Old 01-31-2002, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya F201

Tamiya's new F1 chassis:

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/nurn2002/broadcast2.htm

Very cool suspension, too bad it's 4wd... but that can be fixed
Old 02-01-2002, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Nice bit of design to fit the 4wd transimission in such a narrow and delicate package.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Potato: Its a very, VERY cool suspension and its not bad at all that its 4wd!

But, you're right, anyone who doesn't want the benefits of 4wd can definitely deactivate it.

Maybe Tamiya will consider making a dedicated 2wd version for those who don't like the "unrealistic" 4wd setup.

Me personally, If it looks like an F1 and quacks like an F1..........its an F1.........4wd or not!

Bring on the F201!
Old 02-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

It looks like an F1, quacks like an F1, but does it drive like an F1? Personally, I like the challenge of 2wd. I love the suspension though, one can say it's more 'realistic' than the current F103-pan-car design.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Regional Moderator

I think it will drive more like a "real" F1 than the current F103. By that I mean, plenty o' traction and glued to the track. Yeah, the F103 can be stuck just as well in the hands of a good driver/tuner, but there aren't enough of those type of drivers out there to make Tamiya a profit. What they needed was to make this class more accesible for the average driver/tuner.

Is this good or bad? Depends on your view point. I like anything that maybe puts more cars in the F1 class!

Most of the people who don't like the idea, seem to feel the same way you do. "I like the challenge of 2wd"

Personally, racing agaist other people is enough of a challange for me. I would rather battle other people instead of battling the handling of my own car.

2wd or 4wd? For me its which ever one I can go fastest with. And until I can get my hands on the new car, I wont know which that is.

So, we'll have to wait and see.

And besides, if we all agreed that the new 4wd idea was bad, what would we have to talk about on here!
Old 02-01-2002, 01:19 PM
R/C Tech Founder

If we're talking silver-can Mabuchi racing, which seems to be the most popular form of F1 racing with the 2WD Tamiya cars, I could almost guarantee that the 2WD platform would be faster in the hands of an experienced driver.

I can keep up with a stock-equipped touring car with my mabuchi-equipped F103L (the "Indy" version of the chassis) just fine. Put a mabuchi in a 4WD car and you sure need a lot more torque than that little motor is putting out.

With a 4WD platform, the class would definitely be moving to stock motors. Actually, I think a 19T class with these cars would be really fun -- and I absolutely hate the idea of 19T touring cars! But for this thing, open-wheel and all, 19T might be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I really don't care for the 4WD idea, but you see how 4WD sedan have caught on since TAMIYAs first model. Ask yourself, how many real sedans in the circuit are 4WD?. Not many. Most are front, some are rear. The AUDI was banned at one time because of an "unfair advantage" (as the commercial goes); not sure if it was because of the 4wd, but i'm sure the fact took part.

I think it will be fun. As well as more growht in the R/C industry.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

might be available as early as April/May in the US
Old 02-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

It's not so much about realism as it is about the way the F1 car drives. With 2wd, I just like that feeling of smoothness, rolling through the corner, driving with overall finesse. Most importantly for me is the fact that a 2wd F1 with the stock silver can motor can keep up with mod sedans. The greater power-to-weight and lower drivetrain friction is what makes it so appealing. It's cheaper to run, and can perform like the most expensive touring cars. Regardless, I'm happy Tamiya is releasing a new F1, and I think it looks very very good. I definitely want one, dunno if I can afford it though
Old 02-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm glad Tamiya is releasing a new F1. There was a time a couple of years ago that they threatened to eliminate the F1 class from the TCS. I'm taking this announcement as a renewed commitment to F1.

As it is, our LHS, which sponsors Tamiya club and TCS regional races, is dropping F1 from the upcoming outdoor season because there are no F1 kits to sell.

Tamiya America will include the F201 in the TCS F1 class. The feeling is the 2WD kits will accelerate faster but that the new chassis will have better traction. We'll see. We found the F103 difficult to drive when the rules went to rubber tires.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Regional Moderator

All these different opinions are great.

Futureal: thats exactly my point. Some people don't like it because it isn't as "realistic" and some I'm sure are worried about an "unfair advantage". But when you add in the extra drag and weight of the 4wd system, things will more than balance out.

OSherman: yes, it was because of the 4wd. If you recall, when they were banned at that time, they were pretty much winning every event they attended.

"If you can't beat em'...............disqualify'em!"

I wonder how Tamiya will work the new F1 into the TCS. Will they let them run with the others, or have their own class. Or will they have an F1 class at all in the TCS this year???
Old 02-01-2002, 11:20 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Tamiya runs whichever classes are current for their products. Right now there is a class that encompasses ALL of the old F10x designs, including my beloved F103L Indy cars.

I am guessing they will make a class for the F201 car, and either keep or eliminate the other, older class. If they will still support the F10x cars then I'm sure they'll keep the class, but as soon as they stop making parts for them, it will be lights out...
Old 02-02-2002, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

The reason a well-driven tamiya F1 with a Mabuchi 540 can keep up with a stock tourer is because of the F1's considerable weight advantage, not a superior chassis.

I expect that if the 4wd and 2wd F1's were to run at the same weight, the 4wd's would be faster - just like in off-road, where a 4wd car is normally worth a lap on a 2wd.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

that's a really nice car! the inboard shocks look cool! wonder if tamiya will come up with a touring car version, it being 4wd.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Sosidge,
Have you ever looked at the F103. The whole car probably wieghs just as much as the F201's rear diff. There is now way that a 4wd car could ever get close to the wieght of a direct drive 2wd.

As for my opinon: I think Tamiya is killing a great car. You don't drive an F1 because its easy, you drive it because it looks and drives scale (lightest and fastest thing on the track). So for those people who like the F201, if you want something easy to drive pick up a slot car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.