R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
TheEarlyWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Default New to RC any need tips

As showed on the title. i'm a completely new to the RC world. i'm really interested on pursuing this hobby and just purchased a Sakura XI for my first kit. I started researching on this topic and is interested on going to on-road touring cars. as i mentioned i already purchased a Sakura XI sport kit which will arrive in 2-3 days. as i've seen from most reviews i saw that the Sakura XI is prolly one of the most affordable kits out there that can actually compete out of the box.

I need tips since i'm already looking for brushless motors, esc, transmitters, servo and other stuffs which i know nothing about. any tips for a complete beginner on which setup is should go for being a newbie that wouldn't be that expensive but will have the speed i want and actually enjoy the hobby. any recommendations what else to buy to get my Sakura XI kit running in good shape.

Note: English is my second language to please bear with me

-TheEarlyWorm
TheEarlyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Hobby wing juststock esc $50-60
Savox 1251 servo $60. On ebay sometimes i find them for 50 nib.
All top motors are $80-100
Maybe you could start off with a used motor and when you get more competitive you can buy a new one.
Futaba 4pks super r is only $229 on rc mart. I highly suggest you get a high end remote even though your new. That way you dont have to worry about it later on. Make sure you pick up some c hubs and front knuckles. Those are the only parts i ever break.
nene_805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Oh, and make sure all suspension parts move freely. You could use arm reamers but you have to find the correct size for your car. And green slime for the orings.
nene_805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Tekin Rs spec 17.5 combo
Futaba s9551
Futaba 3pm

this would be mid-high end equipment. Buy good the first time since electronics last a very long time. When I first started I spent more buying cheap stuff because as I got better I realized the equipment I had was either slowing me down or not enough features in the electronics.

Another option is buying used esc, radio, and servo. Motor I would buy new. This route should save you money.

Also an extra set arms, c hubs, and steering knuckes
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene_805 View Post
Hobby wing juststock esc $50-60
Savox 1251 servo $60. On ebay sometimes i find them for 50 nib.
All top motors are $80-100
Maybe you could start off with a used motor and when you get more competitive you can buy a new one.
Futaba 4pks super r is only $229 on rc mart. I highly suggest you get a high end remote even though your new. That way you dont have to worry about it later on. Make sure you pick up some c hubs and front knuckles. Those are the only parts i ever break.
Correct, but without a receiver.

The Airtronics mx-v is dirt cheap, and comes with an Rx. Not pretty, but it works.

Turnigy Trackstar motors are around $40 and are not bad for club racing.
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
TheEarlyWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Default

Any thoughts on flysky fs-gt3c? I found some good reviews on this one and is cheap for 50$. I still have 400$ budget to get everything that control is way over my budget now 😰.
TheEarlyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlyWorm View Post
Any thoughts on flysky fs-gt3c? I found some good reviews on this one and is cheap for 50$. I still have 400$ budget to get everything that control is way over my budget now ��.
like I said buy now than later. I know for a fact if you start getting into the hobby you are going start buying new things, and will most likely end up in the mid-to high end equipment. Ive seen it happen too many times
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice
 
TheEarlyWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
Tekin Rs spec 17.5 combo
Futaba s9551
Futaba 3pm

this would be mid-high end equipment. Buy good the first time since electronics last a very long time. When I first started I spent more buying cheap stuff because as I got better I realized the equipment I had was either slowing me down or not enough features in the electronics.

Another option is buying used esc, radio, and servo. Motor I would buy new. This route should save you money.

Also an extra set arms, c hubs, and steering knuckes
If i'm going to buy the Tekin Rs spec 17.5 Tekin Rs spec 17.5 combo and i put it on my Sakura XI what else do i need to buy to make it run? What i see is that i still need to buy batteries, servo, transmitter and receiver. Am i missing anything else cause i'm computing for my total costs.

190$ is a reasonable price for Tekin Rs spec 17.5 combo or i can get it cheaper? And another thing, what would be a good choice for my servo and batteries? Thank you very much 👍
TheEarlyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlyWorm View Post
If i'm going to buy the Tekin Rs spec 17.5 Tekin Rs spec 17.5 combo and i put it on my Sakura XI what else do i need to buy to make it run? What i see is that i still need to buy batteries, servo, transmitter and receiver. Am i missing anything else cause i'm computing for my total costs.

190$ is a reasonable price for Tekin Rs spec 17.5 combo or i can get it cheaper? And another thing, what would be a good choice for my servo and batteries? Thank you very much ��
as for lipos get what you can afford. Servo imo s9551 . Only until you driving is up to the point of not hitting anything, you will start to think of, bodies, lipos, motors etc....
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #10
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The fly skys work kind of weird sometimes. I know the nice remotes are really expensive but when you get the good stuff you dont really have problems anymore. When you buy the cheap stuff you end up spending more because you start to get better find that you need to upgrade to better equipment. Your gonna have to spend a lot no matter what, especially if your gonna be competitve. The spending hurts, but once you get your new equipment its all worth it. All the stuff i listed, you cant really lose with it. This equipment is very reliable. I believe the tekin rs can only handle up to 10.5 so for that price id really recommend the hobbywing for $50. If you decide to run mod you wont be able to with the rs esc and you wont lose big with this juststock once you decide to move up. And all that money you saved you could save it for a better esc once you get better and decide to run with the faster guys.
nene_805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
TheEarlyWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Default

Any other thoughts or option i can go with? Any tip will be a great help for a complete beginner like me 👍
TheEarlyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice
 
TheEarlyWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene_805 View Post
The fly skys work kind of weird sometimes. I know the nice remotes are really expensive but when you get the good stuff you dont really have problems anymore. When you buy the cheap stuff you end up spending more because you start to get better find that you need to upgrade to better equipment. Your gonna have to spend a lot no matter what, especially if your gonna be competitve. The spending hurts, but once you get your new equipment its all worth it. All the stuff i listed, you cant really lose with it. This equipment is very reliable. I believe the tekin rs can only handle up to 10.5 so for that price id really recommend the hobbywing for $50. If you decide to run mod you wont be able to with the rs esc and you wont lose big with this juststock once you decide to move up. And all that money you saved you could save it for a better esc once you get better and decide to run with the faster guys.
Thanks for the reply i really appreciate it. I'm willing to spend but at the same time i dont want to overspend cause i dont know anything about the hobby and will be more comftable to spend if i know what i'm buying since the information itself is a lot to take in for a newbie like me. But i will take your advice to spend on the transmitter. I'm thinking about getting the Futuba 3pm. Any thoughts on this? Also can u specify the motors and esc's and servo names cause there's really a lot of choices when i search and i dont know which is which. Thank you very much
TheEarlyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Hobbying just stock. You could get it on hobbypartz. Its probably the best esc for the price. Actually not even just for the price its a really good esc, you wont regret getting this. Look up some reviews. Reedy, schurrspeed, trinity motors are good. And even the most competitive racers use the savix 1251. Its just a great servo and its not expensive. The reason i recomended a used motor is because your new to hobby and you probably arent gonna be peaking out the motor since you just started. Once you get more competitive you can buy some new ones and try to get every bit of speed you can get out of it.
nene_805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Correct, but without a receiver.

The Airtronics mx-v is dirt cheap, and comes with an Rx. Not pretty, but it works.

Turnigy Trackstar motors are around $40 and are not bad for club racing.
+1 Turnigy trackstar from hobbyking.com - highly competitive for a $30 motor
__________________
Awesomatix A800X | Team SILVERBACK | LRP | R1WURKS | FUTABA
Zhangesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice
 
TheEarlyWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene_805 View Post
Hobbying just stock. You could get it on hobbypartz. Its probably the best esc for the price. Actually not even just for the price its a really good esc, you wont regret getting this. Look up some reviews. Reedy, schurrspeed, trinity motors are good. And even the most competitive racers use the savix 1251. Its just a great servo and its not expensive. The reason i recomended a used motor is because your new to hobby and you probably arent gonna be peaking out the motor since you just started. Once you get more competitive you can buy some new ones and try to get every bit of speed you can get out of it.
Another question. With regards to LiPo's are they all the same or should i get a certain spec or brand to maximize my rc's potential?
TheEarlyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:38 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net