R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #46
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
Interesting to hear. All my experience with the 418 has been on asphalt where even with a slightly softer chassis the car is nervous to drive, often to the point of completely losing rear grip 3 minutes in. I have tried multitude of roll center adjustments, different pivot block widths, spring, oil & piston changes & while those helped, my 417 Raceberry was just easier & more consistent which ultimately led to faster total times.

Was your Yoke comparison an original BD7 or the 2014 version?
I owned the original and drove a 2014 several times. Neither one felt particularly good to me on carpet. The 418 is a bit nervous, but it turns really well which is what I care about most in a car.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/nieder...llauto126.html

Think this is the latest vid. Notice the new suspension mount holes from under the chassis. Gotta buy all new ones...
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The motor mount is pretty obvious. The split blocks also look.... Different...
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF419-trf.jpg  
masterhit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
The motor mount is pretty obvious. The split blocks also look.... Different...
Don't think Tamiya will be nice enough to give us an insert style split block? or is that wishful thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF419-untitled-2.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Neither are there's.

Those sections do not make sense to anyone who does speak English as their first language!

It's a bit of bad translation
Doesn't help that there are words in the Japanese language, especially when it is technical type terms, that do not have a direct English translation.

Like "Giyadefu" - it pretty much means "gear diff assembly"!

You see it a lot in full size car tuning circles, as well as plenty of japlish. there are some awesome marketing statements out there. Especially ones from the 1980's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
wow, pretty much admitting that the 418 was enough of a fubar to break tradition and rush off to the next number. Like it never happened
It seems it is only really the mod guys complaining though - and MR in particular obviously! - but for the lower specs, it seems to work really well.

It's tough, easy to build, doesn't tweak easy etc etc.

I'll still buy the new one though. Will give me a good car for 21.5t and one for 13.5t
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Maybe they'll clear old stock by releasing a 418MS - Maximum Sh!t edition.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Maybe they'll clear old stock by releasing a 418MS - Maximum Sh!t edition.

-Mike
ROFL the irony in the acronyms. but knowing them, they probably waited until the very last one was sold before announcing the 419. Now that they also developed suspension blocks unique to the car, I wonder where they will take this to.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Food for thought :)

You see it a lot in full size car tuning circles, as well as plenty of japlish.

The correct term is "Katakana" not japlish. Their syllabary consists of three writing systems; hiragana, kanji (Chinese characters), and katakana. Hiragana and kanji is used for Japanese language words. Whereas the katakana writing system is used for Western words.

Their alphabet is completely different to ours. We have A,B,C ect. Where Japanese have a ton of pairings such as Ka,Ki,Ku,Ke,Ko. The only similarities between the two alphabets would be Japanese letters A,I,U,E,O.

My name is Edward and is obviously it;s a Western name. So my name would be E-DO-WA-D0.

Giyadifu GI-YA-DI-FU
Amerika A-ME-RI-KA

Also, Japanese sentence follow a S.O.V structure. English is S.V.O, so that's why you get some really messed up translations. Also, Kanji has multiple interpretations, so you'll get some really odd words thrown into sentences.

Thought this would be interesting for some of you.

Onomatopoeia is simply describing something by using sounds. For example, to describe a cat we say "meow" or pig "oink." The Japanese have thousands of these sounds and use it in everyday life to describe many things. I find this is especially prominent in r/c racing.

When I started gluing my 1/12th foam tires, the store owner helped me. He kept saying "guru guru".. I was like what the hell are you saying? He showed me that once the foam is on the rim, you put the glue nozzle in between the two and "guru guru"... Guru guru??? I found out "Guru guru" is an action of moving something in a circular motion.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #54
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This thread is getting good...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
This thread is getting good...
Lol
2015 Roar Fuel On Road Nationals,U.S.World Nitro Cup Completed
2016 U.S. World Nitro Cup Dec 7th - Dec 11th
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
You see it a lot in full size car tuning circles, as well as plenty of japlish.

The correct term is "Katakana" not japlish. Their syllabary consists of three writing systems; hiragana, kanji (Chinese characters), and katakana. Hiragana and kanji is used for Japanese language words. Whereas the katakana writing system is used for Western words.

Their alphabet is completely different to ours. We have A,B,C ect. Where Japanese have a ton of pairings such as Ka,Ki,Ku,Ke,Ko. The only similarities between the two alphabets would be Japanese letters A,I,U,E,O.

My name is Edward and is obviously it;s a Western name. So my name would be E-DO-WA-D0.

Giyadifu GI-YA-DI-FU
Amerika A-ME-RI-KA

Also, Japanese sentence follow a S.O.V structure. English is S.V.O, so that's why you get some really messed up translations. Also, Kanji has multiple interpretations, so you'll get some really odd words thrown into sentences.

Thought this would be interesting for some of you.

Onomatopoeia is simply describing something by using sounds. For example, to describe a cat we say "meow" or pig "oink." The Japanese have thousands of these sounds and use it in everyday life to describe many things. I find this is especially prominent in r/c racing.

When I started gluing my 1/12th foam tires, the store owner helped me. He kept saying "guru guru".. I was like what the hell are you saying? He showed me that once the foam is on the rim, you put the glue nozzle in between the two and "guru guru"... Guru guru??? I found out "Guru guru" is an action of moving something in a circular motion.
since we are on the topic...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
Well, I don't "know" exactly but reading around coverage of the larger races like ETS people have been talking about these redesigned diffs that hold a bit more oil. I would think Tamiya would be correcting the fact that to really build a solid, reliable diff you must sand the backs of the gears and at least in my experience throw out the thin 0.1 shims and use individual 0.2 or 0.3 shims depending on mesh.

What do you think is wrong with the motor mount? Not challenging, I am just curious myself.
I don't think there's anything wrong, but if they changed it (and it seems they just followed the Yokomo/Samix recipe) they must think something's wrong, I imagine?

I always sanded the gears (including in Xray diffs), and I found the best diff on the market right now is probably the Schumacher. And yes, I have all the Tamiya diffs, Schumacher, Corally, Xray, Spec-R, Yokomo (don't have AE, but I guess those won't be far from the Yok ones). The Xray diffs are again a brilliant diff, light, precise, smooth, perfect material (seems to be the same as the Schumacher). Tamiya is lagging behind, but not the volume, I don't think that's the problem. Their diffs are too chunky and look just like a Spec-R diff coming off a better mold. That's it. Not worth the 50 bucks or so, really.

But for capacity, I would guess the Schumacher diff is the smallest (if you discount the Corally) and I don't see a problem with it.

If I had a recommendation about diffs that would be to go to lower tooth count so we can get the spec ratios easier instead of resorting to intergalactic pinions that obstruct access to motor mount screws. I changed my diffs to my liking (my 418 is running Xrays) for that reason, but also to take advantage of what I consider the best gear. I have on my list a test run with the Schumacher diffs in the future as well.

This would offer Tamiya the option of lowering the bulkheads too.

As for the motor mount, from the video above it seems they just went straight to a Yokomo 2013 type with the possibility they'll move on later to a BD7/14 or Samix type.

The suspension blocks are again identical to Yokomo. If the holes match, even better for me!

All that's left is to adopt an Xray type servo mount (like they have in the TRF503) and I'm happy.

But all of that is no innovation. A revolutionary move would be if they tried a proper development of their shaft drive car to bring it up to spec and push into Awesomatix territory. Looks like a very tasty chassis, but it just doesn't convince, reports are mixed and results inexistent, some crap basic problems with plastics, and gears from last century. This is where they have a choice. Leave Awesomatix to get further ahead, or dive in balls out so to speak. I mean serious stuff, hypoid gears, titanium bulkheads, the works. Especially since it seems they want almost 700$ for their car.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 08-20-2014 at 09:24 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Giyadifu GI-YA-DI-FU
So Giyadifu is literally the sounds of 'Ge-ya diff'
Interesting, once explained it now makes sense.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
So Giyadifu is literally the sounds of 'Ge-ya diff'
Interesting, once explained it now makes sense.
Yeah, exactly.

It's a little more like this when pronounced - Ge-yaa-dif-foo

Katakana and hiragana look different too. Katakana syllabary has a sharper look to its design. Hiragana has a more smooth and flowing.

タミヤ Tamiya is in katakana
ヨコモ Yokomo is in katakana

Now both in hiragana

たみや
よこも

See the difference?

My name is Edward.

エドワド in katakana
えどわど in hiragana

You will never see my name or western words spelt in hiragana. It's strange to do so. Since Tamiya and Yokomo are international brands I guess they have decided to switch to western style of writing. If you have a manual with Japanese check it out.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:32 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Giyadifu GI-YA-DI-FU
Amerika A-ME-RI-KA
Ah, so is it more of a case of thats the Japanese way of saying/spelling an English term as opposed to the Japanese word for it? (ie: cause there isn't actually one?)
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote