Used Mi4 CXL or T3 2012 or a new Mi5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Used Mi4 CXL or T3 2012 or a new Mi5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Used Mi4 CXL or T3 2012 or a new Mi5?

Hi guys,

I am a seasoned off roader (1/8 E buggy and truggy, 1/10 SC and 1/5 petrol SC) that has decided to give the asphalt a try, seeing as my club has a great track 10 minutes from my house and the weather in the UK means the off road track is often unusable!

So, after doing some research and popping down to the track on Tuesday evening, I have located 3 potential cars, and wondered what your thoughts were:

1) One of the local guys (I know him from the off road track) has a near mint Mi4 CXL he would sell me, and it comes with all electrics already fitted, with a decent shell, so is ready to go. Price is £200

2) I have found a mint T3 2012 roller from an unknown source, no shell. Been used only indoors. Price is £100

3) Currently, the residual stock of Mi5's is selling new for £199.

So, what would you do? The fact that electrics are included is good from the fact that it saves me from researching them, but it is not a deal breaker as I actually already have a Tekin RS Pro from my short course truck, and radio gear, so it is just servo and motor I need, which are not that dear. What concerns me more is working out gear ratio's and fitting shells!

I have never raced a touring car, or even driven them, but we do hold the winter off road series at the on road circuit, so I do have some experience with the track it's self, and I have been driving rc cars for 25 odd years, starting in the 80's with 1/10 buggies indoors.

Is it worth me spending the extra money on something like the Mi5, or are the advantages they offer wasted on me being a noob at TC's? If the answer is the older cars are just as competitive for me, then which is the better deal, Mi4 or T3?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Matt
Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I think option #1 is very good for you, especially if running on asphalt.