Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Deans Fake compared to fake?? and or they better? >

Deans Fake compared to fake?? and or they better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deans Fake compared to fake?? and or they better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I've only plugged in backwards probably 2-3 times, and every time it was due to trying to use batteries that had the opposite plug orientation to what I was used to, and I was distracted just at the moment I was plugging in the batteries. I've also loaned a battery to someone else and watched as they immediately plugged the wires in backwards.

-Mike
Yeah the same has happened to me, and of course the couple of times I did this I was using LRP esc's . Wouldn't have been so bad if they were HW Justocks are something along those lines, instead I burn up the more expensive stuff. I've seen guys in a hurry plug their wires in incorrectly a number of times.... and out comes the magic smoke. I like how clean the wiring is with bullet plugs but for me, Deans have been the most fool-proof method.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Raise your hand if you use bullet plugs and can honestly say that you have never connected the wires backwards.

<puts hands firmly in pockets>

-Mike
I never have.

Make one of the leads to short to reach the wrong side of the battery, if it can't reach the port you can't plug it in.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

IMO battery makers should make one inboard port round and the other square with connectors to match. Still use bullets with less chance to plug them in wrong.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The "one wire short, one wire long" method works very well until you come across a battery pack that has the polarity reversed from what you are accustomed to. Then you either plug them in backwards or if you are lucky, find out you have to rewire your speed control. I suppose you could just always stick the the same brand of battery, but over time that is unlikely.

I've used a set of "fake" Deans XT connectors that actually work fairly well. Don't know how their efficiency stands up next to the real thing, but connectors are made of Nylon which is less prone to melting if you get the metal part too hot while soldering. They also have ribs that make them easier to grab. Only problem I've run into is the extra metal clip designed to keep tension on the blades broke off after it wore from use and got caught on the plastic while trying to plug it in.

EDIT: here's a link to the ones I've used. I didn't get them from HK, but this looks exactly like them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...irs_20pc_.html

Last edited by beemerfan; 08-14-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Though SMC have tested 5mm connectors and they were always slightly higher resistance.
New SMC lipos come with 5mm bullets. I wasn't aware of a SMC 5mm to deans comparison but my tests 5mm bullets were the same as deans.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by frozenpod
New SMC lipos come with 5mm bullets. I wasn't aware of a SMC 5mm to deans comparison but my tests 5mm bullets were the same as deans.
It was on their Facebook page from a while back.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Recently I've been using fake Deans off Ebay, and they work just fine. The springs of the plugs are tight, the plastic is sturdy, they are easy to solder...
The ones I'm referring to are a wine-ish color, pretty ugly (but dyeable, probably). I've used Orion's "fluoro" Deans in the past and the Ebay ones are just as good from what I can tell.

What I don't know is if they add resistance, but TBH I'm more worried about the resistance I might add with my lame solder joints, hehe. That said I'd be curious to know about this resistance thing. Could anyone with the knowledge and tooling compare fake Deans vs. real Deans ?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by locked
Never and all of my cars use bullet connectors. You just have to glance at it for half a second before plugging it in. I don't understand how so many people make this mistake. It takes no effort to get it right and you know if you do it wrong, you'll most likely have to replace your ESC and your race day will probably be over, so why would you not pay attention while doing this? It's not hard. You just have to open your eyes.
If someone is rushing to get their car out to a qualifier or final, it happens and will continue to happen out there.