Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mission (Not Quite) Impossible!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Default Mission (Not Quite) Impossible!

I have a new project! This is something that you all will probably laugh at, but for good reason. When I raced my TC3 I probably would laugh at it too! I bought a nearly out-of-the-box fresh Traxxas Street Sport for $25 from my Local Hobby Shop. This 2WD "tourer" is pathetic at best. The car is in pristene condition, but designed so badly it makes my eyes hurt. I looked at it for a long time before deciding, "I can do something with that!" So, the Street Sport Project is born! My mission is to use the tools and equipment avalible here at Team Platinum, and turn this newbie mobile into a competant oval racer. Check out my progress so far, and keep checking back because I intend to do some more work on this project soon.

The link is below for those who are interested. Tell me what you think!
www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/StreetSport.html
Old 09-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

kool looks like a fun project
Old 09-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

I hope so, so far it has been cooperative. I just have to find an efficient way of reworking the whole suspension geometry. It isn't the most race inspired thing in the world, so I plan on working on the minute details to get things right.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Last time I drove it, it made me think it would be easier to turn it into a drifter! The diff slips to the extreme, and I will probably need to replace it with a 4-TEC one (Same part). The front end has no grab when it gets up to speed, but at low speed the car will fishtail and slide all over the place. This is no doubt due to the hard plasticish tires. These things are just too hard to be called tires. I don't think Yokomo drift tires would be harder than these. The only problem is I love the wheels look, so if I am going to replace the wheels, I have to either take the face off of the current wheel and put it on a different wheel, or figure out a way to modify the beads on the Traxxas wheels to fit some Pro-Line tires. The wheels are a must, and if there is no possible way of making them work, I have to pick up some of those sweet black HPI rims that look like stock car wheels.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone know of any rims that look like the ones that are on the car now? I really love the rims that this car came with, but they seem awfully heavy and I'm not sure if Traxxas uses a proprietary bead design, seeing as how these plastic-ish tires are so hard.

Here's the link again;
www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/StreetSport.html
Old 09-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

what about the hpi stock car wheels?

Old 09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

I was thinking of those but the front hubs would need to be modified in order to fit a hex hub on the front suspension. I would also need to take a look into the offset of those wheels and make sure they won't mess with the geometry I'm trying to achieve, but for now things are looking good.

Are those the ones that come with the Goodyear Eagle stickers? I and hell-bent on running rubbers so I might just see about sticking some Eagle stickers on the sidewalls to make it look cooler, even though I know they won't stay on there for very long.

Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'll get either those or the black ones. It depends on what paint scheme I plan on running.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Is there a way to change the upper link or lower arm angles to lower the roll center and get more mechanical grip from the current tire/spring combination? It may solve the lack of traction all the way around.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

If you could see these tires in person you would know completely where my problems are coming from. There is only a patch of about 1/2" where the tires actually contact the road, and these things are so hard that the suspension components flex before I begin compressing the tires.

If I could find a way to mount a set of ball studs vertically then roll center would be totally adjustable. Then all that's left is the upper link position relative to the point where the A-arm is mounted.The front roll center is retarted, and believe me, it's on the list of things to Dremel.

I love the ideas and any suggestions are more than welcome. I love hearing other peoples concepts.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

You might try heating the rubber/plastic up with a hair dryer and then applying a coat of paragon to soak in. Three or four of these might soften them some.