R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Considering Racing TC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/822974-considering-racing-tc.html)

Photocycler 07-03-2014 10:34 AM

Considering Racing TC

Many years ago I used to race a nitro serpent inroad, I have an extensive history of racing offroad—I have run just about every type of car/truck electric and gas.

Want to get back into racing, I raced WGT at a carpet track for a few months and loved it—the only thing I didn't like was it was a very competitive class and only about 6-8 or cars. So wanting to get back in I am considering going with a 4wd TC. I can run on an outdoor track in summer and carpet in winter—I loved the simplicity of the WGT pan car and it was very inexpensive.

With the TC class being the biggest and wider range of competition it seems ideal. I do not want to invest a bunch of time and money and have a car that breaks often—is this unrealistic for racing a TC?

klaymon 07-03-2014 10:48 AM

Out of all the classes I've ever run in on road and off road I've found TC to be the last expensive from a repair/maintenance perspective. I own an Xray so the up front cost is high but I don't go through parts. In all of my time running carpet, I've broken probably 3 parts.

DesertRat 07-03-2014 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by klaymon (Post 13377492)
Out of all the classes I've ever run in on road and off road I've found TC to be the last expensive from a repair/maintenance perspective. I own an Xray so the up front cost is high but I don't go through parts. In all of my time running carpet, I've broken probably 3 parts.

^^^^^^^ THIS

Touring Car is the cheapest racing I have ever done in my life apart from the up-front cost, especially if the racing is spec tire. With gear diffs and keeping the car clean your maintenance will be minimal.

WheelNut 07-03-2014 02:28 PM

I agree with the other 2 posters. As a former hardcore off-road guy I was afraid getting into TC because I thought it would be super expensive like nitro buggy was, but it is the cheapest class I've ever raced. I run a Xray T3 2010 and I'm plenty competitive at the club level. Xray cars are tough to break and long wearing (bonus: no dirt to wear things!) so the maintenance costs are low. I've found tire life to be better than in off-road too, and the tires are cheaper. The only thing that wears a lot faster in on-road is bodies- they are a bit like buggy rear wings.

thecaptain 07-03-2014 02:37 PM

Mainly you'll be going through bodies, and tires, once you've dove head first into the hobby. One piece of advice" You get what you pay for". You buy a 200 dollar car and youve got a not so awesome piece of junk that is going to require a lot of work. Buy a more expensive 600 dollar car. You've got a nice shinny car to pummel into the nearest wall of your choice haha. How often you replace tires and bodies is dependent on what class you race. And of course how competitive you would like to be. Maintenance isnt too costly, a bottle of shock oil here and there.

nf_ekt 07-03-2014 02:42 PM

"Budget" cars have come a long way. the Sakura XI sport is actually a pretty good car for having such a low price.

That said. Getting a used Xray and swapping in some new bearings is a near fool-proof way to do it in the cheap. Parts cost more, but you hardly have to replace them. I have a T3 2012 with the Exotek chassis I may be selling soon. But either way don't be scared of a more budget -priced kit. Spec-R is another one that is pretty good considering the price point.

klaymon 07-03-2014 08:31 PM

The Sakura Xi is actually a very good handling car, but fragile. Board taps that would be easily shaken off by the Xray (and most other cars for that matter) were race-ending on the Sakura. If you can run clean and stay off things, the Sakura would be a good choice. Just starting out? Not a good idea.

gooba 07-03-2014 08:51 PM

If your used to nitro cars and did well with them spend the extra upfront and buy a highend car. Serpent,X-ray and yokomo are top of the heap. Associateds tc6.2 is also a good car for a tad less money.

Carnage9270 07-03-2014 08:57 PM

The VBC's are kickin some tail as well.

trigger 07-03-2014 09:43 PM

Just do it, you'll have a blast. 17.5 tc is a pretty stable class. Look around your club and check out some chassis' and see what catches your fancy. Maybe spec tires at your club, should keep costs to a minimum.

Photocycler 07-03-2014 09:44 PM

So went to the track tonight and drove a TC..Im going for it. VBC is the local fave and is supported so thats what I will run. I may even start off with VTA class first to get going since its so easy to swap .

Qatmix 07-04-2014 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Photocycler (Post 13378643)
So went to the track tonight and drove a TC..Im going for it. VBC is the local fave and is supported so thats what I will run. I may even start off with VTA class first to get going since its so easy to swap .

Sounds like a good move, the VBC is really making an impact over here (UK) as well. Well built and fast!