R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #466
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rochester Hills Michigan
Posts: 7,232
Default

I've been reading along and trying to think through an idea. I may not be there but hey can't wait forever. To help build Roar and increase membership I’d like to see Roar reach out to the big well attended events. Perhaps not a Roar sanctioned event as they are currently defined, at least to start, but say a Roar affiliated race, create a new category/option. Aren’t there generally some Roar people of some level already at most of these races?

A two-way thing, assist some with the race, gain some positive Roar exposure to the racers, and learn first hand why these races are more popular. Ideally the racers, and perhaps even the race crews, might then be more inclined to be more active in Roar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
........

3. And this is a long shot, but possibly work with the MAJOR non-Roar races and make their events the NATS? For example, 2015 the Carpet Nats are the IIC, 2016 Snowbirds, 2017 the US Indoor Champs, 2018 the MHIC or TZGP, etc.

8th On-road and Nitro TC could use the GLC, WinterNats, etc.
These are all well attended, and well run races, that have tech crews and staff already in place. It could relieve a lot of pressure on ROAR.

......
I like, maybe that’s the way to get started, free up some time like you mention to do some of the other ideas being offered.

Get a group of events in the rotation, and it might even be a way to get a national series going that some would like to see. I've always thought travel to be a barrier to a national series, hey this isn't F1 after all, but the guys who actually win nats generally go to most of these anyway. And the regular racer can go to one of their choice and take pride in making the B, C, or whatever at a Nats event.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #467
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
I've been reading along and trying to think through an idea. I may not be there but hey can't wait forever. To help build Roar and increase membership Iíd like to see Roar reach out to the big well attended events. Perhaps not a Roar sanctioned event as they are currently defined, at least to start, but say a Roar affiliated race, create a new category/option. Arenít there generally some Roar people of some level already at most of these races?

A two-way thing, assist some with the race, gain some positive Roar exposure to the racers, and learn first hand why these races are more popular. Ideally the racers, and perhaps even the race crews, might then be more inclined to be more active in Roar.



I like, maybe thatís the way to get started, free up some time like you mention to do some of the other ideas being offered.

Get a group of events in the rotation, and it might even be a way to get a national series going that some would like to see. I've always thought travel to be a barrier to a national series, hey this isn't F1 after all, but the guys who actually win nats generally go to most of these anyway. And the regular racer can go to one of their choice and take pride in making the B, C, or whatever at a Nats event.
So you are saying take a dysfunctional organization and pair it with races that have already built a good reputation on their own? Lol that's ridiculous. These races are already 'the" races to win. They don't need ROAR they just need racers which they already have.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #468
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
So you are saying take a dysfunctional organization and pair it with races that have already built a good reputation on their own? Lol that's ridiculous. These races are already 'the" races to win. They don't need ROAR they just need racers which they already have.
That is not exactly true. If they did not need ROAR these large popular races would be referencing their own rules but instead they reference ROAR rules even going so far as linking to ROAR's approved product lists. Others that list their own rules copy and paste ROAR's list.

It is more difficult to find a race that doesn't reference "ROAR rules" than to find one that does.

Dave's idea is good although not sure how you can manage it.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #469
Tech Master
 
NITRO 540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stafford Va.
Posts: 1,020
Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default

Should Roar enforce our copyright on our rules to the non-affiliate tracks?

ROAR
30262 Crown Valley Parkway # B 454
Laguna Niguel CA 92677
Phone 949 - 494 - 0515 Administrator@roarracing.com

The ROAR name and logo are trademarks of Remotely Operated Auto Racers and may not be used for any purpose without the express, written consent of ROAR. The ROAR name and logo may not be used in connection with products, packaging, manuals, promotional or advertising materials, or websites for any purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license agreement from ROAR.
ROAR RULES COPYRIGHT © 2013
__________________
Tekno EB 48.3 NB48.3 NT48.3
Team Driver: ProLine, The Nitro shop, M2C racing
NITRO 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #470
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITRO 540 View Post
Should Roar enforce our copyright on our rules to the non-affiliate tracks?

ROAR
30262 Crown Valley Parkway # B 454
Laguna Niguel CA 92677
Phone 949 - 494 - 0515 Administrator@roarracing.com

The ROAR name and logo are trademarks of Remotely Operated Auto Racers and may not be used for any purpose without the express, written consent of ROAR. The ROAR name and logo may not be used in connection with products, packaging, manuals, promotional or advertising materials, or websites for any purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license agreement from ROAR.
ROAR RULES COPYRIGHT © 2013
I don't think that this is necessary at this time. But it could be a way for ROAR to partner with some of these events.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #471
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,832
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
That is not exactly true. If they did not need ROAR these large popular races would be referencing their own rules but instead they reference ROAR rules even going so far as linking to ROAR's approved product lists. Others that list their own rules copy and paste ROAR's list.

It is more difficult to find a race that doesn't reference "ROAR rules" than to find one that does.

Dave's idea is good although not sure how you can manage it.
ROAR Approved motor list is useless in Tech as they no longer publish measurements for Tech crews to use. Open season for some it seems....
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #472
Tech Master
 
Chaz955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,012
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITRO 540 View Post
Should Roar enforce our copyright on our rules to the non-affiliate tracks?

ROAR
30262 Crown Valley Parkway # B 454
Laguna Niguel CA 92677
Phone 949 - 494 - 0515 Administrator@roarracing.com

The ROAR name and logo are trademarks of Remotely Operated Auto Racers and may not be used for any purpose without the express, written consent of ROAR. The ROAR name and logo may not be used in connection with products, packaging, manuals, promotional or advertising materials, or websites for any purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license agreement from ROAR.
ROAR RULES COPYRIGHT © 2013
Isn't it common knowledge many races have been openly using the name and rules for a long time? Not sure ROAR would have much to stand on if they ignored the practice for years and only now want to enforce it. I have a feeling the best ROAR could do is issue some type of cease and desist letter and hope that gets it done which it might as most people don't want the expense of going to court even if they think they might win. If anything this seems to be more of a vindictive move and would likely alienate even more people.

Is there anything to stop a race in the US from saying they are using rules set from the UK (BRCA I think) which I think are largly modeled from ROAR? Is ROAR than going to go after an organization in another country?

While the use of ROAR's rules and logo may be an issue worth addressing at some time the comments on this board it seems ROAR would best be served looking inward for the more pressing issues.
__________________
At The Gate Bizzos
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #473
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Does ROAR own the rights to the test results from approvals? I'm guessing it wouldn't hold up if they tried to say they did since the tests are paid for by the manufacturer directly to the lab.

Lab results = approval for all venues then 'eh?

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #474
Tech Champion
 
jmackani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shippensburg
Posts: 5,562
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
ROAR Approved motor list is useless in Tech as they no longer publish measurements for Tech crews to use. Open season for some it seems....
Those measurements are like the colonels secret recipe for manufacturers. It is not a good idea to publish them. All the measurements you need are in section 8.5 of the rulebook.
__________________
LCRC Raceway http://www.lostcreekcycles.com/lcrc.htm
Proline Racing http:://www.prolineracing.com
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #475
Tech Champion
 
jmackani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shippensburg
Posts: 5,562
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Does ROAR own the rights to the test results from approvals? I'm guessing it wouldn't hold up if they tried to say they did since the tests are paid for by the manufacturer directly to the lab.

Lab results = approval for all venues then 'eh?

Mike Slaughter
If ROAR does not have the rights, then what logic makes you think anyone does outside of the lab and the vendor? In most of the corporate world, this is regulated with non-disclosure agreements.
__________________
LCRC Raceway http://www.lostcreekcycles.com/lcrc.htm
Proline Racing http:://www.prolineracing.com
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #476
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
If ROAR does not have the rights, then what logic makes you think anyone does outside of the lab and the vendor?
Exactly, the vendor does. They can post them up if ROAR feels the need to keep their list restricted from other events. Then other events can use these approvals (with the manufacturers consent of course) for their events.

I figured it was implied that the manufacturer would not want their product to be left off any such alternate list for non-ROAR events.

Each vendor can just put a pdf of the pass/fail report in the motor description on their webpage.

Instant universal easily attainable "approved list" for any USA at least event.

Mike
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #477
Tech Champion
 
jmackani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shippensburg
Posts: 5,562
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Exactly, the vendor does. They can post them up if ROAR feels the need to keep their list restricted from other events. Then other events can use these approvals (with the manufacturers consent of course) for their events.

I figured it was implied that the manufacturer would not want their product to be left off any such alternate list for non-ROAR events.

Each vendor can just put a pdf of the pass/fail report in the motor description on their webpage.

Instant universal easily attainable "approved list" for any USA at least event.

Mike
Simple pass/fail results are one thing. Artifacts collected to make a determination of pass/fail are another story. Manufacturers wanting their product on a list is completely different than making a list of engineering measurements tied to the product. FYI, I am fairly certain even those test artifacts are not normally shared with the vendor unless there is something in question.

Universally attainable if you want to maintain the binder of the approved manufacturers websites with all those pdf files. Nothing instant about that task. Sure, just not realistically useable. So ROAR is maintaining a aggregated collection of those for you.
__________________
LCRC Raceway http://www.lostcreekcycles.com/lcrc.htm
Proline Racing http:://www.prolineracing.com
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #478
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Does ROAR own the rights to the test results from approvals? I'm guessing it wouldn't hold up if they tried to say they did since the tests are paid for by the manufacturer directly to the lab.

Lab results = approval for all venues then 'eh?

Mike Slaughter
This is why the ROAR list is valuable - someone is compiling all the approvals and listing them in one place. Even if manufacturers posted lab results for their approved products tracks will have to seek out the info or manufacturers will have to be sure that the tracks and races list their products.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #479
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
This is why the ROAR list is valuable - someone is compiling all the approvals and listing them in one place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
Universally attainable if you want to maintain the binder of the approved manufacturers websites with all those pdf files. Nothing instant about that task. Sure, just not realistically useable. So ROAR is maintaining a aggregated collection of those for you.
No argument from me on those points. It was in response to if ROAR decided to restrict their materials that big events could go on without much of a hiccup. Sure it might take someone some time to gather a few PDFs on their phone before the event etc.

And honestly if a pass fail from a lab isn't good enough.... Well it's no different, better, or worse than the info we have to go off of now!

Personally I would love to see peace and happiness among all with good racing and turnouts like we used to enjoy. In spite of ourselves.

Mike
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #480
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,233
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

All you would have to do is word a few thing differently and say there different rules. Don't you guys remember the Vanilla Ice , Ice Ice Baby - Queen, Under Pressure copyright case lol.
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:26 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0