Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Shock Dynamometer? >

Shock Dynamometer?

Shock Dynamometer?

Old 11-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Shock Dynamometer?

I am in the process of developing and manufacturing a Shock Dynamometer and would like to question interest in such a product. It will be a true functioning dyno, not a building station.
It is compact and has a very reliable drive system. It will electronically measure both bump and rebound and display each
value. It will test all types of shocks, on-road and off-road. I am hoping to get the price in the range of a good motor lathe.
Please post comments, suggestions, questions or Email me at
[email protected] Thanks.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

that'd be nice. i built a spring dyno, which of course is nothing more than a spring on a scale being pushed by a block through known distance. i like it. i've found a few springs being off 3lbs at 15. a true shock dyno would be really nice, as i run many different shocks, and sometimes hybrids of them. it'd be nice to have a tool to get some absolute numbers. keep workin on it. you may already have a customer.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah that would be a real help. How far are from a working prototype?
This is something that really would be good to have, I might buy one off you when you produce them.
Old 11-23-2001, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Have a working mechanical prototype with basic electronics. Still working on the proper data box.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like a very cool idea Pedro. How have things been going at NH? We'll have to hook up for some sedan racing.

Matt Kocourek
Old 11-24-2001, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Pedro Count me in !
Old 11-24-2001, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Niftech makes a spring dyno for motor and shock springs, here's a picture of theirs:

Here's what they say about it:
"Digital Motor And Suspension Spring Testing Fixture
Check back in the next few days to see the picture!

Features:

1. Measure spring force of electric motor springs and suspension springs digitally.
2. A totally new design of Niftech #4725 which incorporates suspension springs.
3. Works on laydown and standard motor springs.
4. Works on suspension springs for onroad or offroad up to 2 3/4'' long.
5. Precision machined by Niftech (Highest quality).
6. Comes with all necessary hardware (no hassles).
7. Easily comes apart for transportation to track.
8. Digital scale not included. Designed for use with Niftech digital scale #6010-NS-2000 (2000g) or for extra firm springs use #6010-NS-3000 (3000g). "

They get $150 for it, that's without the digital scale. As far as I can tell, it's only a spring rate measuring tool, not a true shock dyno.

Please keep us informed about your progress, I think a true shock dyno is something I'd definitely want to have.

Thanks,

Trips
Old 11-25-2001, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

that's pretty much what mine looks like. i was gonna fit it with something to do the motor springs too, but i got lazy. it's all fine and dandy, but something to measure the damping force is essential for shock setup. i mix pistons and bodies, so setups are usually a joke for me to replicate. duplicate? i dunno. ya get the picture.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Long time Sammy. Good to finish with a couple of wins. I've used the Niftech Testing Rig and of course it does springs only. I had to add a digital caliper to it to get accurate numbers because you have to compress the spring on the scale a small amount to omit the initial reading. The very end coils are either ground flat (on the better springs) or just bent down so these ends are actually softer than the middle of the spring. Compress the spring a small amount then zero both your scale and digital caliper. Compress the spring a further 0.250 using the digital caliper. Multiply the scale reading by 4 and you have an accurate, depending on your scale, lbs per inch reading. I did springs from many different manufacturers and found pairs that varied quite a bit and some that didn't match their package rating at all.
The shock dyno will only do shocks, no spring fitted. I recently have been running a Losi XXX-S, with the stock shock setup it is a very fine handling chassis. I wanted to try some Serpent adjustable shocks so the dyno allowed me to build the Serpents so that click 3 was the dampening of the front shocks and click 2 was the dampening of the rear. Car is as good or better now with the Serpents, with added ease of adjustability. You can also check if shocks match side to side and build to build. Small steps in oil or piston changes can be also measured.
Old 11-27-2001, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I saw in RCworld a long time ago one such device. It was basically a box with two posts sticking out of it. You would put the shock on the two posts and press a button. Than it would digitally measure everything for you. Not quite sure of operation as it was in Japanese. It was cool though.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Cojono:

Hi,

I would be interested in your shock dyno also.
as I have about 8 sets of touring shocks,5 sets of truck shocks 4 set of buggy shocks................etc.

this would help me beyond belief. so many shocks and so little tims on race day

Thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

hello again Cojono,

any news about when it will be released?
Old 10-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, i almost forgot about it. i think integy has something out like it. i took a quick glance though. it was pricey. i'll have to check again.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

But Its not the same (I think).
Old 10-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow I thought this thread was long gone.
It will be released. Not sure of the date though. It will be produced by a major RC manufacturer.
I did see the Integy "Spring Dyno" at the Chicago show. It measured the spring rate of the spring and shock together. It did not measure the damping of the shock. It also measured the rate
of motor springs on the same unit. Integy said this unit would sell for $150 - $160. They also had a unit that only did motor springs. That unit was pretty cool.
The Shock Dynamometer that I designed measures the Bump and Rebound damping of the tested shock. It tests the shock alone, no spring. It will allow you to match your shocks. Get accurate values for oil and piston changes. Check how temperature affects your damping. Check unknown shocks. It will eliminate alot of guesswork.
Shock tuning is a very important part of full scale racing programs. They are often overlooked in the RC scale, but can be just as important to get the most speed from your car or truck.
Can't wait to get my own production version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.