Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree291Likes

GT12 Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Good luck Jetnjme. I hope you guys can get GT12 going. They a blast to run and race.

Originally Posted by jetnjme
Saturday morning October 10th I will be setting my GT12 down on the carpet for the first time. 209RCraceway in Stockton ca, if anyone is near by come on out and race. Not sure how many GT12's are in California, but this car is a blast to drive.

Box stock, the pod leans a little to the right, lol, think I should invest in the left side balance weight.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jetnjme
Saturday morning October 10th I will be setting my GT12 down on the carpet for the first time. 209RCraceway in Stockton ca, if anyone is near by come on out and race. Not sure how many GT12's are in California, but this car is a blast to drive.

Box stock, the pod leans a little to the right, lol, think I should invest in the left side balance weight.
Enjoy! These really are a blast to drive.

Balance that pod out. It does make a difference.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Talking

last Saturday was fabulous. Started out not so good with me not being able to get my new "one cell" esc set up so my hopes of running 1/12 17.5 went down the tubes. Got it working (thanks Russ for the program box) but after rounds had started. But the good news is my GT12 was working flawless, so much steering and did not sauce the tires, I sat it down, did a few warm up laps and found the harder I drove the better it got. Sticking moving bobbing and weaving, keeping pace with the F1's was pretty fun. I will say that in my opinion, running the GT12 on both asphalt and carpet I like the asphalt a little more. The car works great on both and everyone should try it at least once around the track. 209rcraceway puts on a great program, great racing with great people.

ordering up a few "add on" goodies and I'll be ready for next month. Practicing for now in hopes more will be built.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

We had a 12th scale racer stop in to see what our club was racing. First thing I did when the car was ready was make him take my radio and drive it. We may have 2 classes when he and his son come back, but now he may also be running 2 classes.

This is the correct approach to getting drivers in the door in general.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys,

current 1/12 racer, guys at my club are turning to GT12 racing, which looks pretty cool to see.

I'd like to jump with them in this class, so what are the hot cars right now? I saw mainly 2 cars: the Zen RSGT12 and the Schumacher Supastox GT (I saw there are different chassis option, which one should I get? Carbon chassis and fixed axle or epoxy chassis and ball diff)?

The Zen looks particular ith its own style center pivot, does anybody have some experience with this car? Or Maybe the Schumacher is the car to get

About tires, what are the good tires for front and rear?

Also, what are the main driving differences betwen 1/12 and GT12?

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
G-rem
Old 10-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by G-rem
Hi guys,

current 1/12 racer, guys at my club are turning to GT12 racing, which looks pretty cool to see.

I'd like to jump with them in this class, so what are the hot cars right now? I saw mainly 2 cars: the Zen RSGT12 and the Schumacher Supastox GT (I saw there are different chassis option, which one should I get? Carbon chassis and fixed axle or epoxy chassis and ball diff)?

The Zen looks particular ith its own style center pivot, does anybody have some experience with this car? Or Maybe the Schumacher is the car to get

About tires, what are the good tires for front and rear?

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
G-rem
All three cars (Zen, Schmacher and Mardave) are great and have the possibility of being as quick as each other but as ever there are a few differences.

The Schumacher is quick but takes a couple of option parts and a bit more set up to get there and for the average driver is a bit harder to get quick times, uses Contact foams. Best to get the low roll centre conversion. I started with this car. Usual awesome backup from Schumacher. I would get the version with the diff, some even sell the carbon chassis version with a diff which works out as good value.

The Zen is pre built and is easier to set up and drive quick for the average driver as well as the quicker guys. Some of the parts are the same as AE 1/12th car. Uses JFT foams. This is my current car and I love it. Backup in the UK is very good, not sure about EU but can't see a problem.

The Mardave is as quick and easy to drive as the Zen but from what I've seen and heard a pig of a build. Uses JFT foams.

The Zen and Mardave have a diff which is very much like a normal 1/12th LMP car, the Schumacher is different and for me a small step behind.

I found the Contact foams have more initial grip and can make the car a bit twitchy, they can chunk a bit easier as well. The JFT's seem to have a bit less initial grip making the car feel safer. I did briefly try the SupaStox GT on JFT foams but couldn't get it to work properly, but then again I gave up after one meeting.
For Prima GT and ETS carper I use 35-37 shore rear and 45 shore fronts. All kits should come with a set of wheels, think the Zen came with 37R and 50F.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a lot Badger, very clear!

I also had some preference for the Zen, which looks very good. But I can't figure out how this central pivot works, seems different to the Schumacher solution...

Any recommandation on "must-have" parts to get for the Zen?

And of course, other opinions are welcome!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by G-rem
Thanks a lot Badger, very clear!

I also had some preference for the Zen, which looks very good. But I can't figure out how this central pivot works, seems different to the Schumacher solution...

Any recommendation on "must-have" parts to get for the Zen?

And of course, other opinions are welcome!
Check out the ORE It is one of the lower cost and best driving cars out there. I have one and it has a tone of potential. The designer is always working at improving the chassis.

Mardave just released an update to their car and it is always a front runner. I spent the last few months with 2 of the Mardave Assassins and they are not hard to build or set up. The issue is with the manual which isn't so hot. The Dave is one of the oldest names in RC.

The Zen is competitive, and 2 of our local hotshots own them. They tend to like a very smooth surface.

Schumachers are indestructible and competitive. They are easy to set up and tune.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Check out the ORE It is one of the lower cost and best driving cars out there. I have one and it has a tone of potential. The designer is always working at improving the chassis.

Mardave just released an update to their car and it is always a front runner. I spent the last few months with 2 of the Mardave Assassins and they are not hard to build or set up. The issue is with the manual which isn't so hot. The Dave is one of the oldest names in RC.

The Zen is competitive, and 2 of our local hotshots own them. They tend to like a very smooth surface.

Schumachers are indestructible and competitive. They are easy to set up and tune.
Forgot about the ORE, not seen one run yet though so couldn't comment.

I think the Mardave manual has improved a bit from what I hear but you still need to ream holes out and fettle parts to make them fit.

Option parts for the Zen, if your club runs to the BRCA rules then you'll need the under lipo weight to get the car to minimum weight and then you'll need the little spacers for the nerf wings, the front bumper is a good idea as well. There isn't any fluids in the box so you'll need to get some dampening fluid, start with the 60k and 100k. The kit springs are spot on, only really hear of a few drivers going one softer on the front.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

So can you convert your 12th scale to a gt12
Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
So can you convert your 12th scale to a gt12
By the rules, no. The lower chassis plate extends the full length of the car, front to back.

Wish I lived closer, I have 5 of them. And I'd like to race VTA with the great one.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Badger5
Option parts for the Zen, if your club runs to the BRCA rules then you'll need the under lipo weight to get the car to minimum weight and then you'll need the little spacers for the nerf wings, the front bumper is a good idea as well. There isn't any fluids in the box so you'll need to get some dampening fluid, start with the 60k and 100k. The kit springs are spot on, only really hear of a few drivers going one softer on the front.
Excellent advice.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

be cool if they made VTA style bodies for these, maybe even a VTA "spec" style class of them lol.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks all for your advice, I'll see at the next race if I can try one
Old 10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
be cool if they made VTA style bodies for these, maybe even a VTA "spec" style class of them lol.
While not GT12, the Mardave stock car chassis has been around for years and there are quite a few unofficial alternatives for GT12. For something older, there are a wide range of banger bodies made by Kamtec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.