R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Ah, so is it more of a case of thats the Japanese way of saying/spelling an English term as opposed to the Japanese word for it? (ie: cause there isn't actually one?)
They get foreign words, and pronounce it in katakana, and then it becomes a new vocabulary. The term RC(radio control) becomes ra-ji-o ko-n-to-ro---ru. On top of that they usually abbreviate it with the first two characters of each term and end up with a single term (ra-ji-ko-n), which almost everyone in Japan understand its meaning.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Ah, so is it more of a case of thats the Japanese way of saying/spelling an English term as opposed to the Japanese word for it? (ie: cause there isn't actually one?)
Exactly, but this isn't the case for all words that we think are "westernized."
For example, baseball. You would think it would be BA-SU-BO-RU. Interestingly the Japanese have their own word for it, and it's called Puro Yakyuu (ぷろやきゅう). See how it's not written in katakana, because it's a Japanese derived word. Same with car, which is called Kuruma. But these words are very common and be interchanged without much confusion.

I won't hijack the tread anymore

So that 419 looks すごいですね!
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks like the layshaft mount is rounded on top like the Yokes which means you lose the ability to connect the top deck to the layshaft mount with the 2.6mm screws & 0.5mm shims. Has anyone actually tried their 418 with the mount connected to the top deck? More/less rear grip?

On another note, why doesn't Tamiya do the obvious logical change and locate the pivot blocks PROPERLY using a couple holes in the chassis and 2 locating dowels per sude that actually fit tight, unlike the floating servo mount & upper bulkhead ones which more or less do nothing. So many times I have to shim one pivot block different than the other because they are being located entirely by the flat head screws going into the chassis. If the screws are a little crooked or not perfect (even new screws) those pivot blocks wind up sitting a little crooked. One side could be 3.2 degrees, the other may be 2.7!!

I love Tamiya, but I don't run this car because I think its the absolute best sedan, I run it because of the quality of parts, the different options they have, the parts sharing across platforms and frankly the fact I grew up with them--my first hobby grade RCs were Tamiyas and they got me in this awesome hobby, but it would be nice if some of their ideas were executed better especially on a $500-$600 TRF chassis in a crowded sedan market. So many cheaper options that are as good or possibly better, that you have to LOVE this company to want to run this car.

I am probably a Tamiya fan-boy and I got no problem admitting it!

Tamiya/Team Associated/Orca
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Those crappy images look like they adopted the Yokomo style of keying the suspension blocks. I have noticed the slop in their keys too, hence the expression "tamiya slop".

Here's my way of dealing with the blocks. When I tighten them down I have a piece of square tool steel clamped across the chassis to both blocks to make sure they point towards each other (I assume that's the best way to make sure they're square; if both have the holes in the chassis skewed the wrong way, I'm screwed). Then I do up the bolts from underneath. Seems to be working fine, no difference between left and right toe.

Yeah, you may be a fanboy but if you didn't catch on, most people here are. Personally I like Tamiya cars, but I think they could do a lot better for my money.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 08-21-2014 at 08:40 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin

I'm not sure where everyone comes across as seeing the 418 as so bad. I mean let's be honest the c hubs need work and the kit chassis is way to stiff (almost backward weave imo)

But this car is very good and absolutely capable. Yeah it may take work to get good and time and effort but let's face it. At the top level you're going to wrench to find that 1 tenth anyways. It'd always like that. Coming off of being a very accomplished racer of the xray line of cars I couldn't be more happier.

all cars need help and tlc. This is not a bad car imho. Not perfect but not nearly as bad as everyone claims it to be. Not trying to be mean but the ones saying how bad it is probably need more wrench time and they would realize working on ur car goes along way.

Sorry about the rant...

on to the topic. I hope the car is good. Kind of shocking to not see a newer version but can't wait for the release. It all lools like good changes.

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #66
Tech Master

+1.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #67
Tech Elite

The "bad" talk of the car didn't stop me from buying it. I actually like it a lot (except chubs). I just picked up the Samix Aluminum chassis for it. Gonna give it a go in practice this weekend on carpet. It'll be my main car this winter for carpet season starting next month.

Commenting on the new style suspension mounts, I think the "L" style separate mounts help prevent chassis tweak. What I noticed when installing the aluminum chassis on my 418 was that when you tighten down the separate mounts, the chassis will start to tweak. Not left to right but front to back. Loosen the separate mounts and it goes away. Not only that but with an "L" shaped mount, you can narrow the chassis a hair more in those areas.

These are just my observations so far.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #68
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

On carpet, I think the 418 is the second best car I've driven, second only to the Awesomatix. It feels quite a bit better than the T4'14 and BD7.

The gear diff has needed some attention for a while. I'm glad to see they're taking another look at it.

I sincerely hope they're not just trying to copy the BD7 though, because everybody I've seen drive that car goes slower with it. Ronald is amazing, but that car has never looked great to me in the hands of mere mortals.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #69
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
On carpet, I think the 418 is the second best car I've driven, second only to the Awesomatix. It feels quite a bit better than the T4'14 and BD7.

The gear diff has needed some attention for a while. I'm glad to see they're taking another look at it.

I sincerely hope they're not just trying to copy the BD7 though, because everybody I've seen drive that car goes slower with it. Ronald is amazing, but that car has never looked great to me in the hands of mere mortals.
The opposite is true on our carpet track

Though I have also seen many other brands go well occasionally, even the 418

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #70
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
The opposite is true on our carpet track

Though I have also seen many other brands go well occasionally, even the 418
Which cars are working the best at TQ?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I'm surprised that Tamiya are bringing out the 419, considering how long the 415 and 417 lasted in the market.

There were huge bulkhead changes between the original 415 and 415 MS/MSX and Tamiya stuck with calling it the 415. Will be interesting to see clearer photos of the 419 to see what the changes are
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #72
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Which cars are working the best at TQ?
1/12 scale hold the track records

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #73
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
1/12 scale hold the track records
zZzzzzZZZzzzzzzzz...
Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The main culprit who started this whole 418 is "bad talk" started by none other than Mr. Maximum Sh!T. After his unsavory comments about the chassis and his mediocre results psyched out some potential buyers and therefore opted out from purchasing the chassis.

Also, I would say this is the year of the "Volker." Very well Marc has passed his prime and it's hard for him to accept..

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 08-21-2014 at 09:23 PM.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #75
Tech Master

To say the person who regularly finished ahead of everyone except one other racer 'is passed it' is a very big call.

Agreed Marc should have kept his mouth shut but venting frustration is to be human.

In the later rounds with a few updated parts they were by the end of the events toe to toe with RV. Shame they didn't run as well during qualifying as they may have won a few more rounds.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote