R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Different solders = ??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/84072-different-solders-%3D.html)

josh69162 09-14-2005 05:36 PM

Different solders = ???

Hi, I was just wondering what my options are for solder. Has anyone had any experience with the Dean's solder, or is it just overpriced crap? I know there are different contect %'s, and different ratings, such as 60/40, 30/70. Can anyone explain these terms and maybe provide a good type of solder to buy?
-Josh

DOMOisCOOL 09-14-2005 05:40 PM

Hi,

In my opinion, the Deans Solder is great. It bonds well. However, you can get a much larger "roll" of solder that bonds well for about the same price (Radio Shack, Fry's).

60/40 or whatever number means how much Tin/Lead (correct me if i'm wrong) mixture is in the solder.

josh69162 09-14-2005 05:44 PM

Why would lead be used in solder. It has high restistance, right? Is it the low melting point that makes it practical?
-Josh

koabich 09-14-2005 05:44 PM

Deans is very good solder and would definately not call it over proced crap! I use the Acer solder and would never look back (it's probably 3 times the cost of deans).
Higher silver content will do several thiongs for you. The more silver in the solder...
...the more expensive it will be.
...the higher the melting point is.
...the less electrical ressistance there is and the more conductive the joint is.
...the higher strength the joint will have (assuming it's a good joint).
...typically the less lead the solder will have it (lead is the absolute worse item to have in solder for a conductive, low resistance joint).

Is it worth the money, I think so. But if you are just bashing, getting started in the hobby, or if you have a poor soldering iron, I wouldn't waste your time or money.

josh69162 09-14-2005 05:47 PM

What type of tip temperature are you looking at for high silver content solder?
-Josh

koabich 09-14-2005 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by josh69162
What type of tip temperature are you looking at for high silver content solder?
-Josh

\

Acer Racing says it's solder has a melting point of 430F. Their solder has the highest silver content (6%) and lowest lead content (94% tin lead free) of any RC solder I am aware of.

josh69162 09-14-2005 05:52 PM

What kind of tip temperature is required for building battery packs? I know hotter is better, but is there a "too hot" end of the spectrum? I've had all my battery packs soldered for me, so I'm a bit new at this. And after crunching some numbers, the deans solder purchased with 16oz at Tower's price, it should be only 6 or 7 bucks cheaper... :nod:
-Josh

rcnewb2004 09-14-2005 06:27 PM

A hot iron about 450F max is very good.

The most important thing however is not to leave your iron on your batteries for more than a couple of seconds. Exposure to long durations of heat will kill your batts.

Sushi Man 09-14-2005 08:35 PM

yeah I use my dads hanko , silver works great. I also think a high watt solder works better.