R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #826
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Are there "better", metal diff gears that would be advisable to replace the GV/51567 tree?

Why does my EVO 6 have metal gears and a plastic/static cross pin and the exact opposite on the 419....plastic gears with alum/keyed (x2) cross pins?
Nearly every OnRoad belt drive car will have plastic diff gears with metal cross pins

Shaft cars might have metal gears with metal cross pins, Belt driven cars don't put much load on gears due their rubber belt design, shaft cars have very little give, so the extra durability of metal gears may be necessary

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #827
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Are there "better", metal diff gears that would be advisable to replace the GV/51567 tree?

Why does my EVO 6 have metal gears and a plastic/static cross pin and the exact opposite on the 419....plastic gears with alum/keyed (x2) cross pins?
There are metal options for the old size gears - but not "better"

They are heavier, noisier and less smooth.

Not required for a belt car as said above.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #828
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have never ran any metal gears inside any of my Tamiya diffs. In my opinion they are not necessary. The silicone fluid acts as protection on the gears, so unless your filling the diff case with WD40, you're not going to blow the diff in a TC.

Last edited by Raman; 01-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #829
Tech Apprentice

Hi, can anyone let me know what does belt tension affect in the car's handling ? Tighter front vs rear and vice versa ?

Thanks!
MatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #830
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatJ View Post
Hi, can anyone let me know what does belt tension affect in the car's handling ? Tighter front vs rear and vice versa ?

Thanks!
I never thought belt tension could be used as a tuning aid
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #831
Tech Elite

Belt tension effects rolling resistance, that's about it. My understanding is for 17.5 you run it fairly loose. For mod tight.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #832
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Anyone have a solution for the leaking did yet? Seems like every other time out it leaks.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #833
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Anyone have a solution for the leaking did yet? Seems like every other time out it leaks.
Are you using the red oring from kit? What have you tried? Greenslime?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #834
Tech Fanatic

I've mounted TRF419 gear diff in my TRF418 chassis and been using it for about 2 weeks and i have no leaks.
I'm Always using tamiya gear differential grease, works great.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 AM   #835
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatJ View Post

Thanks!
I remember reading a post from paul lemieux explaining how it effects handling some time back. Maybe check back in that forum.

BD
Dray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:57 AM   #836
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray01 View Post
I remember reading a post from paul lemieux explaining how it effects handling some time back. Maybe check back in that forum.

BD
Xray explains it in one of its setup guides/manuals the effect of front/rear belt tension. Guess it applies universal.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #837
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Dude, there is no magic to building a leak free diff. Slime and all the other stuff doesn't stop leaks. It's proper pressure on the o-rings that does. For that you have to shim correctly the outdrives to put a bit of pressure on the o-rings so they squash against the outdrives (not kill them, but enough to seal). You need to lubricate the o-rings a bit before installing and that's it.

If you have a leak around the case mating faces, you need to sand these flat and make sure you tighten the screws evenly around.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 01-23-2015 at 10:04 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #838
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray01 View Post

BD
I'll try. Same with Martin Crisp's thread, he was talking about it but I can't seem to find it anymore..

I'll keep looking and post it here if I do find something.
MatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #839
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Are you using the red oring from kit? What have you tried? Greenslime?
Used the kit orange ones the first build. Used Kyosho orange the second build. Both with Green Slime. The weird thing is both times the first day no leaks at all. The second day it starts leaking.

I will try Nizmal shimming technique but i would think if that were the case that the diff was not shimmed properly then it would start leaking right away.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #840
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Here is a tip from one of the TRF drivers who made a comment to me about the new diff AND about substituting bearings for the kit supplied diff bushings.

"About the diff: I have read the comments about the diff on RC TECH and I'm really surprised so many people have this issue. For me the diff is fine and it leaks almost nothing. I use the Kyosho red o-ring as this is better for leaking but you need to be careful because after using it a few weeks the o-ring gets bigger so you need to shim out the outdrive again ( go from 0.3 to 0.2 or even 0.1mm ). Slime can also help and of course heavier diff oil helps as well. I use the standard diff bushing, if you use bearing the oil goes into the bearing and the diff is not free anymore."

Naznai is correct in his comments about compressing the o ring too much. The diff oil swells the o ring to a point where there is too much compression and it requires re-shimming to compensate for the swelling. goingtodirt, this is probably why your diff started to leak as the o ring began to swell. Looks like re-shimming might solve the problem. It's at least worth a try to see if it solves the problem.
I've also heard guys swapping out the kit supplied bushings that come with the diff with bearings. As you can see from the comment above, it's not the best choice for a free moving diff. I think Tamiya would have put bearings in this area if it was the best choice in their high end kit. It may also be the cause of a diff leak. If the diff oil can penetrate the bearing it will also seep through it and possibly be the cause of leaking.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote