Search

ROAR Election

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Regionally racing.

Example: region 12
They want to run 1/8 gas and 1/0 gas. Outdoor.
This means they will have 2 club races and 1 Regional race for this.
The member will be ranked on his or her finishing position for each race and will be awarded points for this. The 2 club races will earn 2 points per position per race.
The regional race will earn you 1 point per postion. The lowest amount of points after the 3 races will be your ranking number.

Example: David Lee wins the 2 club races and finishes 2 @ the regional race.
My ranking number in region 12. 1/8 scale gas on road =6
But Eric Anderson finished 2 @ 2 club races and finished 1 @ the Regional.
Eric Andersons ranking number is 9. David Lee is ranked 1 in region 12.
Eric Anderson is ranked 2 in the point standings for region 12
We both signed up for Pro.
You will be ranked by level.
Pro ranking Champion
Open ranking Champion
Young gun or sportsman ranking Champion
You can have several champions in each region. Based on class and what level you are racing.

More to come
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Your first part is a dead subject with them and no longer worth talking about as it gets some people all butt hurt.

The 38K in legal expenses was due to the D3.5 Lawsuit and settlement. The 9K on a website is pretty outrageous for what they got in my opinion. It seems that they didnt do very much shopping around! Especially if you look at how much was spent each year. They should have the most comprehensive website in RC for those types of expense each year according to several people I know that build websites for a living.

The other expenses seem somewhat more reasonable.

EA
Americaneagle.com wanted multiples of what was spent on the website, and a maintenance fee. The quotes were also run by several outside computer professionals who did not deem them out of line.

I guess we got ripped off.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

By club races you mean a trophy race like a summer classic or the like. club run trophy race.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dragonracing
By club races you mean a trophy race like a summer classic or the like. club run trophy race.
Yes
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NITRO 540
Regionally racing.

Example: region 12
They want to run 1/8 gas and 1/0 gas. Outdoor.
This means they will have 2 club races and 1 Regional race for this.
The member will be ranked on his or her finishing position for each race and will be awarded points for this. The 2 club races will earn 2 points per position per race.
The regional race will earn you 1 point per postion. The lowest amount of points after the 3 races will be your ranking number.

Example: David Lee wins the 2 club races and finishes 2 @ the regional race.
My ranking number in region 12. 1/8 scale gas on road =6
But Eric Anderson finished 2 @ 2 club races and finished 1 @ the Regional.
Eric Andersons ranking number is 9. David Lee is ranked 1 in region 12.
Eric Anderson is ranked 2 in the point standings for region 12
We both signed up for Pro.
You will be ranked by level.
Pro ranking Champion
Open ranking Champion
Young gun or sportsman ranking Champion
You can have several champions in each region. Based on class and what level you are racing.

More to come
What if you do not run all 3 races? How many points are awarded for not running an event? Based on position will be hard to impose a standard consequence for not running in an event. Everyone always wants a drop for the events they can't make.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Can I get about 5 or so guys to volunteer for a conference call?
Please pm me your name and phone number.
I will set up a time for 1 hour slot time for the call.
Agenda: ranking system or other improvements you want to talk about
You dont have to be a current roar member. But you must be someone that can bring this information to the racing community.
Thanks
David Lee
Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Eric's not a club member all the time... Call and listen to him
Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by artwork
All I want is competent transparent leadership that excels at communication about setting the direction on rules for the RC community that align with the rest of the planet.

What we have today is the total opposite of that!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You dont have to be a current roar member. But you must be someone that can bring this information to the racing community.
Thanks
David Lee
Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Tech stuff is expensive. $9k for a few crappy web apps cobbled together is a good deal. ROAR can't afford a $120k year developer to do custom stuff. Unless someone does it for free that's about the best site you're gonna get.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I understand $9k can be a normal amount to spend on a website development and hosting. I just think for $9k it could have been used a lot more productively from what I can tell the website does, but I don't know all the details. I just hope someone is doing some cost benefit analysis and they decided that spending $9k was worth it.

Say $2k was spent on setting up a database and pages for signing up for races. Sure, this might be better than the old school method of just mailing in money or just sending money via PP. But, is it really $2k better than the old school method of having someone take the entry money and manually post the names?

After looking at the website, it uses Bootstrap which isn't too bad to setup. The hardest part is deciding what colors to use for different things. Then you need someone with basic HTML/CSS experience to put it all together, for the layout ROAR has it shouldn't take them too much time (relatively). The forum, anyone can set that up. Literally anyone, copy and paste, then follow the on screen directions, copy and paste the ROAR logo, pick some more settings for how you want it displayed and you're done. The race sign up function could actually take some time to code and setup, I can't really comment since I have no idea how deep it goes. The way a regular member uses it, it could be super basic or pretty in depth.

Thanks
David Lee
Pm'd you. I think the ranking system is a great idea. I entertained the idea a while ago and drew up a system for it, but I'm way to busy to do anything with it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What is "R.O.A.R."?

I always find it strange the "Power" of R.O.A.R. on the r/c world. R.O.A.R. is supposed to be a club - a club with members, a club for members with events, insurance, rules and guidelines for members.

Over the years though it seems the "CLUB" known as R.O.A.R. has been more about R.O.A.R. than about being a club for r/c racers.

I hear things about rules making that they have to be FAIR to r/c manufactures. I call BS on that. R.O.A.R. doesn't have to be FAIR to anyone but it's CLUB MEMBERS.

But, we all know that R.O.A.R. is the U.S. gateway to I.F.M.A.R. and the r/c WORLDS - so we can't let R.O.A.R. crumble, because w/o R.O.A.R. it's hard for mfgs. in the U.S. to get on the World STAGE.

R.O.A.R. is one of those things that MOST of it's members don't really WANT to be members of. But, why is that?

R.O.A.R. doesn't really do anything to make MY or anyone else's r/c experience better or more fun do they? R.O.A.R. does offer tracks and clubs a fairly cheap way of obtaining the needed insurance so many property owners require, but beyond that...what good is R.O.A.R.?

ROAR Member 12-110396 --- Expired since 1/21/2008
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73
Eric's not a club member all the time... Call and listen to him
Will be from now on. Got the reminder set in every calender I own! LOL

EA
Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not that I'm keen on every ROAR action, past or present, or every officer, but I have a hard time with the "what's ROAR done for me" line.

For some clubs, the insurance program is really valuable. For those who race at privately owned or commercial tracks, it's likely you don't appreciate the benefit. For those of us who rely on it, though, it's very cost competitive and from an administrative point of view, it's wonderfully simple. I've been nothing but pleased with it these past many years we've used it. Any follow-on organization would be pressed to improve on it.

From a class rules perspective, can anyone really complain? ROAR has kept pace with changes over time, making adjustments to core classes as technology has evolved. Sure, now and again they seemed a little slow to adapt, and other times a bit preemptive, but all in all, I appreciate the consistent class specs.

The ESC and motor spec programs have certainly been a source of controversy. Many point the finger at ROAR as if they're the sole responsible party. I think that's nonsense. I'm not aware of any racing, R/C or full size, where there isn't a stink brewing or erupting about spec compliance. It's always a brawl between racers, manufacturers, and governing bodies attempting to enforce rules while keeping stakeholders on board.

If there has been one thing ROAR has done over the past five years that argues for its relevance, taking on the modern speed controller and working hard to maintain a credible approval list for spec racing in the face of some stiff challenges has been invaluable.

I'll say it: ROAR saved electric stock racing in the United States.

That's a big one.

But of course, as a rules-based organization that nevertheless tries to to accommodate human fallibility (of the governors as much as governed,) it's inevitable they'll put their foot in it from time to time.

If you want better leadership at the local and national level, then step up. Volunteer your time and effort to run a club. Show up early to help. Show up to race. Support young racers. Instead of talking shit, talk people up. Neither ROAR, nor IFMAR, nor Scotty Ernst is going to swoop in to build our local turnouts. It's on us, local racers, to build our clubs where we live.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

BAM! Well said Todd.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
I don't understand the point - this seems like a bunch of malarkey that will just piss people off and cause even more frustration. How are these changes going to help increase attendance? I don't understand how a ranking system is going to magically make everything better. It seems like a diversion, rather than any real solution... As in, 'oh look, don't worry about the crap governing body, we have a ranking system!'

Also, like Sam asked, why the change in race format?

Maybe I am just bitter, but this doesn't seem to solve anything. I don't think the solution is trying to add carrots to make people race; I think the solution is putting on better races and bringing new people in from the local level. I don't see how a ranking system helps with this. Also, the ranking system doesn't seem to solve any of the issues brought up through discussion in this thread about what's wrong with ROAR...
^This....

Ranking system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.