R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Probs with the Trinity Cobalt Mods (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/83721-probs-trinity-cobalt-mods.html)

BlackKat 09-11-2005 11:43 AM

Probs with the Trinity Cobalt Mods

I noticed that none of the 3 Trinity Cobalt motors I bought met any of my expectations on track...

I purchased a 10x2 and a 19x1 and my dad purchased an 11x2. All 3 of them are kinda weak (especially the 19x1 and the 11x2) The 19x1 is slow at all gearing ranges, gets hot & fades real quick. The 11x2 was so horrible to the point my dad sent it back to Trinity and wer'e wishing we sent the 19t and the 10x2 back with it.

I'm curious to see if my LHS just has a really bad batch or if anyone else is experiencing these troubles?

If there is a known problem with the Cobalt motors someone let me know....If the magenets suck I sure could use the armatures, If the arms suck, I could use the cans with some new arms...etc

Thanks
-Dan

RickyIS300 09-11-2005 01:19 PM

If you say all 3 suck, what are you currently running that's good ... just want to have an idea what you are comparing them to (Orion V2, Ti, D6 or what?)

Magnets are probably the same as on the D6, maybe the problem is with the brush/spring setup. You sound like you know what you are doing and if it's not the brushes & springs, it must be the flat wire they are using. A lot of Trinity motors have way too little wire. Keep in mind that what they are selling to the public is not quite the same as what they give to their drivers.

BlackKat 09-11-2005 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by RickyIS300
If you say all 3 suck, what are you currently running that's good ... just want to have an idea what you are comparing them to (Orion V2, Ti, D6 or what?)

I am comparing them to other motors we've run. An Epic based 12x3 my dad has will pull the hell out of the mods and my Reedy QM/Epic Binary QM 19's are more efficient, faster and stronger than the Cobalt 19.

Cobalt and D6 cans are different. The D6 can uses the quad-magnet setup while the Cobalt use dual-magnets.

The XXX brushes which I use in all my motors have proven themselves to me. Same with the Trinity Purple springs. I don't believe in the flat-wire concept either so I only purchase round wire motors.

I'm curious if anyone else has Cobalt specific problems too...I've had great luck with Trinity/Epic modifieds in the past.

CarlosG. 09-11-2005 05:45 PM

Well, I have a Cobalt 9x2 which has some grunt to it. I got it when they first came out and were available. I was told not to run it in 12th scale. It is a flatwire, and I was told that it was meant more for touring car action. Since it has torque and power hungry. It barely got me the runtime I need for that class. So it maybe that you should run a flatwire for your application instead of a round wire.

Fatboy Joe 09-11-2005 05:49 PM

Just get the DC Motorsports UL arms and see your motors come alive! :nod:

mini-dub 09-11-2005 06:12 PM

Get a 10x1 UL arm from www.dcmotorsports.com and XXX brushes with a narrowed face: http://dcmotorsports.net/products/pr...products_id=73 . Then run a purple spring on the positive thats been tweaked to be stiffer and a purple spring on the negative with no tweaks. Then run 20 - 24 degrees timing and your motor will rock.

Aaron Waldron 09-12-2005 12:50 AM

There's no reason to be running any different armatures or any other equipment...if there is nothing wrong with the motor it will be just as fast as anything else out there. These motors rock.

Have you had any glitching problems with your motors? You could try aligning the brush hoods, and make sure the arm spins freely in the bearings. As hard as it is to think that you got three motors with problems out of the box, I'm just trying to think why they wouldn't be fast. Have you had the chance to cut the comm on any of them yet?

Was Trinity able to do anything for you with the motor you sent back to them? If you'd prefer, e-mail me...I'll get this all straightened out the best I can.

Phatkat 09-12-2005 06:28 AM

Kat, here's your problem- Trinity crap motors. :nod:

Pro ten Holland 09-12-2005 07:19 AM

I have 2 of the new Epic motors, they should compare. I tested one out of the box: crap!
I then lathed the armature, and found it was out of round AND conically shaped!
After cutting the comm, the motor really came to life! I also have 2 V2 motors, and I have to time those more severe just to keep up. These motors have been the fastest I've ever used.
Several of my friends use cobalt motors (all 12turns since we live in Holland) with the same very good results.
My guess is you have the same problem my motors had out of the box.

General advise: always skimm a new armature, wether it's a completely new motor, or a replacement armature for an old motor.
Also keep in mind you need to adjust the springs when the brushes and armature wear down.

BlackKat 09-12-2005 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
There's no reason to be running any different armatures or any other equipment...if there is nothing wrong with the motor it will be just as fast as anything else out there. These motors rock.

Have you had any glitching problems with your motors? You could try aligning the brush hoods, and make sure the arm spins freely in the bearings. As hard as it is to think that you got three motors with problems out of the box, I'm just trying to think why they wouldn't be fast. Have you had the chance to cut the comm on any of them yet?

Was Trinity able to do anything for you with the motor you sent back to them? If you'd prefer, e-mail me...I'll get this all straightened out the best I can.

Okay I admit I forgot to cut the comm on the 10x2 before I ran it. I'll cut the comm and give it another try. My bad there :blush:

I know Trinity can make some good stuff, I own a bit of it and run Trinity/Epic mods pretty much exclusively. ;)

Aaron: Trinity got back to me last week and said they recieved the 11x2 we sent in but hasn't said anything else yet. Could you check up on it for me? (RMA #556)

The 19t I bought is just junk though. I think it'd be too late to send it because I've run it a bunch trying to get it to work (different brushes, springs, timing...etc) I'll try putting another armature in the can and see how it works.

Conrad 09-15-2005 02:18 PM

Well i bought 4 cobalts at the start of the year, 2 x 10turns and 2 x 11turns, one flatwire, one roundwire of each wind. We run on a variety of different sized tracks and the flatwire would be my first choice everytime, its just a little bit more sparky than the roundwire ;) All of the motors were quick, no duds and none of them were skimmed before they were run. I know it sounds like an obvious and stupid question but are you gearing them correctly? trinity's like to rev alot, my cobalt sounds so sweet compared to everyone else's V2. I remember someone saying before that the 19t was crap on big circuits but it had alot of punch and it was excellent on the small tracks.

thepitcrew 09-15-2005 03:31 PM

I have a couple of the 19t Cobalts and they are moderately fast on a small track. They are not the fastest thing out there and almost all the competition is running the same car and similar gearing. Everyone is running the QC2 and most people have Integy cells.

I have cut the comms and found them to be out of round out of the box. Brush alignment is however very good (wear is right down the center).

They shipped one without the XXX brushes. (Trinity took care of that for me.)

They are both timed at 24 degrees as that seems to work the best. The one in my car is faster than my sons... Luckily he doesn't like to solder yet... ;)

The saving grace is I don't have to do as much motor maintainence between rounds.