Wiki Posts
Search

Top 5: 10 scale touring kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
A privateer will not get the same stuff that sponsored guys have. They get the best batteries/motors with numbers that will never make it to the store shelf. The sponsors put aside those special stock for their racers and sell the rest (rejects) to the general public. If you ever wondered why you just can't get that couple tenths of a second no matter how dialed the car is or skilled you are, there is your answer.

The car itself is just the tip of the iceberg.
Very true!! I was told that batteries are better and
that you can keep pace better than in past years...
is that correct?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

In mod racing you can always make up the power difference with a lower turn motor, and extra esc capactors.. The team guys won't have that much of an advantage there....
Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
Very true!! I was told that batteries are better and
that you can keep pace better than in past years...
is that correct?
This trend mostly affects the blinky classes where you need to squeeze every ounce of power from the motor. Batteries are better these days, but some packs have exceptionally low internal resistance, which equates to more punch. Normal consumers will rarely come across stuff like that, or pay some ridiculous amounts of money to get it(if you are not sponsored).

If your club races are a bunch of normal guys just racing for fun, it shouldn't be a problem. But once it starts to get serious, the guys with the connections and/or deep pockets will find ways to get that advantage. I guess that's just the nature of racing.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Reading through this thread i find i funny how many people mention "...how many world titles...." For the beginner or mid level driver looking to step it up, why would you care if a car has won world title? World titles are won in Mod not slower classes. A cars capability and setup window is so different in Mod than slower classes this is a poor way to pick a chassis type. Good example of a car that's superior in Mod on asphalt is the Yokomo. However this car is terrible in stock on carpet.

The question you should be asking is what chassis have won big races in Stock and Super Stock? In the US on carpet there's only 2 cars to mention, Xray and Awesomatix. In fact Awesomatix has won every big race so far in 2014 in the US on carpet. At IIC this year 5 of 10 cars in the Stock A main were Awesomatix.

So look at what surface you'll be running on for the most part and than look at what cars have won 17.5 and 13.5 classes.

Fyi, the Awesomatix doesn't have to cost you a fortune, look for used cars at your local tracks or on RCtech for sale.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Keven Hebert just won the 13.5 Super stock class at the IIC and won the Snowbirds earlier this year, both with a TC6.2. Based on that the TC6.2 must be the car to have! Good choice guys!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
A cars capability and setup window is so different in Mod than slower classes this is a poor way to pick a chassis type. Good example of a car that's superior in Mod on asphalt is the Yokomo. However this car is terrible in stock on carpet.
Out of interest why is the BD7 terrible in stock on carpet.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

bkspeedo, stock is for the most part a big class in the US. You don't see any Yokomo cars winning this class because Yokomo is not really supported in the US. Do they even have any US based drivers? The Awesomatix is very good in stock for 2 reasons.....one they have a US based distributor who pushes the car and two they have mod caliber drivers driving stock....any car would do well under these circumstances.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Teacher
bkspeedo, stock is for the most part a big class in the US. You don't see any Yokomo cars winning this class because Yokomo is not really supported in the US. Do they even have any US based drivers? The Awesomatix is very good in stock for 2 reasons.....one they have a US based distributor who pushes the car and two they have mod caliber drivers driving stock....any car would do well under these circumstances.
Excellent observation. Smart move for Awesomatix to recognize what class has the most relevance for the given market. Even better to keep perpetuating the story that their car alone can polish a turd into a world class driver. Most of the guys I can think of that are driving Awesomatix seemed to be pretty competent with their previous brands. I've no doubt the car is really good, just like a bunch of other cars that are currently for sale.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Smart move for Awesomatix to recognize what class has the most relevance for the given market.
The lack of desire in good numbers to race Mod in the US with the infrastructure you have access to and the sheer population mass is quite an anomaly I feel.

I guess it is sorta equivalent in real world Motorsport too - US drivers commonly aim for Indy or NASCAR as the pinnacle and don't care about F1 etc.

Indy is a pretty darn good and competitive series - but it's sorta equivalent of 13.5 blinky when comparing to Mod/F1
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cplus
The lack of desire in good numbers to race Mod in the US with the infrastructure you have access to and the sheer population mass is quite an anomaly I feel.

I guess it is sorta equivalent in real world Motorsport too - US drivers commonly aim for Indy or NASCAR as the pinnacle and don't care about F1 etc.

Indy is a pretty darn good and competitive series - but it's sorta equivalent of 13.5 blinky when comparing to Mod/F1
Yep, I agree. I dont think people are dismissive of the euro-centric race series as much as they just don't care about them. Do I think it would be more sporting and exciting for drivers to step up to mod after they have some experience in stock? I sure do and being a complete hypocrite I myself have never once raced anything faster than 13.5. Go figure.

Back to RC though. Given the number of kits available I'd probably consider the tracks and surface I run on and see which cars have the most success for similar tracks. I'm sure cars like the BD7 can be made to work for stock carpet but with the team not concentrating on that there will not be many setups available to develop a baseline. Some like the challenge. Some just get frustrated. Know yourself.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
i'm sure cars like the BD7 can be made to work for stock carpet but with the team not concentrating on that there will not be many setups available to develop a baseline. Some like the challenge. Some just get frustrated. Know yourself.
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/yoko...YokomoBD7.html

Definitely more mod than stock on petitrc, but still a good spread - and actually more carpet than asphalt listings. Go figure, cause I would have said there would have been way more of the latter before looking.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cplus
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/yoko...YokomoBD7.html

Definitely more mod than stock on petitrc, but still a good spread - and actually more carpet than asphalt listings. Go figure, cause I would have said there would have been way more of the latter before looking.
Thankis for sharing and good for me as I want the new BD7 in a bad way.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

What infrastructure are you refering too? Do we have the capabiity to build numerous large outdoor tracks? Yes we do, but those that have the $$$ decide to do many other (less risky) things with it.

I am not sure about the part of the world your in, but here in the U.S., we only have the population density needed in a few areas. Most of the country is very spread out. And those in the spread out areas tend to things like hunt, fish, race real cars, ski, play online games ect. RC car racing is predominately a middle class hobby here, rich folks have better things to do. So with lots of things competing for every dollar in
your pocket, rc takes a hit.

In addition to that, having an rc track is an insurance nightmare over here. Drivers stand; dangerous, heavy electrical network; dangerous, small cars hauling ass at turnmarshals just standing on the track; dangerous. And thats not to mention a nitro track that OSHA might get their fingers into. God forbit you spill some fuel.

Its not as easy as it seams, thats why most tracks, for TC anyway, are indoor and smaller, they can bring people in year round regardless of weather.

If you look at the very few places we have asphalt tracks, they are in areas of higher population density and still dont have the numbers of their European/Asian counterparts.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The ETS have a MUCH larger & more competitive stock class than here in the USA
There is no one car that dominates, very close racing all around

Spec 13.5 motors, spec esc, locked timing, spec gear ratios

Any high end car can win the stock class, driver is always the most important piece of the package
Not batteries, motors, chassis etc

A poor worker blames his tools
Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Keven Hebert just won the 13.5 Super stock class at the IIC and won the Snowbirds earlier this year, both with a TC6.2. Based on that the TC6.2 must be the car to have! Good choice guys!

He is right! Case closed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.