Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent S120 LTX Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Serpent S120 LTX Review

I'm going to replace my current 1/12 scale care and was wondering if I could get some input on how you S120 racers like the car.

Are there any breakage issues with it and how is the performance of the car when raced on carpet?

How is it to tune and get setup?

Thanks.

Rob
Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have not driven the LTX, but I do drive an S120L and S120LT. Both are excellent cars. I run the LT in stock, and have run the battery both in-line and across the back. The L has the lipo chassis and on-point pod and tube conversion and the only option is across the back battery. Both cars feel balanced and are easy to setup and drive. Both are currently setup the same, battery across the back, esc on one side, receiver pack and receiver on the other, flat servo mount from the LT on both.

Front end adjustments are simple with the pillow ball setup and ride height is set with metal shims that are easily inserted with just loosening the screws. Rear ride height uses inserts similar to the major brands (minus the CRC adjustable pods now), and they come in small enough increments to easily get the desired ride height. The threaded body posts are awesome, the tubes are all aluminum and very well machined, and the front end is just sexy.

My only complaint is not being a huge fan of the center shock, though that seems to be consistent for most brands. I run the Hot Bodies center shock on all my pan cars with either AE/CRC or Wind Tunnel springs. Front and side springs are all Serpent as they have a variety of rates that have worked well for me. I wish there was a good way to identify them though, as they are all black.

The only parts I have broken are kingpins and one of the plastic side damnpeners. I have yet to break any carbon or any of the plastics. The inserts for the upper hinge pins do develop some slop over time, and I replace front plastics due to feeling like I should more then any actual play forming in them. The ball cups do wear though and I replace those more often.

Attached is my S120LT setup for 13.5 stock. My L is setup for mod and does not have the LT topdeck due to running a fan on the ESC.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S120 LTX Review-s120lt.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

I have the older S120L car, bought it used and it was a nice car. I then bought the on-point tube conversion for it and have regretted it ever since. I still have the conversion on it and the car is just a bear to drive, not consistent and very hard to drive. I love the way the Serpent looks and would buy the new LTX if there was still a carpet track here, just stay away from the on-point stuff. My only complaint is the threaded body posts, thay look great and function well but because they are threaded the center of the post is thin and I have snapped afew in hits before.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
I have the older S120L car, bought it used and it was a nice car. I then bought the on-point tube conversion for it and have regretted it ever since. I still have the conversion on it and the car is just a bear to drive, not consistent and very hard to drive. I love the way the Serpent looks and would buy the new LTX if there was still a carpet track here, just stay away from the on-point stuff. My only complaint is the threaded body posts, thay look great and function well but because they are threaded the center of the post is thin and I have snapped afew in hits before.
Very interesting. The on-point tubes are much more similar to the ones I had on my old CRC, but that car is and has always been my go-to car for easy to drive and consistent. I have struggled more with my LT to get it to where it is now. I will be putting the LT tubes on my mod car for next week though as I have figured out my oils with those tubes (I use the wind tunnel damper tube oil which does not convert to anything else very easily).

I can see your point on the body posts, and while I have broken several front posts on my S100, I have yet to do so on the 12th scales (not through lack of crashes I can say).