R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   on road shaft driven....tb04, tc4..? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/825413-road-shaft-driven-tb04-tc4.html)

jeninjohnk 07-17-2014 08:30 AM

on road shaft driven....tb04, tc4..?

looking for on road car for some parking lot racing fun. Was looking at the tt02 but by the time u add bearings, oils shocks, shaft.. up getting closer to a mid level vehicle.. so my question is. What's the difference between tc4 and tbo4? Is it even worth the extra money for some one who is just runningng around and not racing or just stick with the tt02?... I don't beat the heck out of my vehicles. Little rocks are a real problem, so shaft drive is the only option..i like working on them...so that's not a issue with a kit type car.any help would be great! I want to run the Ferrari 458 body. Thanks

ThePanda 07-17-2014 11:10 AM

I would reccomend the xv01 since the ride height. Can be raised up higher that the other cars, but the only chassis the Ferrari will fit are the low profile lay down shocks body or ones with low shock towers

IndyRC_Racer 07-17-2014 11:40 AM

A big difference between the Tamiya TB04 & Associated TC4 is that the TB04 has gear diffs (a good option when racing). If you are considering racing at all, the TB04 is a good option.

As the previous poster mentioned, the Tamiya XV01 would be a great "bashing" platform. Here is a link on their website (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58526). The one issue I see is trying to mount a low profile body, which might hit the gearboxes/shock towers.

jeninjohnk 07-17-2014 12:33 PM

I saw a video on YouTube with the xvo1. The guy was running it on gravel with no top on it....pretty cool...the tb04 looks like a cool build... it's kind of where I was leaning.. the diff between the tt and the tb was about 100.00 so it's not that far apart. I would be going brushless either way.. by the time u but the tt and bearing and shocks.. there are neck and neck

Qatmix 07-17-2014 04:25 PM

I have all 3. The TT02 is great as a base level car, you can easily raise it for slightly rougher surfaces. The XV01 is the best bashed onroad chassis ever made in my opinion, you can race it, rally it or drift it, and the chassis is tough. However the front mounted motor will stop you fitting a range of shells. I don't know if the Ferrari shell will fit on he xv01. The tb04 is great, and a promising racer, the car is not as versatile if you want an all out rally car but for onroad it's really good and handles well, it's also able to fit the lower shells like the Ferrari.

TT02 build and review
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TB04 build and review
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/11/ta...nd-review.html

TB03Racer09 07-18-2014 05:50 AM

Having owned a tt02 and currently owning a tb04, I would say the extra $100 is worth it, you get a much better car.

jeninjohnk 07-18-2014 10:39 AM

Just ordered the kit tb04! :) by the time I bought shocksnbearings, center shaft.. the difference ended up being 25.00..no brainer.. i didn't get the 458 I wanted but the Leferrari will give me something to putts around with. Thanks for all ur help! Now got to find me a motor and servo...i already have a MMP to throw at it...

ThePanda 07-18-2014 12:49 PM

be careful with that car. running on asphalt with any sand or dust or little pebbles, they will still find a way into the spur and pinion gear. Thats why i recommended the xv01... completely sealed drivetrain.

jeninjohnk 07-18-2014 07:30 PM

can anyone recommend a motor and gearing?from what i can find looks like 13.5 turn motor. stock gearing is 66t spur and 25t pinion.

addicted2blue 07-20-2014 02:17 AM

You could have bought the TT-02D version, this kit comes with oil dampers, full bearings, motor heatsink and reinforced parts and costs about half the price of a TB04.
This would have been my choice if it's just for racing on a parking lot and it would have give you some extra money to spend on a body, motor/esc combo.
A TB04 is in my opinion an entry club level car and therefor more suitable for racing then for a parking lot.

Just my opinion

jeninjohnk 07-21-2014 06:40 PM

Probably a good suggestion.. so I bought a tt02 also! Lol.. see which one I like better

addicted2blue 07-22-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeninjohnk (Post 13416000)
Probably a good suggestion.. so I bought a tt02 also! Lol.. see which one I like better

The TB04 is a more advanced chassis and should drive better, but for racing in a parking lot i find this chassis over qualified.
With the right setup, a TT02 chassis can do wel in racing, but this depends on setup and driver.
I personal like the TT02 very much cause it has more potential then most of the pilots will admit.
In the meantime, enjoy the building :)

jeninjohnk 08-03-2014 10:22 AM

Alrighty! So I got the tt02 with some hop ups ...since it was together I put the electronics in to try it out....this chassis is more than plenty for bashing around the parking lot!.. looks like the tb04 is going up forsale....it came with a lrp17.5 motor...22 gear..it was a snail on 2 s...but 3 s really brought to life... now for some tires...the stock tamiya ones are probably great for drifting around..but nothing else.... i did some searching...seems like the solarous are some good asphalt tires.... anyone have a different suggestions? The hpi x patterns look pretty decent.

ThePanda 08-03-2014 11:02 AM

The tb04 is better. Much less play and less flexible materials. It also had an adjustable motor mount, and a better design with tunable diffs.

While the tt02 is good, getting it as good as a tb04 is just not worth it.

danb1974 08-03-2014 11:08 AM

Besides tt lacking basic things like bearings, oil shocks

tb line has mostly metal transmission (as you would expect in any modern car), whereas the tt line has plastic all around (including plastic dogbones)

tb is adjustable (turnbuckles, droop screws), tt is not

I thought the tb04 also has sealed transmission...? I know the tb03 and 02 has.