Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Congratulations to Bruno, Alexander and Team Xray on an outstanding job at the Worlds!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
Bando make about a million different grades of belt, not all are equal.

Bearings are 'the' most overrated bit of RC equipment made, about the only difference between bearings, is if it spins free or not, and if it's clean or not, ceramic bearings don't make you faster, just poorer.

Best thing to do with bearings, when they get dirty/gritty, throw them in a bin and fit new ones, the cheap ones these days spin as true as the expensive ones, we don't stress them enough in RC to make any gains by using anything special.
Funny you should say that.

I can believe that Bando might make a million grades of belt, I can not see why would Yokomo get the better ones?

At the same time if the difference between belts is so important, why would bearings not be the same? They don't come in a million different grades?!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Xray belts are made to be lighter in weight, with more Kevlar and less rubber on them. The Yokomos are the opposite.

As for bearings, there are all kinds of different ratings and combinations. Also, depending on the factory, the quality will vary highly. XRAY bearings spin super free and have high quality races and balls that give ok durability, but since they are oiled and not greased they tend to last a little bit less. The Yoke bearings are sort of middle to high grade shielded bearings, that give pretty good durability at the expense of a little "free-ness". Their high grade bearings are more in line with the XRAY stuff, but with metallic, instead of rubber seals.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Xray belts are made to be lighter in weight, with more Kevlar and less rubber on them. The Yokomos are the opposite.

As for bearings, there are all kinds of different ratings and combinations. Also, depending on the factory, the quality will vary highly. XRAY bearings spin super free and have high quality races and balls that give ok durability, but since they are oiled and not greased they tend to last a little bit less. The Yoke bearings are sort of middle to high grade shielded bearings, that give pretty good durability at the expense of a little "free-ness". Their high grade bearings are more in line with the XRAY stuff, but with metallic, instead of rubber seals.
And one step above, you have the bearings I mentioned before which have very small tolerance (very smooth, no play), and ceramic balls (very fast - rated at 100k rpm), better steel and last longer (steel shielded) but are more expensive. Are they worth it? Well, you make the call. On carpet (or places where they can't get crap in) I think they are.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think on bearings, straight up, no bs, the difference is negligible at best. It may play a role in VTA, maybe USGT. Once the bearings are broken in, the difference becomes even smaller. Having proper Gear mesh will make a bigger difference on your speed.

The higher grade bearings and especially ceramics last longer though, which I think is where the benefit truly is.

Motors today are so powerful and efficient (even the stock ones) that the drag of the drive train is not as crucial as it was in the past.

The corollary to that though is this hobby is about marginal gains. If you can benefit from 10 items that each make up 0.01 seconds per lap, you have gained 0.1 per lap. Over 6 minutes, on a 10.0 second per lap track, this translates to 3.6 seconds.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pcar951
Congratulations to Bruno, Alexander and Team Xray on an outstanding job at the Worlds!
i went to watch the worlds and bruno was a force to reconize his car was faster than volker and nato in my opinion he drove the wheels off he done really well
Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In stock at Stormer.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Is it me, or the diagram in the manual for the offset spur gear has it backward?!?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Mine shipped today from amain
Old 10-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Is it me, or the diagram in the manual for the offset spur gear has it backward?!?
I think it's just you. Put the manual down, quit trying to find mistakes and enjoy the new car.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Adept

^^^^^ like
Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
I think it's just you. Put the manual down, quit trying to find mistakes and enjoy the new car.
2nd that!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Odin544
Just let him enjoy his manual for god sake Different people find pleasure in different things. By the way it's cheaper to play with the manual then with the car
Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

XRAY web site was update new ver. manual !
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Well this car is the first Xray car I have built. It is pretty nice, the only thing that I have disliked so far is the gear diff. Trying to put the gasket, and o ring on the top and sandwiching them together is rather difficult. But the rest of the car is very nice! Can't wait to make laps with it tonight!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.