R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #556
Tech Fanatic

Default TOWER HAS THE PRO 5

I received an email from Tower yesterday, they now have the PRO 5 in stock (limited stock).

Last edited by John Wallace2; 08-13-2015 at 09:36 AM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #557
Tech Rookie

Default Breaking c hubs LOTS

Hi is anyone else having the same trouble as I am. The carbon graphite c hubs are so weak and break on the slightest knock. Haven't tried the TCXX hubs yet but does anyone know if the BD7 c hubs would fit??
Samj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #558
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Chrisgt2 Send a message via Yahoo to Chrisgt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samj87 View Post
Hi is anyone else having the same trouble as I am. The carbon graphite c hubs are so weak and break on the slightest knock. Haven't tried the TCXX hubs yet but does anyone know if the BD7 c hubs would fit??
The ones that came with the kit were not made from the correct material, the replacements will not break so easily.

Also, the TCXX hubs will fit but need shimmed
Chrisgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #559
Tech Addict

There's a Pro 5 listed on eBay, I believe Superior Hobbies has it
Old 08-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #560
Tech Rookie

Default Breaking c hubs

I've had new c hubs and they still break just as easy three have broken in one nights racing literally just clipping an apex trying to get my lines tight. The material they are made of is not up to scratch. I'm trying to get some aluminium c hubs but they are not made yet for the pro 5. I can get some bd7 aluminium c hubs but would they fit? Both cars look very similar. Anyone tried this?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #561
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've had new c hubs and they still break just as easy three have broken in one nights racing literally just clipping an apex trying to get my lines tight. The material they are made of is not up to scratch. I'm trying to get some aluminium c hubs but they are not made yet for the pro 5. I can get some bd7 aluminium c hubs but would they fit? Both cars look very similar. Anyone tried this?
Idk, I haven't broken any replacement c hubs, all 4 of my originals broke immediately.
Are your axles sticking out past the wheel?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #562
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ive gone thru 5 packets of c hubs glad its not only me. apart from that the car is soo fast. i'm leading class and hold both race and lap records
jonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #563
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonston View Post
ive gone thru 5 packets of c hubs glad its not only me. apart from that the car is soo fast. i'm leading class and hold both race and lap records
Yeah the car is awesome and handles well but I can't handle the amount of c hubs I'm going through. Some might say don't crash haha but it's literally slight knock for me and bang get the spares out! Hopefully hot bodies bring out some stronger parts? It has only been out 4 months 😁
Old 08-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #564
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgt2 View Post
The ones that came with the kit were not made from the correct material, the replacements will not break so easily.

This is weird. The material we use for our c-hub is not anything wrong and we haven't changed because of that. We are planning to release softer ver of c-hub as we need some more flex in certain situation but they are not for more durability.

Thanks
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #565
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgt2 View Post

Yes the c-hubs from tcxx also work on the pro5 but they will change geometry quite a lot. king pin position, axle height, track width, scrub radious will be changed so the droop setup, track width bed to be adjusted accordingly. However, the durability wouldn't change much by using tcxx hubs.

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:33 AM   #566
Tech Rookie

Default Durability

Maybe they should work abit on durability and admit that the c hubs are weak and brittle. My old xray would never of broke at the slightest touch of a track marker
Old 08-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #567
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes i agree. I remember i barely contacted the wall, it didn't even throw the car off line and i came in with a broken c-hub.
jonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #568
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Got my car Friday, got it built and took it out yesterday to shake it down before Roar nats. Build wise, car is a huge improvement over prior HB/HPI cars. Have had them all since Pro2, Pro4, Cyclone, TC, TCX... Plastics much improved in arms, ball cups, etc, more pro grade then the usually toy plastic parts. Great idea with the hinge pins pointed on one end to fit in the tapered arm with a set screw. Gave arms a slop free fit but not bound up or needing to be reemed out. Fit and finish was spot on, very smooth build. Only 2 issues were the slop in the steering posts and spacers used between arms/arm mounts. For the steering posts, has about .3mm play up and down. Used some HPI Z852 5x7x.2mm shim, one on each post and was perfect. No extra play and not binding up the bearings. For the arms/arm mounts, manual calls for 1.5mm shims in front and behind arms. I found using 1x 1.5 and 1x 2.0 took out the extra play without any binding. Other than that, I'm very impressed.

At track with kit setup to start, had lots of entry and tons of high speed steering. Car was quick to react in chicanes but stable at the same time. Car felt as fast as my Awesomatix but easier to drive and made it feel more confident to throw it around if I wanted to. I didn't have any major crashes but did get hit by lap traffic trying to race or jumping dots, but no breakage here. Don't see how C hubs are breaking but will definitely watch out just in case.

I'm excited to see what this car can do with some tuning but so far I'm glad I picked up this car over the Awesomatix and Xray T4 '15 I had.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #569
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Maybe they should work abit on durability and admit that the c hubs are weak and brittle. My old xray would never of broke at the slightest touch of a track marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonston View Post
Yes i agree. I remember i barely contacted the wall, it didn't even throw the car off line and i came in with a broken c-hub.
Yes we will definitely look into it more and research how most people are breaking the c-hubs. Please share more info if you find any problem.

Thanks for your support.

Hiro
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #570
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1 View Post
Got my car Friday, got it built and took it out yesterday to shake it down before Roar nats. Build wise, car is a huge improvement over prior HB/HPI cars. Have had them all since Pro2, Pro4, Cyclone, TC, TCX... Plastics much improved in arms, ball cups, etc, more pro grade then the usually toy plastic parts. Great idea with the hinge pins pointed on one end to fit in the tapered arm with a set screw. Gave arms a slop free fit but not bound up or needing to be reemed out. Fit and finish was spot on, very smooth build. Only 2 issues were the slop in the steering posts and spacers used between arms/arm mounts. For the steering posts, has about .3mm play up and down. Used some HPI Z852 5x7x.2mm shim, one on each post and was perfect. No extra play and not binding up the bearings. For the arms/arm mounts, manual calls for 1.5mm shims in front and behind arms. I found using 1x 1.5 and 1x 2.0 took out the extra play without any binding. Other than that, I'm very impressed.

At track with kit setup to start, had lots of entry and tons of high speed steering. Car was quick to react in chicanes but stable at the same time. Car felt as fast as my Awesomatix but easier to drive and made it feel more confident to throw it around if I wanted to. I didn't have any major crashes but did get hit by lap traffic trying to race or jumping dots, but no breakage here. Don't see how C hubs are breaking but will definitely watch out just in case.

I'm excited to see what this car can do with some tuning but so far I'm glad I picked up this car over the Awesomatix and Xray T4 '15 I had.
Are you going to be at H.T. this coming weekend looking to replace my 6.2 but havnt found anything i like yet was looking at the kit online.
tbamsey is offline   Reply With Quote