R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 AM   #616
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcika View Post
What i have also realized the ride height is different ;( left vs right in the front with same damper setting (ring setting same 2.5mm for preload) so spring pre load should be the same if spiring is also same size (pink yokomo btw)...shall i change it to have same ride high? Thankswith
More things I'd suggest checking:
1) Make sure your droop is set right (or just back the screws way off for now). If the droop screw is pushing the arm up above where it wants to be at ride height, that'll cause all kinds of badness. Might be something you overlooked with a fresh build.
2) Make sure your shock towers are straight. With the car on droop blocks or flat on the setup board, measure from top of tower to setup board on each side and make sure it's even. If the shock tower is crooked, it'll make the preloads weird. If it's not counter-sunk, you can probably loosen the screws and shift it a bit to get it straight.
3) Check to see if the springs are the same length left and right. It's not a huge deal if they're a bit different, but it does mean you'll need uneven preload collar settings to get it balanced. Just something to note.

If you've checked everything you can check, then yeah, start by getting the ride heights right on all 4 corners before you hit the scales. I also like to set droop with a droop gauge, and then feel the tension on the springs while the wheels are in the air to make it even left and right. If you do that, it should be close when you hit the scales.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #617
blf
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 94
Default

Just a general comment but why is the 419 "only" approx. $450 when MSRP is close to 1100?

I'm going to be building a TB EVO 6 but wondering if the 419 would be a better option or does it depend on track conditions.

I see the wheelbase is 251mm on the 419 vs 257mm on the EVO 6 ------ but aside from that, what is the big difference between belt vs shaft ?

Thanks guys, newb to 1:10 on road
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:52 AM   #618
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Just a general comment but why is the 419 "only" approx. $450 when MSRP is close to 1100?

I'm going to be building a TB EVO 6 but wondering if the 419 would be a better option or does it depend on track conditions.

I see the wheelbase is 251mm on the 419 vs 257mm on the EVO 6 ------ but aside from that, what is the big difference between belt vs shaft ?

Thanks guys, newb to 1:10 on road
Because Tamiya lives in lala land where they see eskimoes and leprechauns that make money out of cow dung.

That is not a difference induced by the transmission used. Wheelbase is adjustable beyond that anyway.

Best way to figure it out is to build two equivalent cars with shaft and belt and compare. Depending on motor class you'll find the answer more or less quickly.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #619
blf
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Because Tamiya lives in lala land where they see eskimoes and leprechauns that make money out of cow dung.

That is not a difference induced by the transmission used. Wheelbase is adjustable beyond that anyway.

Best way to figure it out is to build two equivalent cars with shaft and belt and compare. Depending on motor class you'll find the answer more or less quickly.
Sounds good I was thinking of doing that (building both) ---- why are there no US dealers selling the 419 or am I missing the right vendors? I guess RC Mart is my only option?
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #620
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Essentially because Hong Kong os closer to Japan.

The 419 boxes are probably sitting on the docks waiting for lazy customs to clear them.

Then off to the distributor. Then off to the dealers.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #621
blf
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Essentially because Hong Kong os closer to Japan.

The 419 boxes are probably sitting on the docks waiting for lazy customs to clear them.

Then off to the distributor. Then off to the dealers.
Any reason to wait for a US Dealer as opposed to grabbing one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-1-10-...item20f28bc6b2
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #622
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Essentially because Hong Kong os closer to Japan.

The 419 boxes are probably sitting on the docks waiting for lazy customs to clear them.

Then off to the distributor. Then off to the dealers.
Mainland europe had theirs at the start of December..
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #623
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Any reason to wait for a US Dealer as opposed to grabbing one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-1-10-...item20f28bc6b2
Or you could order from RCMart directly which is who is selling that in EBay for $30 less.
__________________
TRF 418 - Team Powers 17.5, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Xpert servo
Xray T4 2016 - Trinity D4, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Ko Propo servo and radio
KustomRCGraphics.com (Best looking novice on the track)
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #624
Tech Adept
 
Marcika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hungary
Posts: 109
Default

Hey,
Problem looks being fixed by re-screwing most of the screws. Motor holder made some tweak and springs a bit. Thanks for the comments. Now the car is 310-315g/corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
More things I'd suggest checking:
1) Make sure your droop is set right (or just back the screws way off for now). If the droop screw is pushing the arm up above where it wants to be at ride height, that'll cause all kinds of badness. Might be something you overlooked with a fresh build.
2) Make sure your shock towers are straight. With the car on droop blocks or flat on the setup board, measure from top of tower to setup board on each side and make sure it's even. If the shock tower is crooked, it'll make the preloads weird. If it's not counter-sunk, you can probably loosen the screws and shift it a bit to get it straight.
3) Check to see if the springs are the same length left and right. It's not a huge deal if they're a bit different, but it does mean you'll need uneven preload collar settings to get it balanced. Just something to note.

If you've checked everything you can check, then yeah, start by getting the ride heights right on all 4 corners before you hit the scales. I also like to set droop with a droop gauge, and then feel the tension on the springs while the wheels are in the air to make it even left and right. If you do that, it should be close when you hit the scales.

-Mike
Marcika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #625
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default my 419 for sale

I will keep my 417V5. see my post. 518-495-0703. text me for pics
__________________
Previous username: MBUCK
noworries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #626
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Mainland europe had theirs at the start of December..
Yup. I think US customs are just plain slow.

Atleast they get them, the Aus importer brings in zilch with a TRF header card.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #627
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Essentially because Hong Kong os closer to Japan.

The 419 boxes are probably sitting on the docks waiting for lazy customs to clear them.

Then off to the distributor. Then off to the dealers.
No, it's because they are geared to trade hence they move swiftly plus there is no HK dealer hence everybody orders individually when they want not when the stock needs resupply or when HQ decides to send them new stock.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #628
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Apart from he specifics of the first line, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Customs. Wholesaler. Local distributor. Stores.

Many hands. All taking a cut as well.

Rcmart likely buys direct from Tamiya HQ in Japan I expect.

You really do like to argue with anyone and everything huh.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #629
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Apart from he specifics of the first line, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Customs. Wholesaler. Local distributor. Stores.

Many hands. All taking a cut as well.

Rcmart likely buys direct from Tamiya HQ in Japan I expect.

You really do like to argue with anyone and everything huh.

None of what you said reflects that decision is made elsewhere in the case of authorised dealers/importers.

Yes, RC Mart buys directly, but not when Tamiya wants them to.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:49 AM   #630
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Just a general comment but why is the 419 "only" approx. $450 when MSRP is close to 1100?

I'm going to be building a TB EVO 6 but wondering if the 419 would be a better option or does it depend on track conditions.

I see the wheelbase is 251mm on the 419 vs 257mm on the EVO 6 ------ but aside from that, what is the big difference between belt vs shaft ?

Thanks guys, newb to 1:10 on road
Ive had a tb evo 6 before i bought the 419, its nice but its just to heavy to be competitive.
jonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
MatsNorway
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:18 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0