Search
Like Tree2Likes

MikeGozz's HPI RS4 Mini Pro Electric

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ViperZ
That is amazing how real that RS4 sounded on the drive bys and tire squealing!

Yes, I all too familiar with chubby boxy look of the 330mm WB 1/8 Road cars... I currently have 3 of them

What you say about the 225mm minis scale realism make sense. It would be strange if the 2002 Bimmer was a 260mm WB, it would be much larger than the E92 and E46 bodies from HPI....

I seen how Bill mad ethe 220mm fit the 240Z. In static images it does look slightly off at the rear. Not a deal breaker by any means, but still.. I will wait until the 2002 shows up and see how a 220mm may fit.

All these mini chassis take regular 12mm hex drive wheels like those for most TC cars, yes?
It is so cool driving the car. I just tweaked a couple of things and I'm looking forward to taking it out tomorrow. I'll see if I can get some more videos.

Ahh yeah so you know what is going on with the 1:8 cars then. ;-) cool. I always wanted to get one myself but I just couldn't get past the odd look of them. I know they make some bodies that look ok but I always just thought the Super looks so much more realistic.

And yeah all of the Mini's take a regular 12mm hex except the cup racer... it has an odd sort of wheel that you actually attach with a screw (the hex looks similar to a castle nut). HPI designed the wheels so they could also use regular hexes on other mini chassis though which was nice of them ;-) I still don't know why they tried to reinvent the wheel with that one.

FWIW the 220mm does look a bit off center but you also might be able to cut out the wheel well at 220mm or 222.5mm to make it look a bit less noticeable. It looks like the rear fender well on the 2002 has a lot of room to work with so you might be able to get away with it.

Let me know how it comes out and what you decide on when you finally make a choice.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looking forward to more videos!!

Yes, I struggled with the 330mm GT2 for a bit. I was so wanting a kyosho inferno for the scale looks, and actually detested the 330's. Yet here I am today further from that 360mm Inferno than ever

I think that what I've been on this 1/10 kick of late as the body selections are so much better that the 330mm 1/8ths and so much more scale.

Thanks for the check on the 2002 fitment to the 220mm. For sure, with your help I'm sure something will get sorted out, even if it takes a year or so like your 510, patience is a virtue...
Old 07-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Mike, I was looking around at some chassis for the 2002, what about a Tamiya M06? It has an adjustable wheel base of 210mm, 225mm, and 239mm.

Almost sounds too good to be true. I could get it in the Alfa Romeo Giulia, and get another body out of it. I'm not a big fan of the layout, but shouldn't get hung up on it. I'm not looking to race it, rather just build it for a shelf queen and tool around with it from time to time.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

The M06 is RWD correct? That might be a handful! lol

While driving my Mini even with 4wd it took some getting used to. I have to dial it in a bit still but the steering is just insanely quick (It could also be my servo).

I mean 2WD might be pretty fun but it might also be overwhelming. Have you looked at the M05?

The Alfa body is pretty sweet though ;-) That I wouldn't mind owning.

I took the Mini out for a quick run the other day. The handling on it is really snappy and fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC3U0rdhBUQ

I also had the Super out there too. It is just silly fast :-) I think I might gear it down a bit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ZslH30zrE

Mike
Old 08-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Yes. the M06 is RWD, however I thought because I wouldn't drive it much it might be okay... I use to drive 1/12 modified 2WD pan chassis cars out in parking lots back in the day, so how bad could it be? I suppose compared to todays cars, bad, but hey, keeps it interesting , right? The M05 is a FWD chassis, as such I didn't consider it, unless I wanted to build a Honda Civic or something

I 'm still leaning towards the Nada and Atomic kit for the 2002 body, however need to get a hands on look to determine how the fit maybe.

Nice videos! I like the power slide at the end for the 510, and that RS4 moves out really well!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Silly purchase declaration time 8-) I saw a Trinity alloy motor mount for the RS4 on eBay and I had to pick it up. It replaces the plastic part that mounts the front most part of the motor mount to the chassis.

Will be installed this winter!

I don't really have a close up of the stock part it is replacing but in your minds eye imagine there is a little plastic piece right behind the purple stand off in the right side of the picture below 8-)

The packaging, a little retro Trinity packaging for you all-

And a close up of the part itself-

It looks pretty cool. I'll try to get some good shots of the installation when I put it in.

I'm also going to building a new (never run) Mini RS4 Electric chassis over the winter too. This one will be a shelf car similar to my other Super RS4 chassis I'm planning on rebuilding/rehabbing. I have a new in package HPI 7205 Mini RS4 Mazda MX-5 Miata that will be going on it.

Looks like so-

I can't wait to put it together, It should be a neat build!

Mike
Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
I'm also going to building a new (never run) Mini RS4 Electric chassis over the winter too. This one will be a shelf car similar to my other Super RS4 chassis I'm planning on rebuilding/rehabbing. I have a new in package HPI 7205 Mini RS4 Mazda MX-5 Miata that will be going on it.

Looks like so-

I can't wait to put it together, It should be a neat build!

Mike
That's very cool, I daily drive an MX5 gen 2 and was lusting after that body! I read you can get them pretty easily now from the UK I've yet to do a scale-of-what-I-drive build, but there's a first time for everything! (almost did that for my wife's Lancer... I was going to get an FF03 and de-wing an Evo )

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Hey Mike, I was looking around at some chassis for the 2002, what about a Tamiya M06? It has an adjustable wheel base of 210mm, 225mm, and 239mm.
I keep thinking I should get a Tamiya TA05 M-Four and just take the front dogbones out for a proper scale front-engine RWD setup! (i'm sure the handling would be beyond ridiculous).

Also if you're looking for a basher 2002 body in excellent shape, I got one with my Cup Racer and decided the Cup will only ever run the Lancia Stratos body. Will sell cheap, just PM me.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

dubpost

Last edited by firefoxussr; 12-16-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: dubpost
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Haha nice! Yeah I've been looking for the ABC Hobby Subaru Legacy Wagon to match my daily driver ;-) It is a regular 1:10 scale body and it would be going on my RS4 Pro if I ever get my hands on one.

I didn't know you could pick the Mini Mazda MX-5 Miata in the UK. I got this one from eBay for $29 shipped so I can't really complain. I think teambluegroove makes a few Mini bodies but their lack of stickers and masks makes me sad.

Last edited by MikeGozz; 12-17-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile HPI RS4 Mini Pro

WOW, where did you find that '510 body? It looks great! Always wanted one. I had a nice hpi rs4 mini pro that I had a classic mini body on. I let my grandkids play with it had an accident. The right front suspension is broken. Since I haven't been able to find any parts I am going to sell it. I'm new here so have to make a couple of posts before I can attach pics.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeprez51
WOW, where did you find that '510 body? It looks great! Always wanted one. I had a nice hpi rs4 mini pro that I had a classic mini body on. I let my grandkids play with it had an accident. The right front suspension is broken. Since I haven't been able to find any parts I am going to sell it. I'm new here so have to make a couple of posts before I can attach pics.
It was a standard body for the HPI Cup racer.
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/100597
MikeGozz likes this.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mikeprez51
Yup, cup racer as stated above. The parts are hard to come by now, mostly need to buy whole cars for spares. Send me a PM with the details, I'm interested.