• 1 Post By _jason86
  • 1 Post By _jason86
  • 1 Post By _jason86

traxxas 4 tec 2.0 rally build

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 08:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Post traxxas 4 tec 2.0 rally build

alright so im making a rally car out of a 4tec 2.0, but i need a bit of help. i was looking at the yeah racing 60mm shocks, and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with the shock oil i should use 😅. also if anyone could tell me what diff oils would be good options i would appreciate it 👀
-jason
garnt likes this.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For shock oil, 400 cst is probably a good starting point and adjust from there. As far as Dif Fluid, that is a bit harder. I would probably start out with 15k front and 10k rear, but I am not a rally driver, I am taking that from a 4wd buggy setup. You may want to go a bit lighter on both for a rally car, I'm not sure.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

I'm curious how your project works out. If I bought a 4-Tec 2.0 I would absolutely rally with it. Yeah Racing shocks usually come with three different spring strengths and two to three different holed pistons so you can experiment with what works best for you and your vehicle. Similarly you should get a few different shock and diff oil weights so you can find the best one.
What body are you going to use? Post a picture when you get it done.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What rally tires are out there now? Are there any good ones? I haven’t had a rally car since the early 2000’s. I am thinking of building a rally car but pin tires wear to quickly when you hit the pavement.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Tamiya Rally Blocks don't look super realistic, but they're super fun and work decent enough and are a lot of fun on pavement.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

On dirt I've found these cheap tires work really well. I wouldn't use the rims though. It says they don't come glued so you can use them on another rim.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38209979692...UAAOSwEjFXe2MM
Some of the other Chinese rally tires are a larger diameter than normal and may not look right on your car. The Rally Block knockoffs are larger than the original Tamiya Rally Block tires.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
I'm curious how your project works out. If I bought a 4-Tec 2.0 I would absolutely rally with it. Yeah Racing shocks usually come with three different spring strengths and two to three different holed pistons so you can experiment with what works best for you and your vehicle. Similarly you should get a few different shock and diff oil weights so you can find the best one.
What body are you going to use? Post a picture when you get it done.
ahh sorry for replying so late but i didnt see the notifs. anyway ill be running an evo iii body. ill be sure to post it when it gets here and when i paint it
Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 0010
For shock oil, 400 cst is probably a good starting point and adjust from there. As far as Dif Fluid, that is a bit harder. I would probably start out with 15k front and 10k rear, but I am not a rally driver, I am taking that from a 4wd buggy setup. You may want to go a bit lighter on both for a rally car, I'm not sure.
alright thanks! ill be sure to look at some of these
Old 04-30-2021, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

i stripped the spur gear again (this is the second spur gear ive stripped lol) im pretty sure its my fault but my lhs didnt have one so i had to order it. im waiting on the new one that i ordered it last saturday from amain and it should be here today. the body is supposed to get here on tuesday.
should i get a metal spur or is there a reason they are plastic?
also i cant post pics yet
-jason
Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

if you're running in dirt and you can't get the gears sealed up good then you might want to use steel gears. My LC Racing cars always get dirt in the spur which leads to stripping so I changed to steel gears and don't have a problem anymore.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:26 AM
Tech Rookie

well i do run in dirt... maybe i should just get a metal one cause at this rate i would probably spend more on replacements in the long run than just getting a metal one.
Backyard RC likes this.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Old 05-04-2021, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

the body got here yesterday but i wasnt expecting it so i dont have any paint. i might paint it white and use the stickers or i could paint it a different color. im not sure yet but im going to go to my lhs today
Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

the body is masked and ready to paint, but the thing didnt come with headlight or tail light masks even though it has light buckets. i used the stickers as masks which is probably not a great idea but i wasnt going to use them anyway cuz they are not see through. if you look under the foam bumper you can see a white thing under it. i cut it out from a sheet of plastic that was left over from a school project. i use it to protect the body when i go up curbs. it works pretty well but im going to have to make a bigger one as this body is quite big. i might have enough of the plastic stuff left over to make a bigger...

im also getting paint today... hopefully
garnt likes this.