R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Brushed motor dyno to brushless conversion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/836240-brushed-motor-dyno-brushless-conversion.html)

Zhangesh 09-13-2014 03:39 AM

Brushed motor dyno to brushless conversion

Hi all

I have a Trinity monster horsepower motor dyno for brushed motors from eons ago (been out of the game for a while). Is it possible to convert these for use with brushless motors? Main problem is the 3 phases input on brushless motors compared to positive/negative input on brushed motors.

Thanks for your help

mooby64 09-13-2014 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zhangesh (Post 13531255)
Hi all

I have a Trinity monster horsepower motor dyno for brushed motors from eons ago (been out of the game for a while). Is it possible to convert these for use with brushless motors? Main problem is the 3 phases input on brushless motors compared to positive/negative input on brushed motors.

Thanks for your help

I believe the trick is to used a brushless ESC between the power leads, on the dyno, and the motor. You then run up the motor with your radio.

Others on the forum may have better info.

terry.sc 09-13-2014 01:57 PM

The Orca BMD Brushless Motor Driver is designed specifically to convert brushed dynos to brushless.

John Wallace2 09-13-2014 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mooby64 (Post 13531329)
I believe the trick is to used a brushless ESC between the power leads, on the dyno, and the motor. You then run up the motor with your radio.

Others on the forum may have better info.

All you need is a cheap brushless ESC (I use a HobbyWing Just Stock) with no timing. A spare receiver and a transmitter radio. Set both the radio and the ESC to get to max power as fast as possible when the throttle is pulled. I run the receiver off an external battery pack. Then its a matter of hooking the ESC + & - terminals to the power leads from the dyno that used to be solder to the brushed motor. Hook the ESC to the brushless motor just like you would if the motor were installed in your car. Then its a matter of starting the dyno and pulling the throttle on the radio at the same time.

Advil 09-13-2014 08:58 PM

Or you could use an Astro Flight Servo Tester Model 105 in place of the radio and receiver.

John Wallace2 09-17-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Advil (Post 13532580)
Or you could use an Astro Flight Servo Tester Model 105 in place of the radio and receiver.

Really depends on how fast you can get from zero to full throttle by turning that knob. I can pull the trigger on my radio pretty fast, plus I can put exponential to get to more throttle faster too with my radio. Between the ESC and the radio the main objective is to get to full throttle as fast a possible to make the dyno think it's testing a brushed motor.

Advil 09-17-2014 10:42 AM

I am spoiled using an old GTB. I just leave the servo tester at full throttle and turn on the turbo dyno. Instant full throttle.

John Wallace2 09-17-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Advil (Post 13540090)
I am spoiled using an old GTB. I just leave the servo tester at full throttle and turn on the turbo dyno. Instant full throttle.

Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Well this old dog learned something new, holding the throttle at 100% then running the dyno works on the Fantom dyno too. The motor makes a horrible cogging noise until you click on the run the motor button, but it works. For me, I happened to have all the spare parts I used laying around my workshop, so it was a no cost solution.

Advil 09-18-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by John Wallace2 (Post 13540624)
Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Well this old dog learned something new, holding the throttle at 100% then running the dyno works on the Fantom dyno too. The motor makes a horrible cogging noise until you click on the run the motor button, but it works. For me, I happened to have all the spare parts I used laying around my workshop, so it was a no cost solution.

:D

MJSGas 12-28-2014 08:11 PM

Is the ORCA BMD still available?