R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Peak Battery Voltages... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/82203-peak-battery-voltages.html)

josh69162 08-26-2005 08:35 PM

Peak Battery Voltages...

I was just wondering what you guys are getting for peak voltage numbers. On my Novak Millenium, I get the following numbers with 4MV peak detection, and a 6 amp charge...

9.36 volts, 3714 mAh
9.45 volts, 3835 mAh
9.38 volts, 3882 mAh

Now, to set the record straight, I don't believe these numbers at all. As much as I would LIKE to, I just don't. I was just curious what you guys get and am trying to figure out what can cause these numbers...
-Josh

ChadCapece 08-26-2005 08:39 PM

Lower voltage and higher capacity are what you want. Lower voltage means that you will have more PUNCH and more capacity means you got more charge in the pack.

Marcos.J 08-26-2005 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Lower voltage and higher capacity are what you want. Lower voltage means that you will have more PUNCH and more capacity means you got more charge in the pack.

I thought it was the other way around more voltage more punch

RandomFellow 08-26-2005 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I thought it was the other way around more voltage more punch

You want more voltage during discharge, but you want to keep your peak voltage down, since peak voltage will increae with internal resistance.

josh69162 08-26-2005 09:18 PM

Great... resistance is just what I need... Is there a certain way to condition them to lower the IR?
-Josh

EDIT: Another variable to consider- The packs are relatively new. They have been used about 3 or 4 times, and the last time was after I equalized the packs for the first time to .9V/cell on a Smart Tray. After I run in the packs a bit, can I expect the PV to drop?
-Josh

Joe B 08-26-2005 09:33 PM

Maintenence zapping with a Integy DCX 3300 (or similar unit) will break up the crystaline structures that build up very quickly inside, causing increased resistance(less punch)......and/or, dead shorting (with select brand, and generation cells) can also slightly lower the internal resistance's.......the proper combination of both can yield better than bran new internal resistances for many months......I have some top of the line packs that are almost a year old that have better than new(advertised) internal resistances,and have held their match perfect by using the methods above...no noticable runtime loss either....During a charge, they peak out at around 8.70.....so their are ways to do it....but most times it's just easier to buy new batterys fairly often :cool:

Danny/SMC 08-26-2005 10:35 PM

Peak voltage is always relative to your charger. By this I mean that a pack that peaks at 9.35 on your charger may peak at 9.0 on another charger. Ambient temperature and airflow will also have an effect on peak voltage.

Higher mAh ratings at the end of the charge will most likely mean more mAh under discharge but this is not always the case. As a cell gets older the IR will increase thus making it harder for the charger to put in a charge so this will increase charge time which will increase mAh readings.

BigDogRacing 08-26-2005 10:47 PM

Poor solder joints will also cause higher mah readings due to higher resistance and more energy loss not contributing to cell charge.