Search

TC Shock shimming

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default TC Shock shimming

What's up everyone!

Purchased a used T4 '14 and when it arrive it had the shocks shimmed, both upper and lower, out 2 or 4 mm. This is something I haven't learned much about yet and wanted to ask if anyone would mind sharing what they know about it?

The T4 '14 manual says moving the shocks forward (or backward) helps stabilize the car through chicanes but gives it less mid corner steering. The hudy setup book says the same (obviously).

I also read a post where they were saying the _always_ shimmed the top out 2mm and if you read their setup sheet and it said "2mm" that was adding another 2mm.

So, this brings me to some questions:

Do you want to shim the shock so it always sits perpendicular? (ie if the top is shimmed out 4mm then shim the bottom until its straight up and down)

If not, what's the benefit of having the bottom farther out or the top farther out? What's the effect of a perpendicular shock versus a leaning shock? My guess would be leaning would be the same as laying the shock down.

Cheers!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Like,

There are some that will say that it will generate a little forward bite, although I think its very marginal feel if any. Your last summation is correct as the shock works on 2 dimensional plains. How much is too much though?

I space my shocks out mainly because a lot of time without a spacer they are tight to the shock tower and the shock has very little if any "twist" to it. I like to have as much of the suspension float as possible to eliminate any binding issues. JMO
Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply, Gary.

Do you try and shim your shocks so they stay perpendicular, or do you not care if it has some forward or rearward lean?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I try to keep them perpendicular, taking any wheelbase changes into account. At the moment my rear shocks are out a little more at the bottom than the top, but thats because I have them leaned in all the way and the bottom shock spring locator is touching the arm at full suspension sag.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Cool thanks. Would really love to understand the physics and advanced details behind it!