Search

How to modify motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default How to modify motor?

Hi,
Well I guess I've waited long enough to ask this question and I know a lot of guys don't want to share information. Anyway, how do you guys modify your motor to make it go faster? I know some at my local track do something that they don't share. We run different brand's cars but at same FDR, similar spec motor and tires, they pass me like I am at half throttle on the straight away.. How is that possible? I understand their driving skill might be better a bit than mine but that speed on the straight away is just unexplainable. (I take care of my cars and they are well set up, no binding. And I just got a new car)
I asked about iCharger on the other post but is it charger, modified motor, cheating on ESC or what?? A few say LRP 180W ESC is a killer. I use Tekin RS Gen 2 and Speed passion Reventon Pro and 100c batteries.
The speed difference is bad enough to discourage a lot of guys at the track. When asked, some say Teflon grease on bearing, thicker motor wire,etc.. but I know all those are bulls*. There is no way in the hell that those make such a dramatic speed difference. Or is there? LOL
Those who don't share obviously wouldn't say anything here but those who are willing to share, advise me. Thanks,
Old 07-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Hi,
Well I guess I've waited long enough to ask this question and I know a lot of guys don't want to share information. Anyway, how do you guys modify your motor to make it go faster? I know some at my local track do something that they don't share. We run different brand's cars but at same FDR, similar spec motor and tires, they pass me like I am at half throttle on the straight away.. How is that possible? I understand their driving skill might be better a bit than mine but that speed on the straight away is just unexplainable.
I asked about iCharger on the other post but is it charger, modified motor, cheating on ESC or what??
The speed difference is bad enough to discourage a lot of guys at the track. When asked, some say Teflon grease on bearing, thicker motor wire,etc.. but I know all those are bulls*. There is no way in the hell that those make such a dramatic speed difference. Or is there? LOL
Those who don't share obviously wouldn't say anything here but those who are willing to share, advise me. Thanks,
don't be afraid of motor heat and think of a motor as a easily replaceable part push the limits so you know actual performance of the motor.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by goots
don't be afraid of motor heat and think of a motor as a easily replaceable part push the limits so you know actual performance of the motor.
Hey trust me I'm not afraid of 180F heat on the motor. I run nitro cars.. It's just 180F heat destroys the motor. Simple as that.
Anyway, what are you saying?? Are you suggesting to lower FDR? But they run same FDR as mine..
Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Hey trust me I'm not afraid of 180F heat on the motor. I run nitro cars.. It's just 180F heat destroys the motor. Simple as that.
Anyway, what are you saying?? Are you suggesting to lower FDR? But they run same FDR as mine..
180! ive pushed past the 200 limits to blow motors. rotor choice, timing, shimming, and gearing play a role. Also cherry picking motor parts
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

180! ive pushed past the 200 limits to blow motors. rotor choice, timing, shimming, and gearing play a role. Also cherry picking motor parts
To simplify my original question, how does the more/less shims at the bell affect the performance?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Motor boost/Turbo? Recently found the boost setting on one of my ESCs and revs ramp like crazy when boost RPM is hit.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

well to the OP. what motor are you running? and is this a spec motor youre club is running?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Motor boost/Turbo? Recently found the boost setting on one of my ESCs and revs ramp like crazy when boost RPM is hit.
My friend, everybody knows that LOL. I'm talking about stock setting. "Blinky" mode. If your ESC doesn't blink when turned on, that means your boost is on, which is illegal unless you run modified(means boost).
Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

well to the OP. what motor are you running? and is this a spec motor youre club is running?
Except a few motors, basically no motor limit. Stock 13.5, 17.5 alike. I'm running HT/HT Maxzilla kill shot in 17.5 and Shuur speed in 13.5 w/o any modification on the motor. I was mainly talking about 13.5 but 17.5 is no different.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Except a few motors, basically no motor limit. Stock 13.5, 17.5 alike. I'm running HT/HT Maxzilla kill shot in 17.5 and Shuur speed in 13.5 w/o any modification on the motor. I was mainly talking about 13.5 but 17.5 is no different.
so give is youre track condition, track size, and motor setup.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My friend, everybody knows that LOL. I'm talking about stock setting. "Blinky" mode. If your ESC doesn't blink when turned on, that means your boost is on, which is illegal unless you run modified(means boost).
Just checking the obvious nothing was said about running blinky in the first post
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

so give is youre track condition, track size, and motor setup.
Large outdoor asphalt track with medium traction with large sweeper and long straight away about 25-30 meters.
FDR on 17.5 is 3.7, 4.2 on 13.5. Those I mentioned use same 4.2 FDR according to them on 13.5T class.
On 17.5, I still TQ most of the times because those faster ones don't run that class. If somebody(supposedly did something on something LOL) brings out in that class, I get behind(looks very clear) on the straightaway. I catch them up(cuz I'm better driver than them and HT/HT Maxzilla helps) in corners and then get passed again on the straight. That somebody is usually not even my match on usual days but all of sudden they get really fast occasionally. But I think they may boost their ESC. Those I mentioned on 13.5T are different though.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Just checking the obvious nothing was said about running blinky in the first post
Old 07-22-2014, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Large outdoor asphalt track with medium traction with large sweeper and long straight away about 25-30 meters.
FDR on 17.5 is 3.7, 4.2 on 13.5. Those I mentioned use same 4.2 FDR according to them on 13.5T class.
On 17.5, I still TQ most of the times because those faster ones don't run that class. If somebody(supposedly did something on something LOL) brings out in that class, I get behind(looks very clear) on the straightaway. I catch them up(cuz I'm better driver than them and HT/HT Maxzilla helps) in corners and then get passed again on the straight. That somebody is usually not even my match on usual days but all of sudden they get really fast occasionally. But I think they may boost their ESC. Those I mentioned on 13.5T are different though.
what rotor are you using? what is your timing setting?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Timing Setting on the Motor, Rotor Size will both change motor RPM - two "same brand" motors MAY need different FDR's - two "Different Brand" motors will almost always need different FDR's.

Just way too many variables to play GUESSING Games and give a "Real Answer"

Other things -

Driving Style ... how and where do you enter/exit corners, and do you blip, roll or let ALL the way off the throttle entering a corner, and how quick can you pick the throttle back up coming off?

How much steering rate are you using in the corners (Are you KILLING your speed with a car that is scrubbing speed away?) - often guys use 100% steering rate cause they don't know any different, and KILL their speed -

Solding wires to motor from ESC or using Plugs? Good Solder Joints? (bad solder joints cause a lot of resistance, and can cause motor to not perform as well - and cause heat in the wires. Poor wire choice (use good High Strand Count, Flexible, LARGE gauge Silicone wire)

Choice of ESC - "Not ALL Blinky ESC's perform "The Same"

LET Someone else drive your car - who runs a faster car - see how it runs for them, and what THEY have to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.