R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #211
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshark3 View Post
The lower one is the VBC D07 prototype?
The issue I have is that I didn't really like the bracket around the back on the bd7 14, I thought it just made that part of the chassis unnecessarily stiff at that part of the chassis, and it didn't feel as nice (to me) on carpet as the BD7 13 The VB7 seems to not have that, whilst the 419 does..

At the moment I'm just keen on seeing how it goes on track, I'm trying not to get excited, but its a new chassis number so my OCD will take over at some point and I'll get it.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #212
Tech Master

Why does this all feel like companies are just playing catch with each other... Small incremental changes so that you cannot convert your old car whilst claiming to guarantee lowering your lap times.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #213
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post
By the way: I have tried to run the "black" TRF springs on carpet. They were really nice to drive. Carpet was ETS Carpet (Nurburgring Track). So I hope, that there will be no need anymore for me to drive the progressive 53440-style springs anymore.
I switched to them too and they feel pretty good on my 418 with aluminum Samix chassis.

As for the stiffer rear end with 2014 motor mount, I think that's aimed more towards asphalt than carpet. I also felt the BD7 2013 was smoother than the 2014 indoors. The worlds is asphalt so we know the direction that the major contenders should take.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #214
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
The issue I have is that I didn't really like the bracket around the back on the bd7 14, I thought it just made that part of the chassis unnecessarily stiff at that part of the chassis, and it didn't feel as nice (to me) on carpet as the BD7 13 The VB7 seems to not have that, whilst the 419 does..

At the moment I'm just keen on seeing how it goes on track, I'm trying not to get excited, but its a new chassis number so my OCD will take over at some point and I'll get it.
you are absolutely right, I have struggled most of the year with it and that is on low to medium grip asphalt tracks. I finally realised that this was the issue, managed to fix it in the end, if you want to know what I did just PM me
Old 09-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #215
Tech Regular

Post it up ��
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #216
Bar
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants View Post
Post it up ��
Didn't want to hijack the Tamiya 419 thread, happy to share if you PM me
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #217
Tech Elite

You can use one of their older plastic brackets that doesn't cross from one bulkhead to the other, or just get some Tamiya holders.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #218
Tech Elite

So now that Yokomo have shown the BD7-2015 we know what Tamiya overlooked...

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the 419. I understand why they have gone for the spine-style motor mount (because Yokomo have!), but it looks very stiff and even though there is an option to mount it with the middle screws the mount still presses down on the chassis at the sides.

But most disappointing is the totally unnecessary switch to angled suspension blocks, renders pitbox parts useless and there is nothing wrong with the standard blocks.

So all in all a more obvious Yokomo copy than the 418, last years car was the catch-up version, the 419 should really have been the move-ahead version but sadly it is still a step behind. And there still isn't a decent Lipo mount or anti-roll bar mount. But at least Tamiya will include the DCJs and the floating servo mount.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #219
Tech Regular

Perhaps there is some benefit to the chassis flex characteristics by using the angled toe blocks. Or maybe they did it because Yokomo has them.
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #220
Tech Elite

One upshot I found was that now Yokomo and Tamiya one piece suspension blocks are totally interchangeable. Yokomo's move was maybe unintentional but I have an entire collection of Tamiya mounts I can use on my BD7 and no reason to buy new ones for the 418.

I am sure many other people are in the same boat.

This also means that ultimately one can carry over the entire suspension from one car to the other if they wanted which opens an entire new realm of possibilities especially in part supply challenged parts of the world like mine.

As for the motor mount I too feel Tamiya has left us wanting. The Samix conversion seemed the natural path to go, but perhaps Tamiya still wants to pick some more money on upgrades (or hand over to third parties).

Personally I will probably invest in another Yokomo mount for the 418.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #221
Tech Adept

Yokomo, Tamiya and VBC one piece suspension blocks are totally interchangeable
blackshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #222
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
So now that Yokomo have shown the BD7-2015 we know what Tamiya overlooked...

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the 419. I understand why they have gone for the spine-style motor mount (because Yokomo have!), but it looks very stiff and even though there is an option to mount it with the middle screws the mount still presses down on the chassis at the sides.

But most disappointing is the totally unnecessary switch to angled suspension blocks, renders pitbox parts useless and there is nothing wrong with the standard blocks.

So all in all a more obvious Yokomo copy than the 418, last years car was the catch-up version, the 419 should really have been the move-ahead version but sadly it is still a step behind. And there still isn't a decent Lipo mount or anti-roll bar mount. But at least Tamiya will include the DCJs and the floating servo mount.
The only reason I can think of to have the angled blocks is ti make the chassis narrow at certain points, where the side by side screws needed it to be wider.

The new BD7 looks fantastic, the fact you can move the whole motor mount forward if you want to is great.

I suppose I will see how it goes at the worlds, but the BD7 has taken some bigger advances than most of the other cars announced, and they have been on a roll.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #223
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

The way I see it is that it makes the chassis softer than the standard 'straight' blocks, for both separate and 1-piece blocks. The angled blocks have narrower mounting points, and is probably particularly aimed for asphalt use.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
So now that Yokomo have shown the BD7-2015 we know what Tamiya overlooked....
What do you think they have overlooked? I mean, what has appeared on the 15 that you think they have not done themselves (cough, copied)

The sway bar mounts are not there, but they have been on huge yokomo for ages, so if they wanted to copy them they would have - I expect that have a reason (no idea what it is....)
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #225
Tech Regular

Hello Folks,
I was wondering why are touring cars still running full size lipo packs and not shorties?
Sponsored by Serpent / SRX2 MM, RM, SC / Serpent SRX4
MoFo paints
energyracing is offline   Reply With Quote