Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anybody know where I can find these screws??? >

Anybody know where I can find these screws???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody know where I can find these screws???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Anybody know where I can find these screws???

Doing multiple tamiya ta03 builds at the moment and im surprised at how hard it is to find these ive looked everywhere.

Mainly looking for blue or purple button and countersunk TAPPING screws in 3x10mm and 3x15mm phillips or hex drive.
Kyosho make some sets for their minis with blue tapping but from what I can make out they are only 5mm 8mm etc.

Also orange button machine 3x15mm hex, ive found these in 10mm but about $1 a screw

If you have any secret screw suppliers id love to hear.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Can you use a tap and change it for a machine screw?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

@ your LHS or TowerHobbies.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Tapping screws are bad!

Anodized screws are aluminum, and nobody makes aluminum tapping screws for rc cars in normal sizes. You will have to (and should) change out all self tapping screws for m3 threaded metric screws. Stronger, and will be a lot better for maintenance. Also, save a little hustle, and get hex, but get a quality mip or hudy driver as the aluminum screws will strip easily.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Tapping screws are bad!

Anodized screws are aluminum, and nobody makes aluminum tapping screws for rc cars in normal sizes. You will have to (and should) change out all self tapping screws for m3 threaded metric screws. Stronger, and will be a lot better for maintenance. Also, save a little hustle, and get hex, but get a quality mip or hudy driver as the aluminum screws will strip easily.
Yeah come to think of it ive never seen an anodized tapping screw. I would love to use machine screws, I have some new parts I can tap but Im hesitant to retap the vintage chassis parts im stuck with. Do you still think that would be a good idea?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

There is no need to tap out the holes if using machine screws, that is usually done on newer models with lots of carbon reinforcing so the plastic is really stiff.

Just make sure the tapping screws didn't eat the plastic to much so the machine screws will still bite into it well enough to hold.