R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #436
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
I personally think that originally 17.5 blinky was the beginners class. Now that so many have made vta the class of choice for newer racers then there is not a need for 2-3 stock classes. Time to do away with 17.5 both in tc and 12th scale and make 13.5 the class. This would also make the jump to modified much less intimidating for guys wanting to move up down the road.
I think it really depends on the track. I totally agree with 25.5 as the low-end TC class (which should be VTA or Scale Spec like we do in the Northwest). But 17.5 vs 13.5 vs Mod is very track dependent. At our tracks, 17.5 TC is a good step faster than our Scale Spec class, and most of the 17.5 field probably has no business trying to wrangle a faster motor. It's already <1 second per lap slower than full open mod. That said, we do have a healthy contingent of drivers that want something more than 17.5, and as a result we have a healthy Mod TC field. So for our tracks, 17.5 is definitely the right choice, and 3 TC classes isn't too many.

For a smaller club that doesn't have the entries to sustain 3 TC classes, and possibly with a larger track that makes faster motors more comfortable, then maybe 25.5 and 13.5 is the right mix. Or even 21.5 and 13.5.

Also, I don't think you can lump 1/12 scale in there. Some people just prefer pan cars, and from reading various threads over the past couple years (there was a good one in the last week or so here), it seems the consensus is that 17.5 1s is plenty slow for 1/12, even for beginners. With 1/12, it seems it's not so much the power that people struggle with, as it is the crazy grip and response.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #437
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I personally think that originally 17.5 blinky was the beginners class. Now that so many have made vta the class of choice for newer racers then there is not a need for 2-3 stock classes. Time to do away with 17.5 both in tc and 12th scale and make 13.5 the class. This would also make the jump to modified much less intimidating for guys wanting to move up down the road.
I don't know if it is phsically possible to gear anthing higher than a 17.5 in a 1/12th scale car. The pinions are already the size of the tires...

1/12th scale could prob stand to go 17.5/10.5/modified

TC 21.5 or 25.5/13.5/modifed
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #438
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post

Dave Lee will probably enjoy this next question. He already stated what ROAR has to offer in one of his replies. My question is not so much what should ROAR fix, but what does ROAR need to sell that you want to buy? In a tangible world we live in, I am not sure insurance,rules and national championships are on the top of every kids christmas list. I hear the question why should I join ROAR thousands of times. What do you think you should get for $35?
Interesting, no one can answer what they think they can get for $35.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #439
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

All I want is competent transparent leadership that excels at communication about setting the direction on rules for the RC community that align with the rest of the planet.

What we have today is the total opposite of that!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #440
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Roar Ranking System 2015 or 2016
Roar Member Ranking System

I propose we implement this system for the purpose to grow our memberships.
This will increase club count. This will build value to our members. This will change our image. This is a Win Win for Roar and its members. The members want some kind of ranking system. This promotes racing at the grass roots
level.
I have already spoken to the promotors of Large events that are held in this country.
They love the idea. They want to be apart of it next year if we get this going

This is the idea.
Regional and National ranking system.

Regional
Rules
1. Regions must have 3 Roar events in their Region. It can consist of either
On-Raoad or Off-Road or both and all scales. Containing all Roar approved classes.
2. You can only have 1 Regional Level event per class.
3. You can only have 2 club races.(ranking system only).but not limited to other Roar events in Region.
4.Tracks or clubs must be Roar approved and use Roar Rules and guide lines
for events.
5. Only Roar members are to be ranked and be current with their memberships.
6.Quailfiers 3 rounds 5 min.
7.Mains Electric 10 minute Double A's. Nitro 25 min.
All lower mains are 10 minutes
8. Divisions to be ranked in Regional events are
Pro
Open
Young Guns
9. You must have at least 6 racers to make a class to be ranked. ( new rule )

Points system
1.Ranking at a Regional event 1 point per position.
2.Ranking at a club event 2 points per position .
3.The lowest number has the highest ranking.
4.Tie breaker. ( most laps and best times)

Regional membership Fee TBD

National Ranking system

Rules
1.Roar National events that are promoted by Roar will run from the current rule book.
2. Roar National events that are NOT promoted by Roar will run by Roar rules and similar race program.
3.Promoter of a ranked event must have tech inspection and inspectors.
The promoter has a choice to use our SRM's at promoters expense.
4. To be ranked in National ranking system must only run the (Pro Division)
all classes apply to this rule.

National membership Fee TBD

More info to come.
The software for this to make happen is already out their.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #441
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I dont understand 1, 2, or 3 under the regional. Im only allowed to gk to 2 club races as a member or hold only 2 as a track?
SMC - Fantom - Motiv - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #442
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I dont understand 1, 2, or 3 under the regional. Im only allowed to gk to 2 club races as a member or hold only 2 as a track?
agreed. I'd like to see a little clarification. There doesn't need to be more text, just clarification in the wording.

Also, why 10min mains? Why not use the existing ROAR race lengths? A mod sedan may have a hard time completing 10min.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #443
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't understand the point - this seems like a bunch of malarkey that will just piss people off and cause even more frustration. How are these changes going to help increase attendance? I don't understand how a ranking system is going to magically make everything better. It seems like a diversion, rather than any real solution... As in, 'oh look, don't worry about the crap governing body, we have a ranking system!'

Also, like Sam asked, why the change in race format?

Maybe I am just bitter, but this doesn't seem to solve anything. I don't think the solution is trying to add carrots to make people race; I think the solution is putting on better races and bringing new people in from the local level. I don't see how a ranking system helps with this. Also, the ranking system doesn't seem to solve any of the issues brought up through discussion in this thread about what's wrong with ROAR...

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm sure this has been talked about, but the wording of the rule that supposedly excludes EA, it says "for a year prior." He's been a member for many years, so that's greater than one year right?

Second, looking at ROAR's expenses for 2013, there's over $38k in legal expenses, $3k on office expenses, $9k on the website, $1500 on telephone, fax, and email, and $9400 on the website; how do you spend that much on this stuff?! What were all those legal fees for? $9k on the website?! The $1500 I assume is for a fax machine line and phone line.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #445
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do websites for 8999.99
Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #446
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
I do websites for 8999.99
Then where did that last penny go? *conspiracy*

#EA2015
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #447
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
I'm sure this has been talked about, but the wording of the rule that supposedly excludes EA, it says "for a year prior." He's been a member for many years, so that's greater than one year right?

Second, looking at ROAR's expenses for 2013, there's over $38k in legal expenses, $3k on office expenses, $9k on the website, $1500 on telephone, fax, and email, and $9400 on the website; how do you spend that much on this stuff?! What were all those legal fees for? $9k on the website?! The $1500 I assume is for a fax machine line and phone line.
Your first part is a dead subject with them and no longer worth talking about as it gets some people all butt hurt.

The 38K in legal expenses was due to the D3.5 Lawsuit and settlement. The 9K on a website is pretty outrageous for what they got in my opinion. It seems that they didnt do very much shopping around! Especially if you look at how much was spent each year. They should have the most comprehensive website in RC for those types of expense each year according to several people I know that build websites for a living.

The other expenses seem somewhat more reasonable.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #448
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Format should change for electric. With battery power now its crazy that it hasnt. They junp from 4 to 5 min races when amps only went up 1000 or so. Now we have over 7k at our disposal and brushless motors too. Mod will have trouble and making weight, i guess mod guys will just have actually run a full size high mah batt instead of a shorty or low amp packs. But thats racing. But if the international community doesnt change, it will be hard for us to. At least in mod
SMC - Fantom - Motiv - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #449
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post

Legal fees were for trinity d3.5 lawsuit. Website redesign was legitimate compared to other quotes. Voting, taking memberships, forums, linking to PayPal, Nationals entries etc. are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes with the website that might not be so apparent that require databases, etc to be configured and managed. The supporting back end technologies were all in need of a major update.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #450
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Format should change for electric. With battery power now its crazy that it hasnt. They junp from 4 to 5 min races when amps only went up 1000 or so. Now we have over 7k at our disposal and brushless motors too. Mod will have trouble and making weight, i guess mod guys will just have actually run a full size high mah batt instead of a shorty or low amp packs. But thats racing. But if the international community doesnt change, it will be hard for us to. At least in mod
+1 ROAR will only follow what IFMAR allows.