R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #346
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,345
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

c05 and c10 blocks on order, cheers... not sure i ll bother lucas whom i ve never talked to, we ll try the car stock first, then start from there!

and, yes, airwave s ride was fast as hell a czple of weeks ago, not sre what happened during the mains, but this was the fastest i ve ever seen him run

a+
Paul
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 AM   #347
Tech Regular
 
midse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 329
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Dcj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewdawg View Post
bearings and c-hubs were good.

If you use v1 Roche Dcj with the newer v3 knuckles then the bearings actually almost always bind and mount slightly wider in the knuckles than the v1 and v2 knuckles. I'm assuming it's either a new tooling and or the harder plastic sets slightly thicker. Whatever the reason.

The fix is to buy the newer Roche/Radtec or arrowmax Dcj with the lightened centre axle shaft ( the drive pin hole is drilled wider to account for this change) or if you wish to use the v1 Roche shafts then you can try filing/sanding the bearing face off the hex which isn't a guaranteed fix. You might then have to test it in multiple sets of knuckles before finding some that don't cause the bearings to bind...

You'll also need to fit a .1 shim to account for the introduced slop and ensure the hex doesn't bind even more on the bearing. OR do what I did . Use your perfectly good 14 month old Roche v1 Dcj and purchase some 10mm alloy rod, Dremel a slot on the end and gently use it as a flat drill bit to file a very small amount of the bearing mount inside face.
midse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #348
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,345
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Compiling setup sheets... what is it about yokomo springs that people want to use it over the stock ones? Looks like stiffness is about the same range. Is the "feel" different?

and about using them - I read Korey recommended to cut the bottom ballcups, wouldn't be using yokomo ballcups a bit more practical/consistent? Cutting exactly straight at exactly 1.75mm isn't that easy...

I know, I'm probably overthinking this

Thanks folks!
Paul
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.

Last edited by Lonestar; 03-30-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: typos
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #349
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Yokomo springs.. I never use them. Car is a bit more easy on high traction, but always slower! It's my feeling..

Don't cut ballcups, use raceberry shock tower

For outside, I always use HPI Silver. Car is not faster but a lot more easy to drive over 5minutes! Need raceberry towers and change the shock length... But it was with d06 car. I'll try the d07 on my outdoor track this weekend, for the first time!
nicoo2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 AM   #350
fmm
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 99
Default

Does anybody knows any good chassis protector for the D07?

Thank you in advance
fmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 AM   #351
Tech Addict
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 721
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

If I can add something about this setup... Indeed very efficient, very precise, despite the fact that a little bit more steering would be an asset, just as you noted on the setup sheet...

A very important point are the 2mm spacers to counter the bump-steer... I had to go for 0mm because my knuckle was fragile and the car become more incisive in the corners.

You are considering the C05 in the rear to make the rear train wider but did you already try C05 in the front to make the front train narrower?

Personally, I found the car very smooth, and people whom tried it find it too smooth, not aggressive enough lol
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 AM   #352
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
If I can add something about this setup... Indeed very efficient, very precise, despite the fact that a little bit more steering would be an asset, just as you noted on the setup sheet...

A very important point are the 2mm spacers to counter the bump-steer... I had to go for 0mm because my knuckle was fragile and the car become more incisive in the corners.

You are considering the C05 in the rear to make the rear train wider but did you already try C05 in the front to make the front train narrower?

Personally, I found the car very smooth, and people whom tried it find it too smooth, not aggressive enough lol
In front : C10 and F00. Car is more smooth and less aggresive in corner entry.

Rear : C05 E30. Give a bit more steering in corner entry. But lost some corner speed. So it's good for small track. On open track, like ETS, C00 and E30 give more corner speed.

I also play a lot with screws under motormount.

With the D06 on outside track, I was running E10 and C10. Ultra narrow, with a lot of steering. During winter, I tried E15 and C05 but it's too much steering.

And yes, d07 is really smooth, this is why I love this car. Just drive easy, no need to push... Less mistake, more faster
__________________
Team Awesomatix / Team Roche / Team Corally / Wild Turbo Fan
nicoo2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #353
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,345
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoo2k4 View Post
Yokomo springs.. I never use them. Car is a bit more easy on high traction, but always slower! It's my feeling..

Don't cut ballcups, use raceberry shock tower

For outside, I always use HPI Silver. Car is not faster but a lot more easy to drive over 5minutes! Need raceberry towers and change the shock length... But it was with d06 car. I'll try the d07 on my outdoor track this weekend, for the first time!
Thanks for the advice For now, I'm still inside, so I'll stick to VBC springs, sounds like a better solution anyway. I have HPI Silvers for the outside, we'll see in due time.

Jon - I know what track you tested this at Remember that with the tires we were using, all cars were missing steering anyway (mine included), especially as the day went by, only Raf's car was turning in properly somehow (and that's what allowed him in two laps before the end).

I have my kit, springs, hopups, I'll start building it this week, with the alum chassis right away. Can someone point me to a starting setup for a medium grip carpet with ridiculously lazy tires that prevent the car from rotating? For reference, on my BD7 '15 I was running 500 oil all around and low front RC + high rear RC, 2.5 rear toe, front arm sweep, 1mm ackerman shims, same springs F/R, full lock, lots of rear droop, etc... and the BD7 isn't supposed to be lazy at all as most of us know. That's for a flowing (still with a few hairpins), mid-to-large-sized track, 13.5 boosted.

Thanks!
Paul
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #354
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,368
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Does anybody knows any good chassis protector for the D07?

Thank you in advance
Epic 1 Designs chassis protectors are awesome. They can be peeled back for maintenance on the car and then reapplied with no issue. Usually available at Gridworksracing.com. Seem to be out of stock at the moment.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #355
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,345
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I started the build yesterday, with the rear diff and spool.

This is an engineer's car... there are many tricks in the diff design. The super smooth rings, the notch to ensure you put it at the right place, the thick "plastified" gasket, and the icing on the cake the extra holes on the gasket so it doesn't rotate with the assembly. That is totally brilliant, I can't believe it hasn't been done before! The bd7 has notches in the paper gasket but it sure isn't as practical. On the downside, the mold flashings on the satellites at the injection point (crap, that makes me remember i didn't check the planetaries...) are shocking and must be sanded out carefully. Diff feels fine once built but will still be better after a few packs of break-in

I cannot say I like the spool as much though. CA'ing the flange? C'mon... I thought the 21st century started 15 yrs ago. Of course I did a mess with the CA. CA is for tires, damnit... Composite outdrives, I have mixed emotions too, plus you can't check the wear visually as its. Does anyone know of aftermarket (or other brand) alloy outdrives that fit?

Next are shocks... I've only heard good things about them, I was told they are Roche shocks actually, is this the case? Can't wait!

Paul
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:46 AM   #356
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I started the build yesterday, with the rear diff and spool.

This is an engineer's car... there are many tricks in the diff design. The super smooth rings, the notch to ensure you put it at the right place, the thick "plastified" gasket, and the icing on the cake the extra holes on the gasket so it doesn't rotate with the assembly. That is totally brilliant, I can't believe it hasn't been done before! The bd7 has notches in the paper gasket but it sure isn't as practical. On the downside, the mold flashings on the satellites at the injection point (crap, that makes me remember i didn't check the planetaries...) are shocking and must be sanded out carefully. Diff feels fine once built but will still be better after a few packs of break-in

I cannot say I like the spool as much though. CA'ing the flange? C'mon... I thought the 21st century started 15 yrs ago. Of course I did a mess with the CA. CA is for tires, damnit... Composite outdrives, I have mixed emotions too, plus you can't check the wear visually as its. Does anyone know of aftermarket (or other brand) alloy outdrives that fit?

Next are shocks... I've only heard good things about them, I was told they are Roche shocks actually, is this the case? Can't wait!

Paul
Hi Paul,

For spool outdirve, you must use composite version. They are unbreakable!
I did 3 ETS, 4Nats rounds and a lot of testing without any issue... Im running 4.5T motor...

For shock, they are great! U just should add a small shim (0.1) Under the piston
__________________
Team Awesomatix / Team Roche / Team Corally / Wild Turbo Fan
nicoo2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:15 AM   #357
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,345
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoo2k4 View Post
For shock, they are great! U just should add a small shim (0.1) Under the piston
Will do, thanks for the tip. I really like (on paper at least) the fact that there's composite shaft guides on both sides of the o-ring in the cartridge. I can't understand why most manufacturers let the shock shaft get scratched on the alloy shock body.... again, this is an engineer's car (notwithstanding that stupid CA spool thing)
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #358
Tech Addict
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 721
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

If you can have a spool molded for the half of the price of a monobloc one and use a little bit of CA, that's an engineer's solution ;-)

You have a more beautiful spool in option ^^
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #359
Tech Elite
 
Yokomo_Ant3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,404
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I started the build yesterday, with the rear diff and spool.

This is an engineer's car... there are many tricks in the diff design. The super smooth rings, the notch to ensure you put it at the right place, the thick "plastified" gasket, and the icing on the cake the extra holes on the gasket so it doesn't rotate with the assembly. That is totally brilliant, I can't believe it hasn't been done before! The bd7 has notches in the paper gasket but it sure isn't as practical. On the downside, the mold flashings on the satellites at the injection point (crap, that makes me remember i didn't check the planetaries...) are shocking and must be sanded out carefully. Diff feels fine once built but will still be better after a few packs of break-in

I cannot say I like the spool as much though. CA'ing the flange? C'mon... I thought the 21st century started 15 yrs ago. Of course I did a mess with the CA. CA is for tires, damnit... Composite outdrives, I have mixed emotions too, plus you can't check the wear visually as its. Does anyone know of aftermarket (or other brand) alloy outdrives that fit?

Next are shocks... I've only heard good things about them, I was told they are Roche shocks actually, is this the case? Can't wait!

Paul
Hi Paul,

I use these aftermarket parts for the spool:

7075 Aluminum Spool Shaft B-02-VBC-0094
Lightweight Hardened Spool Outdrive A-03-VBC-0106

For shocks, I use .2mm shim for piston.

Antoni
__________________
Antoni Caretti

Team Yokomo - Racing Performer - Sweep Racing
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #360
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 157
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
Hi Paul,

I use these aftermarket parts for the spool:

7075 Aluminum Spool Shaft B-02-VBC-0094
Lightweight Hardened Spool Outdrive A-03-VBC-0106

For shocks, I use .2mm shim for piston.

Antoni
Does it matter what way the piston sits as it has 2 different faces
xterray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:31 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net