Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Light Weight Body Shells!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
This is one of the things that killed foam sedans. Parma sold their Alfa bodies in .020" lexan. They worked fine on all cars, including mod cars. So much so, that it was pretty much standard you had to run that thickness of body. This began the spate of body tucks with any type of contact or improper wheel well trimming.

The bodies can rip but they actually take contact better since they are so flexible. I saw somebody turn one completely inside out, and back again, no harm
Thank you robK - the voice of reason in this conversation.
I took photos of the 50 gal. garbage cans overflowing with one-color ultra liteweight Alfa bodies at a few big sedan races - back in that era. They were one-run, two-run or three-run bodies. The average racer was extremely lucky to get a full weekend out of an Alfa XLW body. Half the race winners were determined by who had the least number of body tucks. Turn marshals hated them because they were damaging the bodies by accidentally distorting them while marshalling. Painters didn't want to touch these bodies because their razor blades would either go through the lexan or accidentally leave a score line that would ultimately tear through or cause a fold.

Guys were adding body mounts and extra supports, and loading on the shoo-goo thereby negating half of the weight savings - and adding more work at the same time.

I wanted nothing to do with them. They were helping to kill some classes that were already in serious decline at the time. It took a while, but eventually sound minds prevailed.

WE @ PROTOform value our customers and respect the hard-earned dollars they invest in the hobby they love. Desperate companies do desparate things - and the cycle seems to constantly repeat itself.

Best regards - Dale Epp - PROTOform
Old 10-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After more reading on these super light weight bodies, I will have to agree they are not good for the hobby. Body tucks and unneeded work is definitely something I do not want to deal with and I am happy to report that the light weight protoform ltc-r never experienced them. Looks like protoform nailed it in terms of how thin a body can be.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Maybe it's time for a higher quality lexan material that will not tuck easily while only weighing 10grams.... All the current bodies will be useless then...lol....
Old 10-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Maybe it's time for a higher quality lexan material that will not tuck easily while only weighing 10grams.... All the current bodies will be useless then...lol....
Maybe we need graphene body shells
Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Talking

Clear graphene specifically....lol.... Engineers, get to work!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If such a thing were possible, someone else would come out with a version half as thick at 5 grams and we'd still be in the same boat only with bodies costing much more due to the new tech.

Perhaps a better option for big races would be to have a body minimum weight.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

Body minimum weight or spec body ???
Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

If new super lightweight yet still durable body shells came out and they were expensive, I won't be a supporter. Lets face it, bodies are consumable items for anyone who races their cars regularly.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Body minimum weight or spec body ???
A spec body could still be shaved or sanded.