R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #16
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kid TT-01
so it woudnt make much difference to the power of a 3300 if i was to use it in 540 races

Your 3300s won't make such a big difference in run time.
By the way,the voltage ratings a little too high.Usually,if you look at those small fans for RC application,usually,we use a 5Volt fan.But I guess a 12 V one won't really matter.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:12 AM   #17
Tech Adept

That 12V fan will barely toss a breeze in comparison to a fan of the same size at 5V. A 12V fan will use less power by comparison too. A good place to get a decent size 5V fan is in the package of a foam shaped car stand Trinity sells for 15$ USD, and its sold with or without the stand, so be careful what you get. I bought he TC3 stand and used that fan in my car, and i actually use the foam stand too, it isnt all that, but it does the job. The fan is 4cmX4cmX1cm and is rated at 5V. It throws hurricane force winds (30degrees+/- less easily) at the motor, and doesnt slow down when placed close to the magnets. I first used it plugged into my receiver, but i got better results from adding a separate wiring harness to the speedo wires. It had its own switch at the time, a replacement switch from a novak speedo, and was attached directly to the leads that attach to the battery, receiving straight battery voltage. There was no dead short. If the fan werent present in the circuit, then there would have been a short, but the fan uses the power from the battery, so no short. I then made small 5 cell receiver packs out of 250Mah loose receiver cells (used shunts off of brushes for battery "bars"), to remove the fan from the loop entirely. That fan would dump that receiver pack in the time of a heat, which required a charger for my fan batteries, and one for my car battery. I didnt like tying up a charger like that so i ditched that idea. The third channel idea (not the battery slot) was the best, it can come on when you turn on your receiver, or you can turn it off from your transmitter as you wait on the driver stand, then turn it on again before the race is started. I have since ditched the fan, and no longer run one, but miss the benefits it gave me.

- DaveW
Attached Thumbnails
How to make fans on a switch...-tc3-4.jpg  
xDeeDubYax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:38 AM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

ok thanx for the advice guys, see i didnt buy this fan, me and a mate got them from broken computers.
Alex Ilievski
A Ilievski is offline   Reply With Quote