Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC any need tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheEarlyWorm
Another question. With regards to LiPo's are they all the same or should i get a certain spec or brand to maximize my rc's potential?
like I said, when you get good enough where you stop hitting boards and looking for speed. You can can stick to lower end lipos and motors.

Just think,even though there are only a handful of lipo manucaturers. I still bet RC companies are bidding for binned products.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hobby people batteries last a long time. I like them. I personally use reedys because their a bit more powerful.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Honestly, As others have said, spending decent money on the radio gear is the best investment. The Futaba 3PM, or Sanwa MT4 are great in this regard. Radio gear will grow with you through the hobby (I've been doing this 18years, and only on my third transmitter), and it will pay you back long term.
Other items such as servos, ESC's, motors and batteries can all be upgraded over time, and even when you switch classes. Just go for the best you feel you can afford, and go from there.
Bare in mind, when your starting out the equipment used really wont mean too much... the biggest thing is learning to drive and cutting clean laps without mistakes. Don't get disheartened, and stick with it... and remember a lot of guys at the track who make it look easy have been doing it a long time Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for help either
Old 10-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Another question, whats d diffrence between sensorless and sensored?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Smoother powerband with sensored (you will notice the difference on the low end). Essentially, with sensored, the ESC can detect the precise location of the magnet inside the motor, and therefore interact with it at initial acceleration for a smoother throttle feel. With sensorless, the esc does not locate the precice location initially and you may experience cogging at the low end as it struggles to locate the magnet. Thats not to say sensorless is bad; you can limit the cogging by gearing up a bit.

If your looking for a good lipo that won't break the bank, check out SMC.
If you enjoy this hobby like most of us here, your going to spend some loot$$$. It will serve you well not to be penny wise—pound foolish. I've seen plenty of newbies bargain shop in this game and get frustrated with the constant problems their bargains net. So get good equipment.

Last edited by Evo 13; 10-23-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Any thoughts on flysky fs-gt3c? I found some good reviews on this one and is cheap for 50$. I still have 400$ budget to get everything that control is way over my budget now 😰.
Tried one of these radios once when trying to dial-in a fellow racer's car - it's the only radio I've ever used where I truly noticed the latency between transmitter inputs and servo/ESC outputs. The $50 you'd spend on this radio would end up being a waste of money.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Any thoughts on flysky fs-gt3c? I found some good reviews on this one and is cheap for 50$. I still have 400$ budget to get everything that control is way over my budget now ��.
No, No, and No. If low-budget but highly functional is what you're looking for, check out the Airtronics Mx-v. The flysky is pure basher grade stuff that you will not want to compete with. My path would be: mx-v, then if you want to upgrade, keep the rx and sell the radio in favor of a used Airtronics M11. Then you are in the game with pro-quality stuff for not a lot of $$$

As oeoeo327 has said, the latency of the flysky is horrible. Have seen it first hand, the radio truly sucks... do not bother if you plan to race. You'd be better off finding an older FM radio from a proper manufacturer and racing with that. You can find setups like that for around $50 (used) if that is your radio / rx cap.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

thank y'all for all the tips. its clear now that choosing a cheap transmitter is not a good option. hopefully, i can build my first car without any major problems and enjoy the hobby.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

One important tip,buy good tools the first time. Cars will come and go but good tools pay for themselves many times over.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You guys are forgetting the most important part of this hobby!

Just have fun! It might get frustrating at times as you'll hit the boards, break stuff, get yelled at for not marshaling correctly, but don't forget, it's a toy hobby!

And i agree with everyone = get a good radio! It usually comes with 1 receiver too

If you want to save money, Hobbyking motors are good, if you want to race, you need to get a sensored motor, they are smoother than sensorless because the sensor knows where the motor is at. Maybe some one can elaborate for me...

Turnigy batteries are really cheap from www.hobbyking.com - good for starting out. You can look at SMC as well, they have great prices and are great quality. You need to get a "hard case" as they are protected in a crash, most tracks make it manditory too.

You're getting a great esc in the Tekin RS spec, HobbyWING justock is good too. (not hobbyking!)

For the Servo, everyone has suggested great models, i agree with the Savox 1251, it is perfect for touring cars as it's small, fast and strong.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
One important tip,buy good tools the first time. Cars will come and go but good tools pay for themselves many times over.
that's another thing. what tools would a beginner should invest on? i dont know what kind of tools would i need.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cadman1981
You guys are forgetting the most important part of this hobby!

Just have fun! It might get frustrating at times as you'll hit the boards, break stuff, get yelled at for not marshaling correctly, but don't forget, it's a toy hobby!

And i agree with everyone = get a good radio! It usually comes with 1 receiver too

If you want to save money, Hobbyking motors are good, if you want to race, you need to get a sensored motor, they are smoother than sensorless because the sensor knows where the motor is at. Maybe some one can elaborate for me...

Turnigy batteries are really cheap from www.hobbyking.com - good for starting out. You can look at SMC as well, they have great prices and are great quality. You need to get a "hard case" as they are protected in a crash, most tracks make it manditory too.

You're getting a great esc in the Tekin RS spec, HobbyWING justock is good too. (not hobbyking!)

For the Servo, everyone has suggested great models, i agree with the Savox 1251, it is perfect for touring cars as it's small, fast and strong.
thank you for the tip. that really is a great help for me.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

another question when it comes to turns for the brushless motors. what's would be the best turn rating for a complete beginner like me to start(hopefully, something in the middle or even faster cause if it's too slow i might get bored)?

is 10.5T/3730kV a good motor to start for me?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

another question when it comes to turns for the brushless motors. what's would be the best turn rating for a complete beginner like me to start(hopefully, something in the middle or even faster cause if it's too slow i might get bored)?

is 10.5T/3730kV a good motor to start for me?
The motor you should get depends on which class you will be racing in. Since you're a beginner maybe you might want to consider setting your car up for VTA or GT. For VTA you'll need a 25.5 or 21.5 motor depending on your local club rules. GT also uses 21.5 motor so just pick a class and set your car up for it.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

any recommendations for a lipo battery charger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.