Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Thinking of getting old electric car, HPI RS4 Pro 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I saw that, ill probably pick up a set of them. Thanks.

Used the car tonight again on the smooth street hockey rink, it is easily driftable with just slick rubber tires on it. If I locked the rear differential, it would probably be insane at drifting lol. Very fun.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nice. I've been drifting an older rs4 mini http://imgur.com/a/O9VWJ and it is a bunch of fun.

Turnigy makes a nice 2s hard case that fits the chassis pretty well https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21006__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S2P_40C_hardcase_pack_RO AR_APPROVED_.html

There really isn't much out there for diff tuning for the chassis though. If you do happen to get a gear diff out of the sport they are not designed to hold silicon oil. I've tried and only end up with an oily chassis.

I've also looked into the tcxx diff but it is a hair too wide. It can probably be made to fit with some milling but I haven't had the time to try it yet.

For now I'm stuck using the diff tuning "springs". They work but they make the diff action very clunky.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Cool, I'll take a look at that battery. Right now I have my 7 cell 8.4v NIMH in there now...I took off the stock battery holders in for now, and have the NIMH zip tied on to the chassis, but I'd like to get a Lipo that fits and put the battery holders back in. Here are a few pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of getting old electric car, HPI RS4 Pro 2-imag0295.jpg   Thinking of getting old electric car, HPI RS4 Pro 2-imag0296.jpg   Thinking of getting old electric car, HPI RS4 Pro 2-imag0297.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
Nice. I've been drifting an older rs4 mini http://imgur.com/a/O9VWJ and it is a bunch of fun.

Turnigy makes a nice 2s hard case that fits the chassis pretty well https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...APPROVED_.html

There really isn't much out there for diff tuning for the chassis though. If you do happen to get a gear diff out of the sport they are not designed to hold silicon oil. I've tried and only end up with an oily chassis.

I've also looked into the tcxx diff but it is a hair too wide. It can probably be made to fit with some milling but I haven't had the time to try it yet.

For now I'm stuck using the diff tuning "springs". They work but they make the diff action very clunky.
Do you have any experience with that battery? How long it has lasted? How long for run times?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, in my RS4 Mini it will run for around 20-25 minutes. It is running a savox sc1251, castle sidewinder and a tekin 6300kv.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Although you can use stick packs in that chassis it was set up for saddle packs. You can get saddle pack lipos from hobbyking too.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Nice, how long have you owned the battery?
The HPI battery holders that came on the car were the ones for the stick pack. He didn't have the saddle pack mounts. Plus, the size of the ESC goes slightly over where a saddle pack would sit. I took the stick pack battery holders out for now, as my 7 cell NiMH battery pack was too long. That's why it was zip tied to the chassis lol.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

I've had the battery since the beginning of the summer. It probably has about 10 run on it now. You can't beat it for the money.

They also sell a pack that is shaped like the old stick packs. This is one of them (I think they have a few)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html

I don't own one but people say they work pretty good. I like the one I got though just because it last so long and has good punch.

Just so you know it is tight in the stock RS4 stick pack holders but you can fully clamp it down and the wires clear the bracket.

Just look for batteries with these dimensions or smaller: 137 x 46 x 25mm that have the wires come out in the center of the pack and you should be good.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Forgot to mention- Make sure you order from one of the US warehouses. Otherwise you will be waiting months for it to come in.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Also I run a 3s in my Super RS4 Electric. I also had to remove the brackets and run velcro. It's fast as heck so it doesn't bother me at all ;-)

We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

The first one you linked is probably the one I'll go with. Yeah I saw the different warehouses lol.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
Also I run a 3s in my Super RS4 Electric. I also had to remove the brackets and run velcro. It's fast as heck so it doesn't bother me at all ;-)

No battery brackets, because race car.

Lol.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

The pinion gear set screw kept loosening up while running it tonight, causing the gear to float away from the spur gear. Guess I'll have to put some thread lock on it, huh?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, you just need a small dab. You might also want to inspect the threads on the pinion and the set screw to make sure they are not marred up.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Cool, figured just a dab might do the trick. I may end up replacing the set screw...when I was tightening it back down (over and over after it kept slipping off while running it lol), the allen key started to not grab as well. Anyone know the thread size and pitch of the set screw by chance? I can grab one at work but I don't have the car with me to match it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.