Search
Like Tree42Likes

Touring Car Tires for Asphalt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Nice looking track but how the heck do you get back there. Park up near the road and hike in?
Nah the entrance is just across from the wireless place (at least I think never been there myself )
Old 07-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have cleaned tires with Goo Gone. It does take off the crud, but I wonder whether the oils in the tires is being compromised.

My tracks use Team Powers 36r. They work well, but the rims are a bit fragile.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've always used wurth brake cleaner as that's what my lhs sold.

Some say to not use brake cleaner. All I know is with my tyres they're always sticky after having a good clean with it (4 race days)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

@ Full Throttle Raceway in Kissimmee I ran Solaris tires and they were money. Little SXT 3.0 and dialed. Track was high grip.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In Japan most of the guys who race on asphalt use

For high traction setup.

Inserts - Yokomo ZR-039M or Kawada TUB31M BAKUSO
Wheels - Panaracer Type B or Yokomo TW-2512-2 dish wheels (super cheap)
Tires - Sorex 36 or 40 (lower grip use 30 or 32)
Additive - Mighty Gripper Yellow
Tire warmers
eR1c likes this.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 07-22-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Let's revive this old thread!

2020... anyone has experience with Matrix Rubber Tires mainly 36 shore (EPA-036)?
Old 02-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

Originally Posted by jmarinheiro

2020... anyone has experience with Matrix Rubber Tires mainly 36 shore (EPA-036)?

Got back into parking lot onroad today after a long time off. Very low grip track with minimal spray and 70F temp. Cloud cover kept the asphalt from getting hot. I was going back and forth between sorex 32 and solaris 36. Both were pretty good on my 17.5 TC. I think Sorex 28 would have done even better.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi,

Any opinions in the new asphalt tires from Volante (V8??), Sweep (New EPX) or Rush ??, how they compare with the classic Sorex??. There seems to be a shortage of rubber in the industry; does anyone knows the status of rubber procurement?

Old 01-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jmarinheiro

used them they are ok push a little maybe better in warmer country’s then Uk wear is good I used the matrix 32 I am quicker on them at racing and use pink insert if want them to last longer or blue if looking for ftd or pb I rate them over volante sweep or rush but sweep or rush are good alternatives
Old 01-03-2021, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Our club down in Fl is having tire issues as well. Currently the GQ tires are what we are using in the 36 shore . I find they work ok in warmer weather. Cooler is tough. You really have to be on point with your setup to get good performance.
Rubber Issue????
Old 01-05-2021, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jandrestbb
Hi,

Any opinions in the new asphalt tires from Volante (V8??), Sweep (New EPX) or Rush ??, how they compare with the classic Sorex??. There seems to be a shortage of rubber in the industry; does anyone knows the status of rubber procurement?
Rush are grippy sweep ok, honestly the V8 Volante have super good grip but they are worn through after 2 or 3 races, bad
Old 01-26-2021, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Any updates on the tire front for outdoor asphalt? hard to find 36 rubber tires. what is the closest to the sorex 36 performance wise? Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

At my local track and many of the tracks in the area, most people Team Powers tires (Central and Northern CA). The grip is comparable, but they last forever. My buddy and I went a full race weekend on 1 set up 34SU each (albeit on a cold day but it was over 10 runs on 1 set of tires). The Volante V8s are super (most) grippy, but only last like 1 or 2 runs. After writing this I see Lesdi said the same thing about the Volantes.

In terms of grip
Volante>Team Powers>Solaris (I haven't tried sweep or rush yet. I heard from someone that the rush were ok, but not great)
In terms of longevity
Team powers>solaris>volante

Here is some random facebook post from europe I saw comparing the team powers 36 and volante 36 in terms of wear (it doesn't list lap times so I'm not sure about that)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jandrestbb
Hi,

Volante V7 were good, the V8 are rubbish by comparison and I've worn through to the insert after 2-3 runs. Volante are bringing back the V7 soon, now that a key ingredient is available again (thanks COVID). The Sweep tyres are good but I have to reglue them each run as the sidewall rips easily. I tried getting 2 runs between regluing, and the sidewall ripped off entirely, throwing the insert out of the wheel. This was on low-medium grip asphalt, I can only imagine what a high grip track would do to them. I haven't tried the current batch of Rush, but their tyres were the go-to option a couple of years ago. The Volante V7 supplanted them.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Volante V7 were good, the V8 are rubbish by comparison and I've worn through to the insert after 2-3 runs. Volante are bringing back the V7 soon, now that a key ingredient is available again (thanks COVID). The Sweep tyres are good but I have to reglue them each run as the sidewall rips easily. I tried getting 2 runs between regluing, and the sidewall ripped off entirely, throwing the insert out of the wheel. This was on low-medium grip asphalt, I can only imagine what a high grip track would do to them. I haven't tried the current batch of Rush, but their tyres were the go-to option a couple of years ago. The Volante V7 supplanted them.
In my oppinion this V8 joke was just a attempt to sell more tires and bring the market for used tires to a halt. Nobody would buy a tire which is a few runs old and will last one maybe two more runs. Now the shortage of the "key ingrident" is surprisingly over and the V7 will come back? Didn´t the state at the beginning of the V8 era that this ingredient will never become available again? If the would stay with the V8, nodoby would attend the races anyloanger where this tire is mandatory. Just no longer payable for non sponsored drivers!

Let´s see what the future brings but hopefully something longer lasting than the V8...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.