Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
12mm shocks vs ??? >

12mm shocks vs ???

12mm shocks vs ???

Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 12mm shocks vs ???

So, I'm considering a shock upgrade, or suspension set-ups for my TC6.2 shocks and I'm a noob at setting up the tc6.2 and need some guidance. I'm so new at these new touring cars that I'm just getting around to making chassis adjustments to dial-in the suspension for better performance and 'feel'.

I'm fighting a loose condition where I seem to be slipping around a lot more than the GT car, even with the same tire compound and springs by the same maker.

My Touring Car currently is running ARC shocks and they look bigger in diameter than the EOM shocks that came with my tc6.2. My USGT car is a fairly stock tc6.2 and it hooks up pretty good.

My question is: What benefit do you get from using a larger diameter shock?....and is it worth it, or should I focus on oil weight, springs and sway bars to dial in the Touring car? I'm seriously considering putting the tc6.2 shocks back on the TC just to see what happens, but would like some input before I make any changes....instead of chasing the ghost looking for a solution.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Larger diameter shocks have more volume, so hold more oil. Because of this They generally feel a little more consistent, and have better dampening feel.

Are the cars set up the same besides shocks? Ie, are all adjustments set the same between the cars. Things like camber, wheelbase, roll centers, flex settings, droop?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda

Are the cars set up the same besides shocks? Ie, are all adjustments set the same between the cars. Things like camber, wheelbase, roll centers, flex settings, droop?
I gotta be honest, I'm just learning about roll centers and flex settings, only been back racing RCs for about 4 months....so my learning curve is still pretty steep on tuning the 1/10 TC chassis (I raced 1/12th back in the 80s)

The cars are not twins in every way, but I am working towards that end. The TC is a new car to me, about 3 races on it, it was purchased used from a guy on RCtech. It was raced at the Reedy Race this year, it came with a front diff, some thicker washers under the suspension mounts, DCV front axles and ARC shocks.

I did remove the front diff to see if I could gain some bite, but little changed on the track.....so it's going back in before the next race. I may be adding a diff to the GT car very soon in hopes of picking up some time. I'm not far from keeping up with the class leaders.