Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09
cplus, are you double sure you have your diff cups assembled right? There are 2 pairs of holes on each cup, one of which reduced the width of your diff

What were the serpents, vbc and arc's suffering from? Excessive slop?
Check back in the thread for the photos. 100% sure I've done it right. You can fix the slop by either installing it "wrong" (using the further spaced holes, which means the cups don't sit flush on the flange) or by using around 0,4-0,6mm of 10mm shims.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

HI GUys

Im having a problem with my 419, basically the last 2 meetings ive done, my front right wheel has become so hot, that its melted the plastic on the axle and caused the wheel to come off, and then in the final on my last meeting i changed to foams and basically it managed to get so hot that it melted the plastic of the wheel to the hub,

Ive assembled to instructions, but also the drive train is binding somewhere and isnt rolling freely with motor not in use,,

Any ideas,

Thanks
Old 04-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Guys,
I'm building a 419 right now and have question:
What springs are used on the bigbore shocks?
Thank you
Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silden
Hi Guys,
I'm building a 419 right now and have question:
What springs are used on the bigbore shocks?
Thank you
Std 25mm springs.

Tamiya 42278 (or many others)
Ride TC pro matched
HPI (Pro4) 75175
Yokomo
Muchmore/X-Gear G8 series
Old 04-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trf419racer
Ive assembled to instructions, but also the drive train is binding somewhere and isnt rolling freely with motor not in use
Odd one. You need to start a process of elimination starting with the bearings in the front knuckle.

Disconnect belts and go from there.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cplus
Odd one. You need to start a process of elimination starting with the bearings in the front knuckle.

Disconnect belts and go from there.
yeah i took the front corner apart yesterday at work (i work in a hobby shop) replaced one bearing cause the pin was sitting just inside the hub which isnt right i dont think, and it seems to be sitting better now,

im going to tear it apart tomorrow and see whats the deal cause its frustrating when the only other 419 was raced in the same class and had no issues,

thanks again
Old 04-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
Check back in the thread for the photos. 100% sure I've done it right. You can fix the slop by either installing it "wrong" (using the further spaced holes, which means the cups don't sit flush on the flange) or by using around 0,4-0,6mm of 10mm shims.
With the 'wrong' holes, my front spool sits perfectly and rotates smoothly. I guess I got lucky in that regard but if others are experiencing an issue then Tamiya should at least include some optional shims.

By the way, can the spur gear be changed without having to remove the diffs from there bulkheads? I can't seem to remove the spur assembly because of the belts restricting it
Old 04-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

With the 'wrong' holes, my front spool sits perfectly and rotates smoothly. I guess I got lucky in that regard but if others are experiencing an issue then Tamiya should at least include some optional shims.
Yes, when you run the cups offset it gives an extra 0,4mm exactly - run them both in the outer holes and it is too tight (for mine). however, by doing this the pin is doing more than just locating/retaining. which is not ideal. The cup should sit against the flange.

By the way, can the spur gear be changed without having to remove the diffs from there bulkheads? I can't seem to remove the spur assembly because of the belts restricting it
Yes, remove the front belt. Slide it off the soool and then undo the two lay shaft screws and it comes out (by sliding backwards.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:21 AM
Tech Regular

The belt doesn't slide off the front spool on my car, belt tension seems normal. But at least now I only have to remove one diff (the front)
Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

The belt doesn't slide off the front spool on my car, belt tension seems normal. But at least now I only have to remove one diff (the front)
Sorry, not really "slide" you sorta need to "roll" it off.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
The sway bars are mounted like 20 years ago, not that anyone short of the new Xray T4 is much better. Some solutions of the past were much better (in TC I think only Xray used them, but they were a carryover from 1/8 nitro cars), but somewhat costly (complicated) and heavy.
Capricorn used that style first on an EP TC... so not like Xray was innovative there!
The current bar mounts are fine IMO, just need to take your time when setting up (as with any sway bar). Get them set the same side to side and dropping freely (which is a 5min job during the build) and there are set and shouldn't ever need adjustment. The only bit that could need improving is the plastic moulding, so that it keys in vertically too the bulkheads... but as it should never need to come off, it's not a major issue. And if I'm switching bars, I make sure to set them up anyway, as normally there is some small difference in the behavior, so the drop links need resetting.

Tamiya has a lot of catching up to do, but they instead chose to play with things that were good like shock absorbers (their were always some of the best in the business and a pleasure to build, not sure why they needed to put money into developing the large bore shocks when other parts of the car needed serious updates).
Yawn.

Seems they finally decided to go with the Yokomo type split suspension blocks, so that's out of the way. They did manage to get a good motor mount (could be improved still), and almost did a good gear diff (if it wasn't for the fiddliness of putting it together). Still needs shims in the kit (Tamiya are you listening?) so we don't need to borrow from other manufacturers or rely on our spares box.
The motor mount is one of the innovate bits in the kit to be frank... it's certainly a damn site better than a single sided mount as on other brands, IMO. No chance of the post moving (unless a screw comes out), and then there are the flex options not present on other cars (baring the VBC, but that has the screws the wrong way round so the flex point moves forward when you go to single screws).

And then it's the never to go away problem of plastics which are still fragile (C-hubs, arms, etc).
C-hubs... yes, they could do with being stronger. I did three in one day on (very) high grip carpet track with a mod. Two were legimate screw ups by myself, but one was a gentle board tap (although that was the oldest hub, so could have been weakened). But I haven't broken a single part on the car up to that point, exclusively running mod on various sized outdoor tracks. So if you breaking arms and other bits... you have more problems than the car!

I don't have an issue with the ballcups, I don't drill all of mine and I don't see that as such a big deal. I actually think they finally solved the problem of slop in their balljoints with the new ballnuts (TRF) which for once fit nicely and without any play and I think their plastic is better than most being soft so you can pull it off quite a few times before it becomes sloppy.
Don't drill... sharp blade and knife the top off. It's cleaner and doesn't leave swarf inside. But then you should know that as you know everything already..

One problem I found was that if you need some higher than normal ground clearance (our track is very bumpy) so your chassis doesn't drag on the floor, the lower shock balljoints are too short. They are also very soft, but paradoxically develop slop when pulled on and off a lot.
What ride heights are you running??!?! I can quite easily get to 7mm+ without any issues. That's setting the shocks to a 12mm length (top balljoint to bottom of shock, exposed shaft length).

The irony is that all the fanboys who could not stomach my criticism a year ago now are silent or did an about face or sold their cars and moved on.
Yawn again
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

http://kentech.blogs.se/2015/04/15/s...ases-20237635/

Tamiya has made their own aluminium chassis plate, will be shown shizuoka this year
Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Would be based on what Rheinard used to win at Rnd2 ETS - good for high grip/carpet!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

Looking to only buying 1 brand of diff and shock oil for consistency. I was considering muchmore because it seems to be on most set up sheets however, arrowmax is cheaper and can be purchased locally. I know this sounds a bit silly but is there any real advantage to choose muchmore?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Consistent and yes, on setup sheets as you say so if you trying to replicate it makes it easy. It's also clear and clean - doesn't stink, stain or make a mess like some other do (ala yokomo or TRF gear diff oil)

Not 100% sure if MM oil is CST or not. Doesn't say on the bottle from memory.

I just stocked up on about $100 worth from mushroom ages ago (probably less actually) of common weights for diff and shock oil - won't be running out in a hurry and need to replace. Way cheaper than anything local, sadly. At the time anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.