R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #346
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,892
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Get a Japanese girlfriend or mistress?
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #347
Tech Master
 
CW22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,471
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Get a Japanese girlfriend or mistress?
That's even better idea
__________________
CHRIS
Tamiya cars.
TRF, Muchmore racing.
CW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #348
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
How do I preorder from RC champ when I don't read Japanese?
You get in touch with one of their advisers who will answer your emails in english. Here:

champ_international@rc-champ.jp

I know their older advisers, so the names might not be useful now, but you will get an email in english.

Have some part numbers so you make their life (and yours) easier.

All above points work, but keep in mind Torg (and others) are talking after they've lived there for a little while. This is like saying I know my country better than you. Duh.

The situation does not compare with how easily you can find these shops in other places (like Europe or America) where you only need to be passing by and you're there. I am talking of course of the shops with the best price. Time constraints might also affect how much you can wait for a discount to happen as well.

On the other hand, i do not understand how in japan they can have side by side cheap places like Yodobashi Camera where you can pick up a lot of camera gear cheaply (and you can haggle on price as well) and next door a place where they sell R/C stuff and it's overpriced beyond imagination.

I travelled at a time where my dollar was 1.2 US$ and still got 76 Yen to my dollar on every transaction when in Australia I would get 100 or more. Don't rely on the exchange rate at home is the moral of my story.

I would expect those TRF 418 kits at about 48-50k Yen in the picture would be above 500$ after all fees and charges are added up and tax is paid. Keep in mind as well Japan has about thee different prices they can hit you with, I don't pretend I understand their system, but as a tourist you're paying the highest and I didn't understand how to claim tax back (Yodobashi is selling tax free if you show your passport).
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #349
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
As for the transactions. Japan is a cash based society, everyone walks around with 500-1000 in cash in their wallets. Old traditions die hard in this country.
The "tradition" isn't as old as you think. It relates to the crash in 1991 and the following "lost decade" (it's a term, look it up for more info)

A lot of Japanese mums and dads lost a lot of money - literally disappearing from bank accounts over night in 1991. So there is a distinct lack of trust in banks still today, so cash is king in Japan.

For such a technology savvy country, it comes as a surprise at first for most Gaijin visitors as everyone would "expect" Japan to be at plastic/electronic banking forefront.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #350
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tustin,CA,USA
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
You get in touch with one of their advisers who will answer your emails in english. Here:

champ_international@rc-champ.jp

I know their older advisers, so the names might not be useful now, but you will get an email in english.

Have some part numbers so you make their life (and yours) easier.

All above points work, but keep in mind Torg (and others) are talking after they've lived there for a little while. This is like saying I know my country better than you. Duh.
Just want to mention that I actually don't live in Japan, nor do I read or speak the language. But I have been a few times for business and have found that being into Tamiya has been a huge help in getting to know people outside of work setting. I get my stuff through colleagues, someone is always flying to and fro... I traded some rare (for Japan) Nike's for an m05v2 for instance, everybody wins

I got introduced to one of the guys that did online international ordering, very nice guy. Used to live in Irvine, California for a while which is close to where I live so we had lots to talk about.

I suggest using chrome web browser, it has built in translate. I read the bottom of rc-champ/net-car for release dates and news regularly.

All that said, I don't ever order from their website, I just send links to my friends.

so how about that motor mount?
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #351
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torg View Post
Just want to mention that I actually don't live in Japan, nor do I read or speak the language. But I have been a few times for business and have found that being into Tamiya has been a huge help in getting to know people outside of work setting. I get my stuff through colleagues, someone is always flying to and fro... I traded some rare (for Japan) Nike's for an m05v2 for instance, everybody wins

I got introduced to one of the guys that did online international ordering, very nice guy. Used to live in Irvine, California for a while which is close to where I live so we had lots to talk about.

I suggest using chrome web browser, it has built in translate. I read the bottom of rc-champ/net-car for release dates and news regularly.

All that said, I don't ever order from their website, I just send links to my friends.

so how about that motor mount?
Even better, you have a connection inside. This is not the case for most people who write/read here "such and such is waaay cheaper in Japan" with no mention of how to access that cheaper price.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #352
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW22 View Post
That's why, you need eat Sushi more.
I do every Friday. I think I teach him more English so it is time to reciprocate.
__________________
TRF 418 - Team Powers 17.5, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Xpert servo
Xray T4 2016 - Trinity D4, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Ko Propo servo and radio
KustomRCGraphics.com (Best looking novice on the track)
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #353
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I would expect those TRF 418 kits at about 48-50k Yen in the picture would be above 500$ after all fees and charges are added up and tax is paid. Keep in mind as well Japan has about thee different prices they can hit you with, I don't pretend I understand their system, but as a tourist you're paying the highest and I didn't understand how to claim tax back (Yodobashi is selling tax free if you show your passport).
this is not true, there are no complex systems, there is no special price for foreigners. every Japanese shop and shopkeeper is honest to a fault. they will chase you 4 blocks if they notice a mistake of even a couple of JPY. Same thing if you leave tip in a restaurant they will chase you to return it.

every advertised price is exactly what you pay + a flat 10% sale tax, nothing more nothing less.

the trf 418 in the picture will cost you exactly as stated + 10%, there is no conspiracy, no foreigner tax, no hidden cost.
That photo is obviously an older foto from when the 418 was current. the 419 cost 45300 at this time in Tokyo.

everyone who posts here that actualy knows tokyo confirms my story yet you keep posting about inflated prices.

I visit Tokyo 2 time a year for family reasons, i am not like you said someone who pretends to know, i actually know what i am talking about

like i said in my first post just bring cash, paypal is not a japanese company and not popular, most Japanese electronics payment systems are from japanese banks, Mastercard has a lot of problems in Japan, AmEx can be difficult, Visa is widely accepted but you might pay extra to use it

On the other hand the exchange rate at the airport money exchange and almost all Japanese exchange places is excellent, there is no crazy markup like in most european/western countries. You will get almost exactly the current exchange rate.
atomic garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #354
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Even better, you have a connection inside. This is not the case for most people who write/read here "such and such is waaay cheaper in Japan" with no mention of how to access that cheaper price.
there is no cheaper price to acces, the price will be marked and clear

you obviously don't know a thing about japanese culture if you think they would risk being viewed as shady, or trying to trick people
again they are honest in the extreme
atomic garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #355
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tustin,CA,USA
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Even better, you have a connection inside. This is not the case for most people who write/read here "such and such is waaay cheaper in Japan" with no mention of how to access that cheaper price.
There is no special "cheaper price". I have gone to the same rc shops by myself and have never gotten any surprises or been treated differently in any way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic garden View Post
this is not true, there are no complex systems, there is no special price for foreigners. every Japanese shop and shopkeeper is honest to a fault. they will chase you 4 blocks if they notice a mistake of even a couple of JPY. Same thing if you leave tip in a restaurant they will chase you to return it.

every advertised price is exactly what you pay + a flat 10% sale tax, nothing more nothing less.
+1
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #356
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,539
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by torg View Post
There is no special "cheaper price". I have gone to the same rc shops by myself and have never gotten any surprises or been treated differently in any way.




+1
+1
Best prices for Japan produced kits, are in Japan
Never an issue, easy to find, very friendly, honest folks to deal with, by mail, or in person
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #357
Tech Master
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kagoshima, Japan
Posts: 1,918
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

The TRF419 motor mount kinda looks like a more modernized version of the original 417 motor mount.

I'm surprised they didn't do away with the two piece spur gear lay shaft mounts.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #358
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

I didn't say there's any shady business, it's to do with their pricing system. And I'm happy for everybody who knows where to buy cheaply in Japan. Buy some 419 kits and sell them here, you might make some money.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #359
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I didn't say there's any shady business, it's to do with their pricing system. And I'm happy for everybody who knows where to buy cheaply in Japan. Buy some 419 kits and sell them here, you might make some money.
Last time I reply:
there is no pricing system. The price is marked on the product you will pay exactly that.

There is nothing to know, just go to the store grab the product and pay.

It's hard to believe you have ever been in Japan. And it's insulting you keep on spreading lies and misinformation even after many people here tell you you are wrong.
atomic garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #360
Tech Master
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kagoshima, Japan
Posts: 1,918
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

If you want cheap prices in Japan = Yahoo Japan Auction baby!

Or if you want to buy new, RC Maniax has decent prices.

How about that motor mount?
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
markmarshall
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:54 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0