R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Another RS4 Rally thread?

Ok so instead of mucking up IH8VTEC's RS4Rally thread, I'm going to start my own. I bought one of these brand new when I was in college (probably 2000 or so). Put it together, ran it a few times and shelved it. I dug it out a couple of years ago and stuck a cheap HK brushless system in it. Now I somehow have four or five RS4 Rallys at any given point. And I still don't drive them. Just a sickness I guess. So this will be my rambling 'what's going on with my Rallys' thread I guess.
This is the original fresh out of a box in the basement a couple of years ago:

And the sweet old school brushed setup. The motor lasted aprox 45 seconds on a fresh 2S lipo.

After I roached the old motor, here is the brushless setup I tossed in.

Nearly perfect bottom:

Last edited by mountainman13; 10-04-2014 at 02:02 PM.
mountainman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

So now I've decided that I would like to restore this flame breathing beast to a shelf queen using all of the good stuff I couldn't afford as a ramen noodle eating, Old Style swilling college student. Many of nights have been spent surfing the 'Bay and these right here forums scooping up parts and whole cars for parts to build my ultimate rally.

First things first, a teardown was in order to clean off almost 15 years of dust and a about 10 battery packs worth of shop floor grime

Here is the poor, poor Pro2 that will be my sacrificial lamb for my ultimate Rally

Old school RS4aphiles--you know what you are looking at and how hard they are to find nowadays

Here is the original ESC, Batt, and a brand spankin new Trinity Point Blank motor that I planned on putting in

As bad I want the rare-ish Point Blank in there, the damn-near new Trinity X-star went with the purple overload that this car was about to become, so it got the vote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Various stages of assembly

I probably shouldn't be opening stuff like this

For the record-Pro2 front shock towers will fit the Rally

The purple really is obnoxious and I am not a big fan of the color in any way, shape or form, but you really can't put any other color on an old school HPI, can you?

By the way, the purple spacers were jacked from the Pro2, as well. These things are hard as hell to find. There is one set on eBay right now, and they want almost $40 for them. And now that I see those water spots on my shelving, I will be spending the next hour cleaning.

Last edited by mountainman13; 10-04-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nice build. Can't wait to see the rest. You think the spacers are a tough find, wait till you look for the anodized screws. I bought a complete car just for the screws lol.
IH8VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I found a couple packs of the screws. Holy crap, I don't need them that bad
Old 10-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nice looking rally!

In one of the pictures it looked like the front belt pulley was tightened all the way down. You want it just tight enough to make sure it doesn't skip (pretty loose really). Otherwise you will be creating a lot of unneeded friction.

Are you going to run the car?
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I definitely won't be running that one. I have a couple more that are candidates for my runner, just haven't decided which one yet.

This one is currently set up as the runner but it's pretty nice, nearly perfect really, so I think it's going to donate it's electronics to one of my rougher ones.

It's stupid fast with a Traxxas Velinion system in it.

Last edited by mountainman13; 10-13-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

How does it handle with the red/green springs? I just have blacks all around.
900hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I honestly couldn't tell you. I've only ran this one long enough in my driveway to discover that one of the tires wasn't glued
Old 10-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nice work...

I have an old HPI RS4, I think I got it in 96', pulled it out of storage....lol seeing this makes me want to fire it back up again and ditch the brushed system for a nice "newer" BL system....to run in it.

You've gotta love Rally!!! WRC is #1!!!

Good Luck!

Last edited by OGRC; 10-07-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: World Rally Car!
OGRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Well I was getting ready to take the Velinion setup out of my runner, only to discover that the frame has been hacked to fit the motor in and it wasn't quite as nice as I remember..hmm

Sooooo...I did the right thing and loaded a battery up and roached a brand new set of tires in the driveway

This thing is fun as hell and looks badass just tearing around a small area. Taking it to work tomorrow so I have some room to get some top speed runs in. On bald rally tires.

If I have time this weekend, I plan on rewiring her. I'm kind of OCD with my wiring, so this car is driving me nuts.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Got a body and have been slowly making progress on that. Man I love how shiny a new body is when you first pull that film off.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

I have an assembled never-ran original RS4 Rally on the 'bay right now. Trying to thin the collection a little bit.
Link>>>>New RS4 Rally

Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What are your plans for the alloy pro 2 shocks? If you're not using them and you want to get rid of them let me know.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
What are your plans for the alloy pro 2 shocks? If you're not using them and you want to get rid of them let me know.
Not really sure yet. I have them torn down and cleaned up right now and was actually thinking of using them on my display Rally, but I haven't checked ride height with them yet. You can shoot me an offer, but I'm in no hurry to get rid of them. They're pretty badass.