Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Get a Japanese girlfriend or mistress?
That's even better idea
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by goin2drt
How do I preorder from RC champ when I don't read Japanese?
You get in touch with one of their advisers who will answer your emails in english. Here:

[email protected]

I know their older advisers, so the names might not be useful now, but you will get an email in english.

Have some part numbers so you make their life (and yours) easier.

All above points work, but keep in mind Torg (and others) are talking after they've lived there for a little while. This is like saying I know my country better than you. Duh.

The situation does not compare with how easily you can find these shops in other places (like Europe or America) where you only need to be passing by and you're there. I am talking of course of the shops with the best price. Time constraints might also affect how much you can wait for a discount to happen as well.

On the other hand, i do not understand how in japan they can have side by side cheap places like Yodobashi Camera where you can pick up a lot of camera gear cheaply (and you can haggle on price as well) and next door a place where they sell R/C stuff and it's overpriced beyond imagination.

I travelled at a time where my dollar was 1.2 US$ and still got 76 Yen to my dollar on every transaction when in Australia I would get 100 or more. Don't rely on the exchange rate at home is the moral of my story.

I would expect those TRF 418 kits at about 48-50k Yen in the picture would be above 500$ after all fees and charges are added up and tax is paid. Keep in mind as well Japan has about thee different prices they can hit you with, I don't pretend I understand their system, but as a tourist you're paying the highest and I didn't understand how to claim tax back (Yodobashi is selling tax free if you show your passport).
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
As for the transactions. Japan is a cash based society, everyone walks around with 500-1000 in cash in their wallets. Old traditions die hard in this country.
The "tradition" isn't as old as you think. It relates to the crash in 1991 and the following "lost decade" (it's a term, look it up for more info)

A lot of Japanese mums and dads lost a lot of money - literally disappearing from bank accounts over night in 1991. So there is a distinct lack of trust in banks still today, so cash is king in Japan.

For such a technology savvy country, it comes as a surprise at first for most Gaijin visitors as everyone would "expect" Japan to be at plastic/electronic banking forefront.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
You get in touch with one of their advisers who will answer your emails in english. Here:

[email protected]

I know their older advisers, so the names might not be useful now, but you will get an email in english.

Have some part numbers so you make their life (and yours) easier.

All above points work, but keep in mind Torg (and others) are talking after they've lived there for a little while. This is like saying I know my country better than you. Duh.
Just want to mention that I actually don't live in Japan, nor do I read or speak the language. But I have been a few times for business and have found that being into Tamiya has been a huge help in getting to know people outside of work setting. I get my stuff through colleagues, someone is always flying to and fro... I traded some rare (for Japan) Nike's for an m05v2 for instance, everybody wins

I got introduced to one of the guys that did online international ordering, very nice guy. Used to live in Irvine, California for a while which is close to where I live so we had lots to talk about.

I suggest using chrome web browser, it has built in translate. I read the bottom of rc-champ/net-car for release dates and news regularly.

All that said, I don't ever order from their website, I just send links to my friends.

so how about that motor mount?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by torg
Just want to mention that I actually don't live in Japan, nor do I read or speak the language. But I have been a few times for business and have found that being into Tamiya has been a huge help in getting to know people outside of work setting. I get my stuff through colleagues, someone is always flying to and fro... I traded some rare (for Japan) Nike's for an m05v2 for instance, everybody wins

I got introduced to one of the guys that did online international ordering, very nice guy. Used to live in Irvine, California for a while which is close to where I live so we had lots to talk about.

I suggest using chrome web browser, it has built in translate. I read the bottom of rc-champ/net-car for release dates and news regularly.

All that said, I don't ever order from their website, I just send links to my friends.

so how about that motor mount?
Even better, you have a connection inside. This is not the case for most people who write/read here "such and such is waaay cheaper in Japan" with no mention of how to access that cheaper price.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CW22
That's why, you need eat Sushi more.
I do every Friday. I think I teach him more English so it is time to reciprocate.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would expect those TRF 418 kits at about 48-50k Yen in the picture would be above 500$ after all fees and charges are added up and tax is paid. Keep in mind as well Japan has about thee different prices they can hit you with, I don't pretend I understand their system, but as a tourist you're paying the highest and I didn't understand how to claim tax back (Yodobashi is selling tax free if you show your passport).
this is not true, there are no complex systems, there is no special price for foreigners. every Japanese shop and shopkeeper is honest to a fault. they will chase you 4 blocks if they notice a mistake of even a couple of JPY. Same thing if you leave tip in a restaurant they will chase you to return it.

every advertised price is exactly what you pay + a flat 10% sale tax, nothing more nothing less.

the trf 418 in the picture will cost you exactly as stated + 10%, there is no conspiracy, no foreigner tax, no hidden cost.
That photo is obviously an older foto from when the 418 was current. the 419 cost 45300 at this time in Tokyo.

everyone who posts here that actualy knows tokyo confirms my story yet you keep posting about inflated prices.

I visit Tokyo 2 time a year for family reasons, i am not like you said someone who pretends to know, i actually know what i am talking about

like i said in my first post just bring cash, paypal is not a japanese company and not popular, most Japanese electronics payment systems are from japanese banks, Mastercard has a lot of problems in Japan, AmEx can be difficult, Visa is widely accepted but you might pay extra to use it

On the other hand the exchange rate at the airport money exchange and almost all Japanese exchange places is excellent, there is no crazy markup like in most european/western countries. You will get almost exactly the current exchange rate.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Even better, you have a connection inside. This is not the case for most people who write/read here "such and such is waaay cheaper in Japan" with no mention of how to access that cheaper price.
there is no cheaper price to acces, the price will be marked and clear

you obviously don't know a thing about japanese culture if you think they would risk being viewed as shady, or trying to trick people
again they are honest in the extreme
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

There is no special "cheaper price". I have gone to the same rc shops by myself and have never gotten any surprises or been treated differently in any way.

Originally Posted by atomic garden
this is not true, there are no complex systems, there is no special price for foreigners. every Japanese shop and shopkeeper is honest to a fault. they will chase you 4 blocks if they notice a mistake of even a couple of JPY. Same thing if you leave tip in a restaurant they will chase you to return it.

every advertised price is exactly what you pay + a flat 10% sale tax, nothing more nothing less.
+1
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by torg
There is no special "cheaper price". I have gone to the same rc shops by myself and have never gotten any surprises or been treated differently in any way.

+1
+1
Best prices for Japan produced kits, are in Japan
Never an issue, easy to find, very friendly, honest folks to deal with, by mail, or in person
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The TRF419 motor mount kinda looks like a more modernized version of the original 417 motor mount.

I'm surprised they didn't do away with the two piece spur gear lay shaft mounts.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

I didn't say there's any shady business, it's to do with their pricing system. And I'm happy for everybody who knows where to buy cheaply in Japan. Buy some 419 kits and sell them here, you might make some money.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

I didn't say there's any shady business, it's to do with their pricing system. And I'm happy for everybody who knows where to buy cheaply in Japan. Buy some 419 kits and sell them here, you might make some money.
Last time I reply:
there is no pricing system. The price is marked on the product you will pay exactly that.

There is nothing to know, just go to the store grab the product and pay.

It's hard to believe you have ever been in Japan. And it's insulting you keep on spreading lies and misinformation even after many people here tell you you are wrong.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want cheap prices in Japan = Yahoo Japan Auction baby!

Or if you want to buy new, RC Maniax has decent prices.

How about that motor mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.