R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #496
DBM
Tech Addict

What is everyone running to keep the weight down on these cars? They definitely seem to run heavy compared to other brands. I've given up on the aluminum chassis, and run the vbc hard bumper for local events, but swap in the lighter mushy stock bumper for regional races. With 309g 6000mAh SMC lipo, 159g D4SS motor, 2.5mm cf kit chassis, and lw pf body, I'm weighing in at 1420g. Oink.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #497
Tech Master

Which car do you have Dennis? My D07 with a airtronics reciever, the sanwa vortex1 esc, Savox servo, Trinity D41S, SMC 6500 pack and a lightweight dart weighs 1280 without weight. My D06 with the Smokem Chassis is lighter, running the same stuff.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #498
Tech Master

For a bumper I am running a big firm (not as hard as the VBC one) for a Trf 417. it is way lighter then the VBC one.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #499
DBM
Tech Addict

I'm running the d06. Accidentally posted in the d07 thread, although other guys in my club have 1420g d07's. Thanks for the tip on the 417 hard bumper. Might have to order one next time I need parts.
Something I have noticed is the inserts in the sweep qts tires are quite heavy. Not sure if the inserts in the sorex 28 premounts that you guys run are lighter. I have some of the light weight blue sweep inserts and they are over 10g lighter for the set compared to the sweep carbon inserts iirc.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #500
Tech Initiate

im really suprised how heavy some cars are.

my d07 chassis has 525g out of the box and with the electronic components ( sanwa srg bls servo, lrp sxx vers. 2 stock spec esc, muchmore 13,5t motor and ip 6000 lipos ) my car has 1336g with a pf speed 6 lw body an ride 34 tires

so i have to add 15g weight for the limit here in europe!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #501
DBM
Tech Addict

Pat, can you post a link to the 417 bumper that you are using?

I'm also thinking of ordering an orca power+ 6000mAh lipo due to their advertised 269g weight, but I'm a bit apprehensive about it due to not being able to find any feedback on them. I also can't help but think that there must be a compromise in their performance in order to be so much lighter than any other 6000mAh 75C lipo.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #502
Tech Master

Its tamiya 54145
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=3282
Old 07-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #503
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
What is everyone running to keep the weight down on these cars? They definitely seem to run heavy compared to other brands. I've given up on the aluminum chassis, and run the vbc hard bumper for local events, but swap in the lighter mushy stock bumper for regional races. With 309g 6000mAh SMC lipo, 159g D4SS motor, 2.5mm cf kit chassis, and lw pf body, I'm weighing in at 1420g. Oink.
I installed a Ti and aluminum screw set to lower the weight of the car. Of course your equipment will definitely play a big part in the total weight of the car. I'm using a Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1. I believe it's one of the bigger, heavier speedos. I'm using the aluminum spool and lightweight spring steel outdrives. Depending on the weight of the body, my car hovers around 1390 - 1400g. If, you remove your sway bars and set the car up to work without them, I'm sure you'll see a noticeable reduction in weight. 😉

**Using a Savox 1252 servo (low profile) and Airtronics 471 receiver (micro).
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #504
Tech Regular

I'm using LRP motor esc combo , ko low profile servo and electronics. Aluminum upper deck screws with titanium everywhere else. Fantom 6000 Light weight body and I'm 1380 exact..
Novarossi racing Engines ~Ko Propo, ~Avid Bearings..
VBC Racing Wildfire D07 ~LRP Electronics ~ Fantom Racing
NITTO550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #505
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys, what do your tires and bodies weigh ??? If you run pf lightweight body(90grams), and sweep tires(120+grams), you will be way overweight from the guys running the 0.5mm blitz bodies(60grams) with Sorex jb tires (96grams).... That's 54grams extra for less performance...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #506
Tech Regular

My setup is with Pf lightweight bodies and sweep tires. With weight you have to pay attention to details such as wires uniballs turnbuckles... Getting the vbc d07 was easy to get it down to weight. Awesome car!
Novarossi racing Engines ~Ko Propo, ~Avid Bearings..
VBC Racing Wildfire D07 ~LRP Electronics ~ Fantom Racing
NITTO550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #507
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anybody running long shocks on d07 with good set up?
haura415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #508
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great setup Rich D., with lots of room for improvements...My Awesomatix A700ex weighs 1352grams with blitz body and Sorex jb tires. No way to make it go down to 1380grams with sweeps and Pf bodies, unless you remove some necessary strength hardware... Anything under 1399grams is Ok to me.... See you at the track...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITTO550 View Post
My setup is with Pf lightweight bodies and sweep tires. With weight you have to pay attention to details such as wires uniballs turnbuckles... Getting the vbc d07 was easy to get it down to weight. Awesome car!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:40 AM   #509
Tech Apprentice

Default GOING IN CIRCLES ON DROOP

Hi guys

I was an xray user, and downstops were all measured at the end of the suspension arm front and rear.

Now the correct way to fully meaure droop is:
1. set ride height
2. raise it until tyres are just about coming off the ground
THIS MEANS YOU HAVE THE TRUE DROOP VALUE
3. I would then make sure that on the downstops these are then made accurate on each side.

Now - the wildfire... now before I go on I want to say:
First of all I am happy with the build - although not quite up there with an Xray - it was good nevertheless, and the spec is brilliant.
Second - DCJ's up front - nice..
Third - love the roll bars
Fourth - nice colour

VBC ought to do the following:
1. have a gear ratio chart - in 64 and 48dp
2. set out what internal gear ratio is
3. tell us where downstops are measured

That brings me to droop, where are people meauring it? is it:
1. The pin that goes via the rear hub at the centre of it (I have done it under the pin after pulling it out a tiny bit to rest on my droop tool - this is so as to maintain consistency and no margin to approximate the centre of the pin)
2. Is it under the rear hub?
3. What on earth are people doing up front?

CAN I JUST INVITE THOSE POSTING SET UPS TO COME UP WITH A SINGLE UNIVERSAL SYSTEM LIKE THE OTHER MANUFACTURERS AS IT WOULD REALLY HELP THIS KIT!

I am saying this coz I like the car, and the UK importer, SMD are really good guys - not just with this product but anything and everything else (I have in inside interest BTW)

Last edited by Loheswaran; 07-12-2015 at 03:49 AM. Reason: typos
Loheswaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 AM   #510
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
Hi guys

I was an xray user, and downstops were all measured at the end of the suspension arm front and rear.

Now the correct way to fully meaure droop is:
1. set ride height
2. raise it until tyres are just about coming off the ground
THIS MEANS YOU HAVE THE TRUE DROOP VALUE
3. I would then make sure that on the downstops these are then made accurate on each side.

Now - the wildfire... now before I go on I want to say:
First of all I am happy with the build - although not quite up there with an Xray - it was good nevertheless, and the spec is brilliant.
Second - DCJ's up front - nice..
Third - love the roll bars
Fourth - nice colour

VBC ought to do the following:
1. have a gear ratio chart - in 64 and 48dp
2. set out what internal gear ratio is
3. tell us where downstops are measured

That brings me to droop, where are people meauring it? is it:
1. The pin that goes via the rear hub at the centre of it (I have done it under the pin after pulling it out a tiny bit to rest on my droop tool - this is so as to maintain consistency and no margin to approximate the centre of the pin)
2. Is it under the rear hub?
3. What on earth are people doing up front?

CAN I JUST INVITE THOSE POSTING SET UPS TO COME UP WITH A SINGLE UNIVERSAL SYSTEM LIKE THE OTHER MANUFACTURERS AS IT WOULD REALLY HELP THIS KIT!

I am saying this coz I like the car, and the UK importer, SMD are really good guys - not just with this product but anything and everything else (I have in inside interest BTW)
have a look at these posts.
VBC WILDFIRE D07
VBC WILDFIRE D07
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote