Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

VBC WILDFIRE D07

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Check to see if the screws mounting the servo is not loose.

Check to see if the tyres are mounted squarely on the hexs.

If everything is installed symmetrical left to right, then maybe you have a servo that wanders from centre.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yes the servo is brand new.

Tires are new and look symmetrical.

If I put the car on a stand and hit the throttle the wheels spin evenly no wobble. Servo
Old 01-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The only other thing I can think of is a cracked servo horn.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tekin112000
I need a little help from any D07 owners. I build my car everything went together great.

I cannot get it to drive in a straight line. It inconsistently wanders left, goes pretty straight then seems to turn right. I stop, look at everything, then try to get it to go across the kitchen floor straight along the lines of the tile floor but then it goes left.

I adjusted trim levels on transmitter, checked the car on a set up station everything is perfect. Turn buckles measured with vernier calipers, all looks good.

The set up sheet calls for +1 toe angle, so means the wheels should slightly toe out right?

I thought maybe I messed up the rear diff, maybe it pulls to one side, so I took off the rear drive belt so back wheels spin freely, but still the car seams to wander left and then right, with front wheel drive only.

Does slight toe out make the front end wander, could the spool make the front tires not track straight?

Brand new out of the box, never wrecked, I build the chassis on a piece of glass so I think it is flat not tweaked.

My first touring car, so I guessing here.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions you have
If your kitchen floor is polished tile or pretty much anything that is slippery the car will never track straight. If you drive it really slow its should be like it almost crab walks as its moving forward. Unfortunately this is just the nature of a 4wd vehicle with the amount of toe that we run on our setups. Each side is working against each other and is always trying to have one side catch up to the other side. With more traction you wont notice this or even feel it on track.

I had the same question many years ago as I ran my car on polished concrete, Paul Lemiux had the same explination and I suspect nothing has changed, providing nothing is broken or loose on the rest of your car.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

This could be it.

Do you guys run toe out on your touring cars?

On my off road cars i have always run just a touch of toe in so that each wheel points towards the center, less wander better tracking since the wheels both point to the center.

The VBC set up calls for toe out maybe that make it wander
Old 01-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run both toe in front and back. Car runs straight and doesnt wonder
Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a question on the suspension block spacers (sorry if that is the wrong description), what exactly do they do. If I put the 1mm spacers under the blocks what does it do compared to the .5mm spacer?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fanfor18
I have a question on the suspension block spacers (sorry if that is the wrong description), what exactly do they do. If I put the 1mm spacers under the blocks what does it do compared to the .5mm spacer?
It would make changes to the cars roll-center. See here for additional details:

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/3/3.html

-Ryan
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In short, the higher you raise the suspension blocks, the less overall grip you will have at that end of the car.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tekin112000
This could be it.

Do you guys run toe out on your touring cars?

On my off road cars i have always run just a touch of toe in so that each wheel points towards the center, less wander better tracking since the wheels both point to the center.

The VBC set up calls for toe out maybe that make it wander
Front toe out will inherently make the car want to wander. Its usually noticeable with a lot of front toe (excessive toe setting: 1.5 out or more) and / or a front end with a lot of grip due to soft shock settings.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kewdawg
In short, the higher you raise the suspension blocks, the less overall grip you will have at that end of the car.

Thank you for that explanation
Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you for that explanation
No problem. Just remember to readjust your droop and ride height.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

I need some setup help as I am looking to gain corner entry steering. I am currently running Ryan Maker's basic asphalt setup with a couple of changes. First, I am running the F00 front block so no arm sweep, second I am running 2.5 degree of rear toe, and finally I am running 5K in the diff. At the race this weekend it just looks like the faster guys are able to drive in deeper and just turn, where as I would have to tap the brakes and still slow down sooner to make the same turn. Thanks for any help.

Forgot to mention that I am running on medium grip asphalt.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

There are lots of things you can try. Go +1 degree toe out in the front. Lower the front by .5mm or raised the rear by .5mm. Move the front shock out one hole on the shock tower. Just a little more drag brake. Lighter diff fluid like 4000. Have a body that is mounted a bit more forward. Move the front arms back by .5mm. All of these changes should give you a bit more steering. Of course don't make all of these changes at once. Try one at a time.

I need some setup help as I am looking to gain corner entry steering. I am currently running Ryan Maker's basic asphalt setup with a couple of changes. First, I am running the F00 front block so no arm sweep, second I am running 2.5 degree of rear toe, and finally I am running 5K in the diff. At the race this weekend it just looks like the faster guys are able to drive in deeper and just turn, where as I would have to tap the brakes and still slow down sooner to make the same turn. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Increase rear droop a bit. Droop that is, not downstop (lower downstop value).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.