Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mitamiya
Then get us back on topic Mr. Almighty. Are you racing the car yet? What is your set-up and are you running well? I don't see a lot of feedback from you or anyone else on racing information here.
EXACTLY.

Please share your thoughts about running the car? Oh wait do you even have one or do you only post to be derogatory and talk down like you are the almighty one.

I'll get us back on track. Finished my build last night. The build was good and everything is really tight. I had to shim the spur a little as I am running the Panaracer. Put .1 on each side. I also found that I couldn't run the .7 small shims on the rear arms. They were binding to much so I will have to run it a few times before putting them on.

Otherwise the kit went together nice. Thanks to Kentech for the HELPFUL blog.

I set the car up the same as my 418 as the starting point. Headed to the track today but this will be the last voyage of the 418 and get the 419 out next weekend. I didn't want to mess up anything before my RACE on Sunday. Yes some do race but not sure why that means anything at all. Not sure my you can't just practice and HAVE FUN.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Race every second weekends.. The leaking slowed down lol... I've had to clean the rear bearings past 3 races tho...

I also did green slim on o ring and shafts... My shocks also sweat a bit too... But cat handles great... Haven't been able to narrow rear end as I can't get the blocks yet..
Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Tomorrow I'm finally test my 419 extensively.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I still haven't touched my kit. Want to build it with ceramic bearings and Hiro Seiko screws and they haven't turned up yet.

Raced the 418 Friday night - 42deg day! - and chased my tail (like everyone) with changing grip. Track started at 62deg surface temp, tyres were melting

I currently run the 418 with 2 top deck screws missing at each end and it still is way too stiff - looking forward to the extra flex the 419 apparently has.

As for the diff leaking - well, I've never had a single leak from my 418 diff, if the new one does drop oil I'll be less than impressed. But, plenty of people found the old diff to leak as well.....
Old 01-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cplus I run the stock over chassis but with a Smokem top deck and the 418 is good for blinky racing...
Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Qatmix (thercracer) made a guide to building a leak free trf419 diff

http://www.thercracer.com/2015/01/51...build-and.html
Old 01-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

^yup.

Using exact same meticulousness as building the old one.

I think people run into trouble when they don't build them quite "right" and then try to do odd things like sand cases, double gaskets, overs and the gears etc etc and then end up creating more problems. You could get them to work by doing odd stuff, but in my (limited) experience you don't have to.

The two halves of the new one align only one way - small note on the bottom of the page - is it possible to assemble it "wrong" here?

The screws being absolute garbage doesn't help either. Being self tappers into plastic you need to be quite careful too. Torquing them down incrementally and not in a circular sequence (up/down, left/right) will help too.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't even remember checking to see if my diff halves are aligned or not. My diff has leaked a little onto the pulley but the screw holes are leak free. It may sound obvious but using lighter diff oils really doesn't help

Edit: Checked the diff and it was aligned properly. Will see if the oil goes away when I start running it as it could of come from the initial build. One thing I'm not very fond of is the sway bar mounting, feels a bit flimsy in comparison to the rest of the car

Last edited by TB03Racer09; 01-03-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

First run the 419 at Tamiya Raceway today, the car handle very well and no leaking on the diff.
There is three 419 cars at the track, no one has a leaking problem.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09
One thing I'm not very fond of is the sway bar mounting, feels a bit flimsy in comparison to the rest of the car
It's not awesome, no. But it is loose and free. Ones that use bracing can introduce a (very minor) bit of tweak.

I don't like them much either, but I'm good at setting them now and they do work atleast.

Be interesting to see if other manufacturers take on the ball bearing supported style like the new xray in future or not. Time will tell.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Today I finally got my TRF 419 to drive. I must say the car is really funny but the TRF418 was also funny.

The first thing I changed Suspension Mount in front on B and B. Of these, I promised myself a better turn-in. In the rear the Kit Suspension Mount X and F. 3° is simply the best option for the rear.

The damper in rear inwardly drawn into the second hole. More grip on the rear axle.

For the first time on the carpet track, the car works very well. 3 Batteries I only had time today.

But options for the next test I have. Diff oil, Damper Position in the front. Damper oil. I was 0.5 seconds slower than the best one. I will pick up number one for the next time
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF419-419.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Does any know about the rates of the new TRF springs?

Tamiya TRF Damper Large Diameter Spring Set #42278
Red (soft), Black (Med), Yellow (Hard)
Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tried mine first time today. Way to aggressive setup. Too much front grip.
No leakage from diff or dampers
Old 01-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Salkin
OK.

Sorry for the OT, but a little while back I was visiting Sanwa's website to look at the MT-4s and was compelled to buy by the following fine description of the MT-4s:

Entry for the race seriously
Feeling a new driving which collaboration
with peripheral devices produces
And more than anything, more enjoyable world
Attraction of MT-4S to add evolushon & scalability
to MT-4 of deep R/C

They are selling some of the top high end gear in the RC world, and they do not have the resources to facilitate an understandable translation ??
"All Your bases are belong to Us"

I could see how you could come to your conclusion. I'm just waiting for Kyosho to come out with a Real and Complete English version of their website!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lmlindbo
Tried mine first time today. Way to aggressive setup. Too much front grip.
No leakage from diff or dampers
Assume you mean the stock set up?

Asphalt or carpet?

What body?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.