Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

It bad to know the gear diff still leaks even applied "anti-wear grease" with MuchMore Gear Diff Oil #2000. I wonder if Yokomo Dot 3 gear diff oil in which it seems thicker.

Any suggestion?
Old 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

AW grease will not help at all.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimmylim85
It bad to know the gear diff still leaks even applied "anti-wear grease" with MuchMore Gear Diff Oil #2000. I wonder if Yokomo Dot 3 gear diff oil in which it seems thicker.

Any suggestion?
I used green slime (not a lot) with the red o-rings, lightly sanded the rear of the bevel gears and built it as per kit instructions.

I'm very happy with the diff and how smooth it is.

I think over filling the diff with oil might make it leak?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

^^correct. I think that's a common mistake. You want it to cover the shafts and "lap" the top of the spider gears.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Now a question from me, has anyone had any issues with pinion fitment over the 418 (or others)

I'm finding that the output shaft of my LRP x20 is too short for the chassis to fit a pinion "nose" out and when you put it nose in, it doesn't align as well as I'd like with the spur.

Note how far in the shaft is. So far you can barely see it. I'm using a pinion with a variable offset grub screw and it still doesn't hold. Std 9mm pinion.

Nose in works, but the pinion won't align.

Pinion hanging off the end of the spur.

This wasn't a problem with the 418. I think the motor mount itself might be a bit thicker.

Using my Trinity D4 is fine, it has a longer output shaft.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Think they mentioned the motor mount being .5mm outboard when compared to the TRF418.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cplus
Now a question from me, has anyone had any issues with pinion fitment over the 418 (or others)

I'm finding that the output shaft of my LRP x20 is too short for the chassis to fit a pinion "nose" out and when you put it nose in, it doesn't align as well as I'd like with the spur.

Note how far in the shaft is. So far you can barely see it. I'm using a pinion with a variable offset grub screw and it still doesn't hold. Std 9mm pinion.
Bust out the dremel and extend the flat part of the rotor shaft towards the motor. You should be able to seat the pinion further to center it to the spur.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gtr r34 m-spec
I used green slime (not a lot) with the red o-rings, lightly sanded the rear of the bevel gears and built it as per kit instructions.

I'm very happy with the diff and how smooth it is.

I think over filling the diff with oil might make it leak?
I think that is the problems and some are mistaking it for leaking. I overfilled mine and did not initially notice until after a test run.

I removed the diff to inspect. No leak around output shafts. Just some residue where to halves meet. I cleaned it with degreaser and tooth brush. Now will run it again to see if any extra fluid remains.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This wasn't a problem with the 418. I think the motor mount itself might be a bit thicker.

I had problems with my LRP x20. The shafts are shorter than other motors. I had to run a certain brand pinion for it to work on my 418. I would say run a thicker spur if possible and run short pinions. Not sure if the CRC are short enough, but I was thinking the old black Robinson Racing pinions.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Damn stupid of LRP to do that really.

Time to throw away all my LRP Gear
Old 02-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use Panaracer brand pinions. I had this problem with a lot of other pinion brands. They are also quieter when paired with Panaracer spur gears.

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF419-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kawada pinions work well too!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi guys,

sorry for the noob questions, what are some of the common suspension blocks to get? coming from yokomo side it is easy to get the block as they are all number, but tamiya are all in letters and it is kind of confusing.

Thanks,

Aoi
Old 02-04-2015, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

These are panaracer Spurs and xenon pinions. Panaracer don't make a 48p pinion to my knowledge. The only one I could find came in a xenon packet

I've used kawada "super duralumin" pinions - they are soft as butter. No good outdoors on asphalt.

I tried to see if it was any different to the xenon - no dice, exactly the same problem.

I've compared the motor mount today, the 419 is noticeably thicker.

It sits more on the centreline and also extends further back. This results in the end of the rotor shaft sitting back further by 1-2mm.

Enough to stuff me up!!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

These are panaracer Spurs and xenon pinions. Panaracer don't make a 48p pinion to my knowledge. The only one I could find came in a xenon packet

I've used kawada "super duralumin" pinions - they are soft as butter. No good outdoors on asphalt.

I tried to see if it was any different to the xenon - no dice, exactly the same problem.

I've compared the motor mount today, the 419 is noticeably thicker.

It sits more on the centreline and also extends further back. This results in the end of the rotor shaft sitting back further by 1-2mm.

Enough to stuff me up!!
They do make 48P but in regards to your issue have you tried CRC pinions? They're much slimmer than most brands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.