Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RioImmagina
Well, i thougth that, with the 2016 model incoming, I could buy the 2015 for a good price 😌
For the time being, I don't intend to compete, just to have fun!
I see, then the '15 will do just fine.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R Dodge
I see, then the '15 will do just fine.
Is there any parts that need to be bought together with the kit? Some unavoidable spares?
What kind of wheels? Foam?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would get the same stuff.. mainly i would get a set of arms.. steering knuckles.. and castor blocks. maybe a spare spur gear.. couple pinion gears..
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Hello,
I'm happily running offroad outdoor with my Xb8e. Now that the season is about to end, i would like to keep driving indoor. The only nearby indoor club available runs 1:10 touring e-cars.
I'm highly satisfied with my buggy hence I would stick to xray.
After some investigation, looks like that the T4 is a most valid platform. But, compared to offroad, I had the impression of extreme complication, especially in terms of choice of electronics, rules, range of performance and tires...
My question is, would be the T4 suitable for casual driving? I mean, I would like to keep the wrenching time down to minimum and avoid to look all over for a bunch of hop ups part needed to drive straight...
You can see the track at www.arcb.ch
Ha! You're across the lake from Neuchatel. Can't see the track itself though, resolution not good enough. Been around there, didn't find the hobby shops, but I know a very good Xray shop near Zurich (well, about 1/2 hour on the train). Shouldn't be a problem with spares for you. Much better than here where the closest shop is in HK.

The thing with TC is the grip. There's much more of it than in offroad. Hence a lot of problems. A motor makes a lot of difference, setup makes a lot of difference, a tyre makes a lot of difference and so on. Hence the many rules and constraints. Much more fun I would say. When things work, that is. Not so much when they don't.

You'll be fine with the T4. Not much spannering to do if you don't hit things much, and even then, Xray is perhaps the toughest car on the market. Most of the spannering is going to be setup (if you care). Not if you don't.

Have fun.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
#1. Yes to 2s
#2. Depends on your track size and such, I start around 3.80-3.90 FDR
#3. Hold on to your hat, they have lots of torque.
Ok, I just ordered the 1s. I am just stupid when it comes to gearing. What is the formula to use to determine the FDR? The car currently has 64P - 96T Spur on it.
Also what brand pinions do most of you use for 64P? Going off a recommendation of another member I was going to start with a 45T pinion. But I would like to know how to determine the actual ratio I am running too.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by niznai
Ha! You're across the lake from Neuchatel. Can't see the track itself though, resolution not good enough. Been around there, didn't find the hobby shops, but I know a very good Xray shop near Zurich (well, about 1/2 hour on the train). Shouldn't be a problem with spares for you. Much better than here where the closest shop is in HK.

The thing with TC is the grip. There's much more of it than in offroad. Hence a lot of problems. A motor makes a lot of difference, setup makes a lot of difference, a tyre makes a lot of difference and so on. Hence the many rules and constraints. Much more fun I would say. When things work, that is. Not so much when they don't.

You'll be fine with the T4. Not much spannering to do if you don't hit things much, and even then, Xray is perhaps the toughest car on the market. Most of the spannering is going to be setup (if you care). Not if you don't.

Have fun.
Thank you niznai, I didnt think to the traction as cause of such diversity. Now I see.
Indeed in offroad I still spend a lot of time in tuning and wrenching (I love the stuff, yet it's very time consuming) but finally differences are limited. I see good drivers rocking with old and cheap equipment and bad drivers with state of the art stuff still very slow.
No real problems for xray parts availability in CH. And sometimes it worth to buy even oversea. Which xray shop close to zurich you're talking about?
Btw you can see the track in the promo video of the club in the welcome page. Looks small but nice. I'd love an asphalt 1/8 track, but there isn't...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slapjack
Ok, I just ordered the 1s. I am just stupid when it comes to gearing. What is the formula to use to determine the FDR? The car currently has 64P - 96T Spur on it.
Also what brand pinions do most of you use for 64P? Going off a recommendation of another member I was going to start with a 45T pinion. But I would like to know how to determine the actual ratio I am running too.
Thanks
Spur/pinion X drive ratio(1.9 for T4) = FDR
96/45=2.133 X 1.9= 4.0533
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Is there any parts that need to be bought together with the kit? Some unavoidable spares?
What kind of wheels? Foam?
So Daniel hit on some things that you should look into. Arms don't really break much. C-hubs and steering blocks are usually the only thing that break and that is generally not a common issue. The c-hubs come in the kit as medium, though you may want to consider getting hards as they are a little more durable. The steering blocks are already hard in the kit but some extras of those are good to have.

The only hop-up I'd really recommend are the ECS. I prefer Xray because they don't force you to use a 3mm wide bearing like some of the aftermarket options do. IMO the 3mm bearing fails too quickly, so I feel the Xray ECS is less maintenance. However, the Xray ECS is generally 2x the cost of aftermarket options which is 1 huge selling point for the aftermarket versions.

You may also consider picking up some of the optional springs (comes with 2.5 front and rear) and the graphite arms. The car can be competitive on any surface with these options.

Regarding tires, I would imagine that would be determined by what your track/club runs. Most likely a rubber tire and they may spec a specific brand & compound.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

good point dodge.. i completly forgot about the ECS shafts.. that is the first thing i upgraded.. my bad on that..
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slapjack
Thanks
there is an app on the google play store.. called RC Final GearRatio that i downloaded.. it has the T4 in there.. so all you do.. is put in your spur, and pinion.. and hit calculate.

the thing about finding the right FDR for each track.. usually.. i just see what other guys are running.. and get mine in that ballpark.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112
there is an app on the google play store.. called RC Final GearRatio that i downloaded.. it has the T4 in there.. so all you do.. is put in your spur, and pinion.. and hit calculate.

the thing about finding the right FDR for each track.. usually.. i just see what other guys are running.. and get mine in that ballpark.
I'll deff check put that app thanks. There was a description I had read for one of the 17.5 short stack motors that said gear ratio should be between 3.2-3.7??
One other question I have. I bought this t4 off a rct member ad I was just looking thru the manual and noticed that there are no C hubs on the car for the ARS... Do those come in the kit or do you have to buy those as option parts?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Those come in the kit. Little baggy of parts..
Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112
Those come in the kit. Little baggy of parts..
Yea that's what I figured...
Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R Dodge
So Daniel hit on some things that you should look into. Arms don't really break much. C-hubs and steering blocks are usually the only thing that break and that is generally not a common issue. The c-hubs come in the kit as medium, though you may want to consider getting hards as they are a little more durable. The steering blocks are already hard in the kit but some extras of those are good to have.

The only hop-up I'd really recommend are the ECS. I prefer Xray because they don't force you to use a 3mm wide bearing like some of the aftermarket options do. IMO the 3mm bearing fails too quickly, so I feel the Xray ECS is less maintenance. However, the Xray ECS is generally 2x the cost of aftermarket options which is 1 huge selling point for the aftermarket versions.

You may also consider picking up some of the optional springs (comes with 2.5 front and rear) and the graphite arms. The car can be competitive on any surface with these options.

Regarding tires, I would imagine that would be determined by what your track/club runs. Most likely a rubber tire and they may spec a specific brand & compound.
Thank you guys, you're being most helpful.
Question: what is an ECS?
Regarding the wheels... I've read worrysome reports of rubber wheels destroyed in one pack and alchemy treatment to gain some grip. That's why I ask. Foam tires are very cheap...
Old 09-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Tryin to figure out a couple things.
1. What is the purpose of this spec r upper deck pivoting ball system. It was on the car when I got it. But it makes the op deck arched instead of flat. What's the purpose? More flex?
Attached Thumbnails Xray t4'15-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.