Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Election

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys. Thought I'd pop in here and see how things are going in the industry.
Hmmmmmmm.
Alrighty then.......later fellas!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think EA would make a good choice for President. The only thing I can't figure out is how ROAR looks upon the "member in good standing" clause, when he was one of the listed people on the 3.5 fiasco. That association alone could cause issue, but then again, how does ROAR decide if your back in the "good" side of the membership as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey thats my user name!!...lol...I would vote for EA too.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
I think EA would make a good choice for President. The only thing I can't figure out is how ROAR looks upon the "member in good standing" clause, when he was one of the listed people on the 3.5 fiasco. That association alone could cause issue, but then again, how does ROAR decide if your back in the "good" side of the membership as well.
They define "member in good standing" in the rule book actually. If you are banned from ROAR that is when your considered not to be in "good standing" with them according to their own wording.

But also the other two candidates would fall out too since they were part if the whole fiasco as well. If they were to play one side of the card the other side has to play too.

EA
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is an unfortunate mess...

For one, I have no opinion in the matter. I am so jaded that I truly don't think that anyone, as good as their intentions may be can fix a broken, out-dated organization. It probably is not entirely the people, it is more to do with the system.

I do see a lot of industry members speak their dissatisfaction with ROAR. The question is why not organize ourselves as an industry and start something new and fresh? RC has changed so much and is so diversified, that probably the ROAR structure in itself is the reason why seldom situations get appropriately handled. It no longer is a matter of sanctioning 2WD and 4WD offroad plus 2-3 on road classes. The class count probably approaches 30 and counting...

Ultimately, I would like to see 2-4 sanctioning bodies, each to handle their own "brand" of racing, where electric on road is it's own, elctric off road is as well and finally the fuel classes could either stand on their own and/or attach themselves to their electic counteparts. L

The only way this can happen is if the industry does it. Let's be realistic, Membership, as much "pressure" as it may want to exert, would never be able to organize itself appropriately to make a change to the organization. So again, the question is, how much do the RC companies want to see RC Sanctioning evolve into something more adept to the times, more dynamic and enthusiastic?

Anytime this comes up, all I see is words, but never do I see action. If you guys want to see something different demand for action and act upon it. I do think it is time for the industry to rise up, shake off it's fleas and move forward with proactive plans that look into the future of the hobby. It is time we become more dynamic and efficient. We need to seek out a new structure that can better meet the demands of a changing hobby.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling nothing will change, all the RC Companies won't care to plan long term for the health and promotion of the hobby and will once again stand idle while the membership of ROAR keeps being something that means nothing else but the approvals of our products and/or compete in 1 or 2 events per year.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Somebody needs to talk Scotty Ernst into starting a sanctioning body.... He is probably the only one that could do it.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If ROAR were to go away, insurance and approvals seem to be the parts that would be most problematic.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by NutDriver
If ROAR were to go away, insurance and approvals seem to be the parts that would be most problematic.
Approvals are not done by roar any longer. They are tested and approved by independent labs and the. Roar Excom takes a few months to vote to allow the products to be listed on their site.

What's to stop another organization to use those same labs to verify and test products? Unless they refuse obviously but in the end weather they are getting paid from roar or from someone else why do they care? They still get paid to do the same job and prob have less of a hassle.

EA
Old 11-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Team EAM

And personally you can get a lot better insurance coverage for your buildings contents, liability and damage coverage for a decent amount. Most places who already carry insurance can add liability for a little of nothing.

It's what our previous owner did with our place.

EA
Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Approvals are not done by roar any longer. They are tested and approved by independent labs and the. Roar Excom takes a few months to vote to allow the products to be listed on their site.

What's to stop another organization to use those same labs to verify and test products? Unless they refuse obviously but in the end weather they are getting paid from roar or from someone else why do they care? They still get paid to do the same job and prob have less of a hassle.

EA
Any idea what independent labs are being used?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by EricW
Any idea what independent labs are being used?
Yes I know all three of them. The lipo's are actually verified by the lipo manufactures that build them with a UN Certification. The Lipo lab here in the US that ROAR uses verifies the paperwork and that everything matches up.

The Speedo lab does all the testing and paperwork in house and sends it to ROAR.

The Motor lab does all the testing in house and sends it to ROAR as well.

Body's I am actually unsure of. I dont know who does those.

EA
Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think one stumbling block would be the IFMAR connection and what agreement they have with ROAR. Starting a new organization would be similar to what NORCAR was at one time, but the whole world sanctioning body affiliation is the real appeal for keeping ROAR alive. ROAR can and should be fixed, but abandoning it completely isn't the answer either.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Maybe if another org came to into existance, we could actually take advantage of todays manufacturing technology like never before. I know Losi, AE, and HB all had to deal with the "full size" battery issue in their newest line of vehicles. If this kind of bs rule were removed, the inovative design ideas are limitless.

They can argue all they want that it helps keep cost down. But it should be a companys business decison to risk a new design that requires unique accessories to operate. If the design fails, it on the business. But if its a great design, and people want to buy it and the accessories, then so be it.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

The ABA (american bicycle assoc.) had a great system for BMX racing I remember from years past. It tracked points weekly from each region and ranked racers nationally. Might be worth looking into.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I think one stumbling block would be the IFMAR connection and what agreement they have with ROAR. Starting a new organization would be similar to what NORCAR was at one time, but the whole world sanctioning body affiliation is the real appeal for keeping ROAR alive. ROAR can and should be fixed, but abandoning it completely isn't the answer either.
See to me this is the problem. A sanctioning body shouldnt be as concerned about the 5-8% of actual National entry drivers that actually attend a worlds. They should be more concerned with the steady decline of new faces coming into this hobby because if not that 5-8% that do attend the worlds is going to slowly decline too.

I agree ROAR should be fixed.....only time will tell if it is or not. Its hard to help an organization that refuses help (not talking about my situation) but others in general.

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.