Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
calculating stuff >

calculating stuff

calculating stuff

Old 09-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default calculating stuff

I've read a lot of this "calculating." Calculating gearing ratio, wheelbase, #of teeth on your pinion gear and spur gear to suit your car and your motor... How the hell do you do this? I need help. Can somebody give some sort of primer on this. I have a Novak Supersport with a brushless motor and I don't what gearing to use. My car is a TC3. I've read somewhere that someguy's supersport exploded because on gearing mistakes. I'm afraid to run my car fearing this... Need help....
Old 09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fritzD
I've read a lot of this "calculating." Calculating gearing ratio, wheelbase, #of teeth on your pinion gear and spur gear to suit your car and your motor... How the hell do you do this? I need help. Can somebody give some sort of primer on this. I have a Novak Supersport with a brushless motor and I don't what gearing to use. My car is a TC3. I've read somewhere that someguy's supersport exploded because on gearing mistakes. I'm afraid to run my car fearing this... Need help....
Is that the "stock" version of the Novak? If so, then most guys used to run about 72 spur and 27 pinion with a regular stock motor.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fritzD
I don't know what you would gear that at, but you can create gearcharts by inputting your car, spur size and pinion at www.gearchart.com
Old 09-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You won't burn anything up in a Novak SS by getting the gearing wrong. If you gear it too high, at worst it will get hot and "thermal"...wait a few seconds and you're good to go.

The only Novak brushless speedos I've ever seen go "poof" have been from sloppy soldering...the wires dead short to the can or on the board. I have three of them (two 4300 and one 5800) and I've done every concievable type of gearing and abused them in (just about) every way possible.

If you want to gear them taller then they list, just get a fan for the speedo.