Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is this a decent setup? (just starting again) >

Is this a decent setup? (just starting again)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a decent setup? (just starting again)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Is this a decent setup? (just starting again)

This is the setup I am looking to buy in about a week and a half. I am trying to get the best buy for the cash and so far this is what I have come up with. Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at spending $600 maybe a little more for everything. I do plan on racing but probably not for a while. Also wondering if I am missing anything?

Team Associated RC10 TC-4 4WD
Airtronics MX3 3CH FM Pistol Radio w/941027 Servo
Novak GT7 Electronic Speed Controler
Team Orion Revolution 10T Double Modified Motor
(2) Epic 3000mAh 6 Cell Batteries
HPI 190mm Eclipse Touring Chassis
Trinity No-Soder Motor Connectors
Duratrax Piranah AC/DC Peak Charger
Sanyo AA Batteries 8 pack
Paint/Hobby Knife

Thank You in advance,

Facelift
Old 09-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Is this the first time you have raced? If so, i think a 10 turn mod is a little to much for a beginner.
Try starting off in stock or even 540.
If you can afford 3300Mah packs then use them instead of 3000Mah packs.
I use promatch 3300 give great power and punch. Invest in a discharge tray like the Much More V-Zero. Look after your batteries and they will last for a long time, that is if you handle them right.
I'm only new to Electric racing myself and still have a lot to learn. I do alot of reading and research into things before i buy or do anything. I don't just listen to one person.
Don't just rush in a buy something because that person said so, look around and shop around. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Michael
Old 09-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

All looks ok.

You mentioned about racing but not after awhile.So I recommand that you skip the HPI shelll for a Protoform shell,eg a Mazda 6 or stratus Ver 3 or something.These body shells give better downforce.And 2 door bodyshells are not legal in some place for raacing.Since you would like to race in the near future,why not use a racing shell so that you can get used to the characteristic of the shell.

Maybe I would get at least GP3300s cells compared to the 3000s.I feel that they are better overall.You can use them if you're racing next time.And the 10 turn motor could use some battery capacity.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Good first choice on the car, transmitter/receiver/servo set, and ESC.

However, for racing, I'd go with a different body, batteries, wires, and charger.

For just messing around, that setup is just fine, but you might want to get better batteries to power that powerful 10T Motor. Might want to look at some 3300 assembled or loose cells. I'd also get regular wires instead of those no solder leads. For the charger, that should be fine for now. And why not fork out a little more for the newer Novak GTX esc.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default Dump D

Hey mate, thats what i thought to when i started racing, get quick motor but its definately not the way to go...

The Tc4 is a fantastic car, i cant say anythingt bad about, so good choice
Fork out more and get the GTX the GT7 has a tendency to blow up...
Charger Unless its the ICE from Duratrax forget about it, get yourself a a Used Novak Millenium PRO, they are a great little charger and cheap to boot...
Invest in some good tires(ie, SOREX 28s, with some B-Medium Inserts..)
Like everyone above has said, get 3300 batts, they will be greater than any ever produced 3000 or less.. you could probbably pick up some used 3300s in good condition cheap, since 3700,3600,3800 are out itll be easy pickings..
Get yourself a Protoform Mazda 6 body, i run the Alfa but most folks say the 6 handles better, and as for the discharge, You could pick up anything cheap...Zero-V, Apex 30A(more expensive but well worth it)
Get yourself a good tuned stock motor, Trinity Monster seems to be the go these days i like br00ds but there seems to be a big trend to the HYPERFORM which are animalistic, Forget about those no solder leads, Just go town to your local track and ask one of the more experience guys to wire it up...add some curved scissors to that list and also a body reamer and some AAx8 Rechargable, Energizers work well for me...

With that you could pick up most things second hand if you look around enough(dont forget to try and make a deal)

With that package you will be quite competetive and you may even be mixing it up the top

My 2cents

Regards Dimo
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DIMO
Trinity Monster seems to be the go these days i like br00ds but there seems to be a big trend to the HYPERFORM which are animalistic
Dimo, that's a great adjective... Animalistic, love it!