R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sweet writeup! I haven't forgot about your shock parts, just haven't got around to dropping them off at the post office yet.
mountainman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks man. Take your time with the parts, I still haven't even gotten around to tearing them down ;-)

I have however test fitted my new runner body I picked up a few weeks ago. It is a 300mm wheelbase Toyota GT-1. It is supposed to be one of the best handling bodies made for the chassis. Hopefully that's true because I'd sure like to get the back end better planted on the ground.

At least it's going to look alright 8-)

MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Nice! Thanks man. There may not be any updates for a bit. I'm planning doing a few more things like rebuilding and mounting the new shocks but I'm probably not going to get anymore run time until spring rolls around.

Maybe when I start building my 2nd Super EP I'll post the process in this thread too... It'll give you all something to read ;-)
Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Sweet build and a great job I love it. I have had mine for years but I took it apart and now I cant find all the parts LOL.

Selling HPI F10 Front Knuckles and Complete Rear Axles W/Diffs Ball and Gear.
W/12mm TC Hubs & W/14mm F1 Hubs Good for std bearing Pans cars. STD Bearings!
eBay item number: 200947192161,200947193175,200947187493
Marty Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That Toyota body will halp the whole car stay better planted at speed, but if your looking for better all around rear traction, try moving your shocks out one hole on the tower. It'll soften up the rear just a bit and give the tires better bite. Also back in my Pro 2 days I was always using sway bars on my car. Not always both and sometimes it'd be at the front and other times it'd be at the rear. Just another thing to try if you'd like. Beautiful build by te way, always wanted to get my hands on a real Super RS4, I've setteled on doing a brushless conversion on a SNR RS4.
Flipside6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Peterson View Post
Sweet build and a great job I love it. I have had mine for years but I took it apart and now I cant find all the parts LOL.
Nice! If you decide to dig up the parts you have shoot me a message. I'm always looking for spare parts for the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipside6900 View Post
That Toyota body will halp the whole car stay better planted at speed, but if your looking for better all around rear traction, try moving your shocks out one hole on the tower. It'll soften up the rear just a bit and give the tires better bite. Also back in my Pro 2 days I was always using sway bars on my car. Not always both and sometimes it'd be at the front and other times it'd be at the rear. Just another thing to try if you'd like. Beautiful build by te way, always wanted to get my hands on a real Super RS4, I've setteled on doing a brushless conversion on a SNR RS4.
Thanks for the tips! I've done a few things that helped out a bit. The biggest thing was tightening up the rear diff. I used the softest "diff adjustment" spring and it helped out a bunch.

My issue is the chassis handles way better without the body on. The difference is like night and day. I tried lowering the mounting points and dropped the lancer body down as close to the ground as I could get it and it did help a bit so I'm hoping the Toyota body takes it a step further.

I'm looking forward to turning the chassis next spring. With the cold weather up here in NH there is no place I can run that will allow the tires to get remotely warm at all. lol.

BTW there is a CF chassis set floating around eBay and the RCCarAction forums if you want to build one. You can easily do it with Pro 2 and Super Nitro parts. I can put a list together if you're interested.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #22
Tech Regular

So I ended up building a diffuser for the Super EP runner last night. It is a bit rough at the moment but I plan on redoing the mount with some thin aluminum when I get some to work with.

I built it in hopes that it will help keep the rear planted a bit better. It may not help at all because the car doesn't have cowling or an inclosed underside but I figured why not.

So I got the part from a Vaterra V100-C and I basically cut the outer extensions off of it to fit around the rear tires and mounted it to a piece of thick flashing/sheet metal. Once I get the aluminum in I'll make a nicer looking mount for it ;-)

Kind of hard to see, sorry!

The end of the fins are pretty much flush with the bottom of the chassis and they don't rub or scrape even when the suspension is fully compressed. Hopefully I did good!

And I also finally finished mounting up the Toyota body! I cut the body holes and tried to mount it only to see the spur gear was hitting the body in the rear. After further inspection I notice the outline for the cutout that gives the spur some breathing room. After a little hackery and then some touch up with the Dremel and a small sanding drum I got it looking pretty OK.

I think the white of the body makes the darker spur kind of hard to see... It is there and the top of it peaks about 1/4" outside the body.

I can't wait to get this beastie back on the road! The only things I still need to do to get it back into good shape is replace the diff cups (the HPI HD cups are a joke!) and replace the rear belt. Hopefully I'll get that stuff done over holiday break!

Rock on dudes and dudettes!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
Tech Elite

having had and raced the Super Nitro years ago, this is one class that i wished had flourished more across the manufaturers.. so much potential for a great racing class.. i too wanted a Super E but didnt because of the lack of interest with people in my area..

if i could find one for sale i would probably jump all over it.

nice write up and thanks for taking us down memory lane...
Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Awesome man! I definitely agree with you there. I know Tamiya and Kyosho also got into the super sized 10th scales, I wonder if maybe it was the price of the kits? I've seen some of the old racing videos like the HPI Challenge and everything and it looked like a tun of fun!

At any rate there are groups of people out there that still run them, unfortunately they all live all over the place lol.

If you really want to pick up a Super E check out the Super Nitro RS4 thread on the rccaraction forums! Most of the time the guys list the chassis on there before sending them off to eBay or where ever.

Another place to check is eBay.de, I picked up my 2nd Super E chassis off there for a pretty cheap price. There is one listed every few weeks or so. Just make sure you message the seller in German to ask if they will ship to the states.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice, that Toyota body looks fantastic! I love scale looking builds, esp GT and LMP cars!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Nice, that Toyota body looks fantastic! I love scale looking builds, esp GT and LMP cars!
Thanks man! Yeah at first I wasn't super keen on the GT body but after having it on for a few days I fell in love with it! I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my 300mm wheelbase Subaru WRX body and getting another Toyota GT1 for the shelf car build. I think they are just amazing to look at.

So here's a couple more pictures of the chassis. I got the ride height set proper finally and I felt like taking some pictures of it. Note the battery hold downs are temporary ;-) I've actually decided to run one of my new CF chassis on this build. I'll probably swap it over when I rebuild the diffs. It has more options for battery mounting so it will be quite the improvement!

Here is a shot of the diffuser mount, yes it is ugly as sin! lol I keep forgetting to grab aluminum from the hardware store so I can fab up a proper mount for it.

I can't wait to test out the new batteries! I picked up a set 3 cell of 5000mah 45c Turnigy Nano techs! They actually fit under the top deck with room to spare. The previous battery (Sky Lipo 3 cell) had to basically be squeezed in there.

It has about 2mm of clearance. This also means I can move the battery to a more forward position. Of course I can only do that if the new body helps with the rear traction.

The new lowered front shock tower that you must use to clear the HPI GT1 bodies-

My cat, always trying to get into stuff-

The body and chassis have about 7mm of ground clearance. I could drop it down but I don't drive on prepped surfaces so the extra height is fine with me.

And the opening in the body for the spur gear. The body originally didn't quite fit unless it was jacked up in the air. Upon closer inspection I noticed there was a faint outline in the lexan that you were supposed to cut out for the electric model. I cut it out and smoothed the edges with a small sanding drum on my dremel and here it is-

The spur is only close to the right because of the RRP spur gear hub I'm running on the car. It mounts the spur close to the motor plate to make it less likely to flex the pulley shaft. It works awesome-

Come on spring!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #27
Tech Regular

I got around to making the new mount for the splitter this evening after the kids went to be and santa was done all his duties ;-)

Here it is, basically a 1"x1" piece of aluminum angle bar.

It fits up on the chassis really well. It is snug and level with the bottom of the chassis, it fits better than the sheet metal did.

I can't wait to get it back on the road!

Old 12-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Now that's cool!
mountainman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Thanks man! Spring is coming! I can't wait to get the new setup on the road to test it out.

Before my first run I plan on installing the new chassis I picked up, the alloy bodies shocks and maybe a different spring combination.

I may also keep the stock springs on to see how it handles though.

I just wan't the darned snow to melt!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
A little update for anyone interested!

I decided to instal some shock spring adjusting nuts on the runner EP this weekend. They weren't easy to track down but I eventually found a set on eBay for a pretty decent price. These replace the plastic preload clips with a nice aluminium threaded collar.

I tried slipping the adjustable collars on at this point but they would not fit over the shock end cap (the part that hold in the seals). So I had to remove the endlinks so they caps could come off.

Mike

hello Mike ı saw your post about wr8, ı wr8 user to, ı want to ask some questıons to you, can you message me?
omer93 is offline   Reply With Quote