Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Old 01-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcika
What i have also realized the ride height is different ;( left vs right in the front with same damper setting (ring setting same 2.5mm for preload) so spring pre load should be the same if spiring is also same size (pink yokomo btw)...shall i change it to have same ride high? Thankswith
More things I'd suggest checking:
1) Make sure your droop is set right (or just back the screws way off for now). If the droop screw is pushing the arm up above where it wants to be at ride height, that'll cause all kinds of badness. Might be something you overlooked with a fresh build.
2) Make sure your shock towers are straight. With the car on droop blocks or flat on the setup board, measure from top of tower to setup board on each side and make sure it's even. If the shock tower is crooked, it'll make the preloads weird. If it's not counter-sunk, you can probably loosen the screws and shift it a bit to get it straight.
3) Check to see if the springs are the same length left and right. It's not a huge deal if they're a bit different, but it does mean you'll need uneven preload collar settings to get it balanced. Just something to note.

If you've checked everything you can check, then yeah, start by getting the ride heights right on all 4 corners before you hit the scales. I also like to set droop with a droop gauge, and then feel the tension on the springs while the wheels are in the air to make it even left and right. If you do that, it should be close when you hit the scales.

-Mike
Old 01-01-2015, 04:40 AM
blf
Tech Apprentice

Just a general comment but why is the 419 "only" approx. $450 when MSRP is close to 1100?

I'm going to be building a TB EVO 6 but wondering if the 419 would be a better option or does it depend on track conditions.

I see the wheelbase is 251mm on the 419 vs 257mm on the EVO 6 ------ but aside from that, what is the big difference between belt vs shaft ?

Thanks guys, newb to 1:10 on road
Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blf
Just a general comment but why is the 419 "only" approx. $450 when MSRP is close to 1100?

I'm going to be building a TB EVO 6 but wondering if the 419 would be a better option or does it depend on track conditions.

I see the wheelbase is 251mm on the 419 vs 257mm on the EVO 6 ------ but aside from that, what is the big difference between belt vs shaft ?

Because Tamiya lives in lala land where they see eskimoes and leprechauns that make money out of cow dung.

That is not a difference induced by the transmission used. Wheelbase is adjustable beyond that anyway.

Best way to figure it out is to build two equivalent cars with shaft and belt and compare. Depending on motor class you'll find the answer more or less quickly.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 AM
blf
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by niznai
Because Tamiya lives in lala land where they see eskimoes and leprechauns that make money out of cow dung.

That is not a difference induced by the transmission used. Wheelbase is adjustable beyond that anyway.

Best way to figure it out is to build two equivalent cars with shaft and belt and compare. Depending on motor class you'll find the answer more or less quickly.
Sounds good I was thinking of doing that (building both) ---- why are there no US dealers selling the 419 or am I missing the right vendors? I guess RC Mart is my only option?
Old 01-01-2015, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Essentially because Hong Kong os closer to Japan.

The 419 boxes are probably sitting on the docks waiting for lazy customs to clear them.

Then off to the distributor. Then off to the dealers.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 AM
blf
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cplus

The 419 boxes are probably sitting on the docks waiting for lazy customs to clear them.

Any reason to wait for a US Dealer as opposed to grabbing one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-1-10-...item20f28bc6b2
Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Mainland europe had theirs at the start of December..
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blf
Any reason to wait for a US Dealer as opposed to grabbing one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-1-10-...item20f28bc6b2
Or you could order from RCMart directly which is who is selling that in EBay for $30 less.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Hey,
Problem looks being fixed by re-screwing most of the screws. Motor holder made some tweak and springs a bit. Thanks for the comments. Now the car is 310-315g/corner.
Originally Posted by grippgoat
More things I'd suggest checking:
1) Make sure your droop is set right (or just back the screws way off for now). If the droop screw is pushing the arm up above where it wants to be at ride height, that'll cause all kinds of badness. Might be something you overlooked with a fresh build.
2) Make sure your shock towers are straight. With the car on droop blocks or flat on the setup board, measure from top of tower to setup board on each side and make sure it's even. If the shock tower is crooked, it'll make the preloads weird. If it's not counter-sunk, you can probably loosen the screws and shift it a bit to get it straight.
3) Check to see if the springs are the same length left and right. It's not a huge deal if they're a bit different, but it does mean you'll need uneven preload collar settings to get it balanced. Just something to note.

If you've checked everything you can check, then yeah, start by getting the ride heights right on all 4 corners before you hit the scales. I also like to set droop with a droop gauge, and then feel the tension on the springs while the wheels are in the air to make it even left and right. If you do that, it should be close when you hit the scales.

-Mike
Old 01-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default my 419 for sale

I will keep my 417V5. see my post. 518-495-0703. text me for pics
Old 01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Mainland europe had theirs at the start of December..
Yup. I think US customs are just plain slow.

Atleast they get them, the Aus importer brings in zilch with a TRF header card.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

No, it's because they are geared to trade hence they move swiftly plus there is no HK dealer hence everybody orders individually when they want not when the stock needs resupply or when HQ decides to send them new stock.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Apart from he specifics of the first line, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Customs. Wholesaler. Local distributor. Stores.

Many hands. All taking a cut as well.

Rcmart likely buys direct from Tamiya HQ in Japan I expect.

You really do like to argue with anyone and everything huh.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Apart from he specifics of the first line, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Customs. Wholesaler. Local distributor. Stores.

Many hands. All taking a cut as well.

Rcmart likely buys direct from Tamiya HQ in Japan I expect.

You really do like to argue with anyone and everything huh.

None of what you said reflects that decision is made elsewhere in the case of authorised dealers/importers.

Yes, RC Mart buys directly, but not when Tamiya wants them to.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blf

Ive had a tb evo 6 before i bought the 419, its nice but its just to heavy to be competitive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.